KTM 50 replica

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIK50

Reaction score
I got a big dilemer???
8 moths ago i bought my then 5yr old son a PeeWee 50 now that he has learnt to ride and jump the thing much to my horror he wants to go faster and make more noise, his 6th birthday is approachin and im lookin for something to give him his wish..

Lookin at a KTM 50 on the YAMOTO website but arent quite sure its cheap and not knowing wether ill have to upgrade him in another 6 months i aint to keen on shellin out 3-4000 bucks on a real ktm 50.

Any one had any expirence with the copy ktms????
Any one got any other suggestions the only other option im cosiderin at the monent is a crf50 or new ttr50, but dont know what sort of performance they will have and wether they will keep him happy?

i wouldent bring him up on a chep knock off. if i was u, i would buy a 2nd hand crf and mod the shit out of it over time for him, can get shit load of parts to make it a beast, he will love it for years and as he gets bigger do more mods 2 it :D:D

cheer s for the info guys, was sort of thinkin in the back of my head bout the ttr50 or maybe crf50 as a second obtion they also seem to be relatively cheap.
With the crf and ttr what sort of noise can aftermarket pipes get, still a tipical 4stroke growl ? or is there pipes out that make more of a scream( kid thinks noise is good and means fast)..... What size rims do they take only 10s or can they b upgraded to 12s at a latter date?

I Would Lean Towards a CRF50, Heaps Of Upgrades for Them and Can easily upgrade to the Bigger Wheels. But For The Money You Spend On a CRF You Could Get a Kick Ass China Bike. Your Call :wink:

buy him an 06 twin spar thumpstar, he will love u for ever. i will post up some links for u 2 look @ when i get home.

The KTM Copy is a piece of S**T saty away from it, it has big issues with the clutch,waterpump,front fork seals and the frame design is out slightly so the chain rubs on the frame!!!!!!!!!!! Buyer Beware!!

cheers again, looks like a crf or ttr is the go now ..........................................................
after careful consideration

the ttr yamaha is certainly a good bike but for the size you are after doesn,t produce the power like the crf, provert, motovert.

KTM 50cc Replica - questionable...

I have purchased a KTM rep 50cc motox bike for my 5 year old son last year. It has been about a 4 out of 10 in terms of satisfaction. The fuel tank came loose and I had to work out my own designs to get it to work, the bike has has ran intermittently and now I can not rotate the kick starter at all. I have replaced the fins in front of the radiator. I have also installed a KTM fuel filter. I have had much fuel in the exhaust. I have had to run the bike at extremely high rpms just to get the bike to go 5-7km/hr (walking speed). I was told to remove spring washers out from the clutch area so the bike didn't have to reved so high when wanting to ride it slowly.

We have run the bike a half dozen times. The fin parts seem to be replaceable by genuine KTM so the copying part of the bike appears to be pretty good. The bike was manufactured in China and cost about $800 Australian dollars. If I had to do it again, I would have bought a Yamaha PeeWee 50 and then jumped to Suzuki DR80. If anyone else has one of these reps I need to speak with them to learn what is the best way to proceed.:eek:

Do yaself a favour and go a good used real KTM 50. They will handle just about anything. DO NOT buy a fake KTM they are junk. also there is no such thing as a KICKASS china bike other than when it kicks his ass over his head on a jump. Stick with either a KTM 50 or find a KX 60 any year from about year 2000 onwards. They are cheap and easy to maintain.

My son races Div 2 bikes (aka KTM Pro Senior 50sx and the like)and I can tell you to keep these little bikes running well they take a LOT of maintenance.These are RACE bikes not Fun bikes they will overheat if rode around slowly as the clutches don't lock up till about 8000 rpm or higher so the clutch produces a lot of heat,so you need to ride them hard so the clutch locks up, if they are motorcrossed properly which is what they are designed for, high speed with plenty of air flow then they are no problem the clutches need fresh oil every 5 hours of rideing max we ussually change it every race meetings so it's not even 5 hours, the washes in the clutches loose the tenion over time and need to be replaced and readjusted,they need good quality 2stroke oil the stuff we use is $29.95 a litre, so is the gearbox oil and these are thirsty little bikes too and they do rip up back tyres too, and they are also LOUD little suckers you don't want them rideing round the back yard.So if you want a bike the kids can ride without to much maintenance that won't rip up tyres don't cost the earth to run on parts and oils and fuel then don't buy a KTM50sx or anyother divions 2 bike buy a CRF50 or a PeeWee 50/80 or a TT-R 50/90 or XR 70/80 something similar.If you want to race and want to be competitive buy a KTM and spend the bucks this may not be what you want to hear but thats the way it is,sure you can run the Katoom on cheap oils and not do so much maintenance and you'll get away with it for a while but it will soon bike you on the butt and cost ya big time.Thats when they call them a KABOOOM.
BIT

Last edited:
you don't have to run the ktm's with the race set up. If you have a good tuner(like Boxy) you can get the set up right to have the clutch work at the best setting for the rider. Sure they are built to race but I believe the guy said his kid wants to go biger and faster and unless he spends big on a crf50 or ttr 50/90 then he'll break them. If the kid wants a better bike then its a KTM he wants. Nothing else will take the beating a 5 1/2 year old can dish out. Either way you won't get out of it cheaply. If its a cheap sport ya want then get some footy boots.

better of just to get a 65... probably kx?

you don't have to run the ktm's with the race set up. If you have a good tuner(like Boxy) you can get the set up right to have the clutch work at the best setting for the rider. Sure they are built to race but I believe the guy said his kid wants to go biger and faster and unless he spends big on a crf50 or ttr 50/90 then he'll break them. If the kid wants a better bike then its a KTM he wants. Nothing else will take the beating a 5 1/2 year old can dish out. Either way you won't get out of it cheaply. If its a cheap sport ya want then get some footy boots.

Yeah I understand what ya saying,but if you tone down the clutch set up, then the 50sx looses alot of it's performance, plus if you do set them up so they slip alot then they tend to overheat and then they blow the clutch out more rapidly and the costs go up unfortuately.I was just trying to make them aware of the type of bike the 50sx is.I do have a few clutch set ups as in different washers stacks that I use for the kids as they progress through the 50sx.but really these are not a bike for rideing around a suburban back yard if you have land or a MX track then hell yeah get one they are a ripper of a little bike but like any high performance machine they take looking after or they cost you big time in the long run,thats all.
The 65's are much less maintanence as far as the clutches go and the might be the better way to go if the child is tall enough to touch the ground it,it just depends on the kids capabilities.
BIT

Latest posts

Back