KLX 110 stock - carb clean and starting issues

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JL35

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 04' KLX 110 and it stopped running a year or two ago and I'm just now looking into it because I need to sell it. Anyway, so I've ripped the whole bike apart then I took the OEM carb off with the choke and throttle cable and then I took it apart to see what was wrong or if anything was dirty.

At first glance, there's no noticeable contaminants past the butterfly or in the throttle assembly tube with the pin. That long steel pin looked pretty nice so I uh deeper and took the carb bowl off and bam. Silty crusty crap everywhere. Get the carb cleaner stat!!!

So then I doused the carb bowl and the other side with carb cleaner, then I took the floater thing out with its pin and the smaller bullet looking piece which looked ok. so I used more carb cleaner, steel wool and a brass brush to cleaner the carb then I took two other parts out of that area and I forget what they are called but they are brass cylinders with pinholes for fuel to shoot out of. They were clogged up so I used a needle and compressed air to clean them and I cleaned the part they screw into as well. Btw everything got its share of carb cleaner. I also removed a screw which I think was part of an overfill system because that part was also filthy. This is about as much as I did as far as cleaning, so I put everything back together and then bolted the carb back on the manifold.

Also while taking the carb off, I noticed that fuel still flows from my fuel switch in the "OFF" position so I guess that thing is broken.

I put the exhaust back on (I had to remove it since my cylinder was flooded from fuel from a cheap China carb I tried to retrofit before)
Throttle cable back together on handlebars
Half choke
Decent fuel
Fuel line attached n clamped

So from here I put the switch on "FUEL" and then I tried to kick start it and it would not go. I tried every chick position, then tried adjusting the fuel screw and still nothing.

I never rebuilt the carb, only cleaned it but I will probably end up rebuilding it anyway but the bike should at least start right? Buts it not. When I get home today I am going to lookin whatever the eantral start switch is and remove it, eliminating that variable.

Have I done something wrong? Do I need to do something else? Maybe I need to tune my carb to a baseline tune. I live at sea level.

May not be the carb at all although cleaning the jets out if they were blocked will most definitely help.

Are you sure you put it back together correctly?

Does it have spark?

Latest posts

Back