Kickstarter problems (125cc gpx)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minibiker

Reaction score
I'm having problems with my engine it is a 125cc gpx engine, sometimes when i kick it over its fine sometimes it kicks but feels like it grinds on something but dosent turn over when that happens, wondering what could be the problem?

it sounds like something is damaged inside the case?
take the cover off the r/h side of the motor

Should i drain the oil first or just lean it to one side?

it would be easier if you drained the oil first, check out the oil filter screen too while you are at it

it would be easier if you drained the oil first, check out the oil filter screen too while you are at it

What you mean check out the oil filter screen while im at it?

you dont have to drain the oil... just tip the bike on its left but you may aswell...

the oil filter, you will know what it is when you pull the side cover off the engine and all yo will need to do is clean it out (its like a siv to stop large things getting stuck in oil galleries and whatnot

Yeah i know what the oil filter is mty bad i was thinking of something else, so if i just put it on the side i dont need to take the oil out, cause im thinking would be easier

There might be another screen inside the case too, mine has one, it's a rectangle screen mesh. Drain the oil out big fella, much cleaner and easier.

It may be your kick start gears are gone.

it may be easier but if you have a damaged a gear you will want to drain the oil.. to find the missing teeth

Yeah phil i was thinking that aswell, what i was wondering is that when i get it on the right kick/compression its fine but when i do random kick overs it happens, does me riding the bike affect it or just when i kick cause im planning on going frankston this weekend

Mate I have the same problem. Most likely it's a tooth off the kick start gears. I was pretty worried at first but I can still kick it over. Happens once every 20 starts. Hopefully I'm not doing extra damage....

But I know it will need to be fixed soon. Hope it gets me through this weekend.....

Mate I have the same problem. Most likely it's a tooth off the kick start gears. I was pretty worried at first but I can still kick it over. Happens once every 20 starts. Hopefully I'm not doing extra damage....

But I know it will need to be fixed soon. Hope it gets me through this weekend.....

Mines been like this for 3 weeks the last time i went riding it was like this, im just curious if it does any damage when you ride aswell

Mines been like this for 3 weeks the last time i went riding it was like this, im just curious if it does any damage when you ride aswell

if you slosh the oil around eg jump or hit a bump you could push the tooth into the gearbox, clutch gears and make for more labour than just replacing a gear to replacing a gearbox and also doing the prick of a job and splitting the case

Could possibly be a broken kickstart shaft by the mention of grinding, Could also be some damaged kicker gears or a bearing drama, im just thinking worst case right now and it could be something simple but the mention of grinding always makes me feel like something is broken.

when i mean grinding like i kick it gets abit stucj and goes down smoothly but dosent kick over then yeah

if you slosh the oil around eg jump or hit a bump you could push the tooth into the gearbox, clutch gears and make for more labour than just replacing a gear to replacing a gearbox and also doing the prick of a job and splitting the case

Hmm ive gone riding twice since this has started and i ride at frankston, havent had any problems like that yet and i hope i dont but ill try open it up next week and have a look

This pic here of a yx 4 valve 160 was still running okay when bump started and would grind when kick started but would not of lasted longer.
20130212_154127_zpsbf8f8b98.jpg

20130212_154200_zpsc1e0d81d.jpg

Used to have a yx160 was a beast of an engine, and im thinking if its a broken tooth in the engine if i drain the oil and nothing comes out could that be there isnt a broken tooth and could be something else?

Okay, sounds like there could be a tooth or two damaged. Sounds like the right side case and clutch needs removing to check it out.

The little mesh screen should stop anything from getting thru and into the oil drain bucket, and if still in solid tooth form it will prob just fall down and sit without moveing around. Only way to really tell is to pull the clutch case off and remove the clutch and check the gears. The mesh screen can also be removed once the clutch cover is off.

Latest posts

Back