klx650r front brake master clyinder conversion

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam93

VIC MR Ride Day Organiser
Reaction score
Hey guys, been meaning to do a few tuts. So heres one to start.

Here I have a 1993-96 Kawasaki klx650 front brake master cylinder fitted to a standard front single pot brake.

Here is what the master itself looks like:
P1010303.jpg
[/IMG]
P1010310.jpg
[/IMG]

What you will need:

-8mm & 12mm Spanner
-New master cylinder
-Quality brake fluid, can be bought from any auto store and most service stations.

Optional upgrades:

-New 2x M6 x 30mm bolts if you want to replace the stock ones. I like to replace everything with allen key head bolts.
-New lines if your old ones are getting a bit old, braided is always the way to go.
-Better brake depending on your forks you could get a big twin pot to fit straight on.
-Round brake disc, If you have wave disc this is another good upgrade. With more surface contact with the pads youll get more braking power. and the wave discs also rip up your brake pads.
-New brake pads, if your old ones are worn you need new ones.

Installation:
1. First what you have to do is get your 12mm spanner and remove the banjo bolt (the bolt that holds the brake line to the master cylinder) Watch out as some brake fluid will leak out and is known to strip paint.
2. Get your 8mm spanner and remove the 2 bolts holding the clamp onto the original master cylinder on the bike.
3. Bolt up new master cylinder with the same 2 bolts or replace with new ones.
4. Reconnect the brake line to the master cylinder with the banjo bolt (12mm spanner) OR if you want to replace the line disconnect the other end from the brake caliper again with the 12mm spanner. And then connect the new brake line to the brake and master cylinder.
5. Now it is all installed and your ready to bleed your brakes refer to this video by masterspoon.
YouTube - ‪Pitbike brake bleeding‬‏
All done :)...

If you are really anal you can paint the master cylinder up.

What you will need:

- Some way of removing the paint, if you have your own sandblaster, or have paint stripper you can use that. but take it easy with the sand blaster as it is alloy and can damage it. Other wise you can pick up a wire brush attachment wheel from your local hardware store for a few dollars.
- Paint, Self ecthing primer, colour of your choice and clear if you want it to be really shiny.
- Prepsol or another grease and dirt removing agent designed for painting.
1. Strip all of the paint off.
2. Clean it with prepsol.
3. Mask up the 2 screws on top of the master that hold on the cap and also any rubber...
4. Start applying your primer, for the first coat do it lightly then once it is dry do a second coat getting good coverage.
5. Apply your paint again with a light coat to start then 2 good coats getting good coverage. Wait for it to completely dry then go to next step.
6. Now it is time to apply your clear coat, do the same process as step 5.

Tips:
- Aerosol paint cans work a lot better when you warm them up, get a bucket and fill it up with hot water and let them sit in the water for 10 minutes or so before painting also aided with a good shake. This will make a good difference with metalic paints. Also let it cure well, give it a few days before you tighten bolts up tight on the paint.

How to change your brake disc.

What you will need:
-Allen key
-17 & 19mm spanner.
(optional)
-New bolts 4 x m8 x 20mm

Steps:
1. Remove your front wheel by getting your 17 & 19mm spanner and take out the axle, your spacers will fall off so make sure you dont loose them. then pull the wheel out.
2. Get your allen key and take out the 4 bolts holding the disc on.
3. Put your new disc on and bolt it back up tightly.

Tips: Measure your old disc before you buy the new one, you dont want to buy the wrong size!
Pic:
P1010305.jpg
[/IMG]

How to change your brake pads. (I did not need to change mine so here is a tut from Sean01)

http://www.miniriders.com/running-gear/31505-brake-pad-replacement-lxr-cini-revmx-thumpsters.html

Benefits?
It has a much better feel to the brake, it is a lot more gradual. My standard master had a bad feel and was alot more stiff and had the on off feeling. Now with the new master i can brake harder easier and is a lot better all round. Yes it would be a lot better again if you converted to jap brakes, but this is a cheap easy upgrade to do, you can find a good master cylinder on ebay for around $20.

Sorry I do not have pictures with the steps I had taken heaps of photos but my iphone crashed and I lost everything. It is a very simple mechanically I am sure everyone will understand it fine.

If you have any questions or things to add in feel free to post.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back