ktm 50 knock off review

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, i thought i might post up a bit of a review on the little ktm knock off my son has been riding for the last 10 months. We are just about to sell it on and up grade to a geared bike so i thought i may as well let other ppl know what i thought of it before she goes.

The bike was bought brand new august last year for my seven year old. This picture was taken on his birthday, first ride :)

ENGINE

We bought the water cooled version, and tbh i havnt had a problem with engine what so ever. It has plenty of punch for the novice, if not maybe a little to much for a first timer. The big power pipe looks great, and it sounds tops when you get it on the pipe. I have heard of issues with no locating lugs on the water pump but no such problems here. The only complaint i really have engine wise is the poor quality rubber used for the carby intake and air filter boot. Both are showing signs of perishing, little minute cracks through the surface. If i was keeping the bike any longer i would replace them both with oem ktm items. I also have no doubt there is more power to be had in the engine with a little work and some real ktm internals etc.

SUSPENSION

The rear shock is definately NOT designed for jumping but does do a fair job on the bumpy stuff. The front end felt quite good from new, but was the only thing to give me any real issues. The triples on the stock set up are made of very poor quality material and the steel head stem actually slopped the bottom triple out and made it un rideable. I ended up swapping a set of 660mm usd forks and pitster triples onto the front end which solved that problem ;)

FRAME

The chinese seem to have done a good job copying the kato frame, with everything seeming to line up really well. Once again i wouldnt be jumping it, i doubt the chinese used strong enough alloy to take much of a beating. In saying that my youngest did jump it occasionally, no more than 7/800mm in height and length but t did take that fine.

ERGONOMICS

My seven year old is quite short, and struggled to touch the ground but had no problems riding it for hours!!! He never complained about seating postion, arm pump etc but then again he was happy just to have a new bike so all i really heard was how well it went ;)

CONCLUSION

Overall its a decent 2nd/3rd bike for a 7 to 10 year old to ride around the paddocks in or a first racer, but dont expect it to last anymore than the first season on its standard suspension. For the price, its hard to argue with how much fun my son had on it, and i have had a lot of interest on re sale priced at 400. If i was to rate it out of ten as a kids bike, it gets a six, and is only held to that because of the weak suspension set up stock.

This is how it sits now, awaiting its new owner to pick it up

Ahh man I got to work on one of these little things. And man do they sound awesome. Plenty of grunt too.
I see what you mean about the suspension mate I sat on it and the shock completely collapsed so riding it was out of the question :(
But I have been hearing about the KTM 65 copy that cob and co are doing and have heard that they are really good step up from the little 50s
Good review mate reps to you.

cheers mate, i have been looking at those to. they would be a heap of fun, i took this one for a little spin once, pulled me to its top speed fine so it would of felt wicked quick for my little fella

Have you got a link to Cobb and co where they sell these? Worth having a look at I recon...just out of interest! Didnt know they were even around...I still have plenty to learn, nice review!

ALL GOOD found it :thumbup:

Latest posts

Back