KTM 85cc Motard build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go:

CLASS 5 (A & B): MINI MOTARD TWO & FOUR STROKE.
Age and capacity limitation
Seniors - 4 stroke up to 160cc auto or manual or 2 stroke up to 85cc auto or manual (as per MA 2011 rule book 15.21.6.1)
Juniors age 9 to under 13, 4 stroke up to 125cc auto or manual or 2 stroke 85cc auto or manual (as per MA 2011 rule book 15.21.8.1)
Juniors age 13 to under 16, 4 stroke up to 140cc auto or manual or 2 stroke 85cc auto or manual (as per MA 2011 rule book 15.21.8.2)

Class 5 / A – Chinese 4 stroke Example - Motovert, PitsterPro, Thumpstar, DHZ etc
5.1 Capacity: As mentioned above 4 stroke only.
5.2 Bike (frame), Engine, barrel and head must be Chinese manufacture.
5.3 Engine must be horizontal design.
5.4 Engine work unlimited (up to capacity for specific classes).
5.5 Fuel must comply with 2011 GRC 15.5.01
5.6 Engines may be air/oil cooled only, ( no watercooled ).
5.7 Gear box may be used.
5.8 Maximum wheel base: 1250mm
5.9 Frames: To be open cradle design/construction.
5.10 Maximum wheel size up to 12” front and up to 12” rear.
5.11 Treaded or slick road tyres must be used ( opposed to 2011 GRC 15.20.1.1 ).
5.12 No combustion enhancers such as NOS may be used and all bikes must be naturally aspirated.
5.13 PVC Axle and footpeg sliders must be used
5.14 Catch cans must be securely fastened and sealed (one vent hose per can permitted, must be at high point)
5.15 Bar ends must be PVC or soft alloy, Bark Busters are permitted.
5.16 Crank case breather hose must be secured at both ends and run to a catch can.

Class 5 / B – Open 2 and 4 stroke Example - Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, KTM, BBR, Takegawa etc
5.17 Capacity: As mentioned above.
5.18 Bike and engine may be of any country of origin (Euro, Japan, USA etc)
5.19 Engine may be horizontal or vertical design.
5.20 Engine work unlimited (up to capacity for specific classes).
5.21 Fuel must comply with 2011 GRC 15.5.01
5.22 Engines may be air/oil or watercooled. The only coolant permitted is water ( 2011 GRC 15.2.1.5 ).
5.23 Gear box maybe used.
5.24 Maximum wheel size up to 12” front and up to 12” rear.
5.25 Treaded or slick road tyres must be used ( opposed to 2011 GRC 15.20.1.1 ).
5.26 No combustion enhancers such as NOS may be used and all bikes may be naturally aspirated or EFI.
5.27 PVC Axle and footpeg sliders must be used
5.28 Catch cans must be securely fastened and sealed (one vent hose per can permitted, must be at high point)
5.29 Bar ends must be PVC or soft alloy, Bark Busters are permitted.
5.30 Crank case breather hose must be secured at both ends and run to a catch can or air filter box. Air filter box must be sealed with exception of air intake at high point.

Dont worry Pinky i already checked this before i bought the bike. i bought the bike after the rules came out.

wheelbase of KTM is 1,290 mm.

technically you could ride a 125cc KTM with a 85 engine transplant and must have 12 inch wheels. but why would you do that.

best bike to get would be the KTM 65 and put the 80cc bore kit on it. small potenent package. 55kg, wheelbase of 1,137mm and probably 26hp. Compared to the KTM 85cc of 66kg and wheelbase of 1,290 mm.

What Greeny said!!!

The ultimate for a quicker handling bike is the 65 chassis with an 80-85cc motor, but I'm not going to be the one investing R&D in that little project!!! I think athena make an 80cc big bore kit for the 65, but my experience with big bore kits is you don't gain much outright power just bottom end torque and they can be fickle things to set and jet right!!

Why not just get the Metrakit 70 and put the 80 bore kit on. all the set-up work has been done for you.:crucified:

Because arent they$13,000 or something for a new one.

18hp for the 70cc and 64kg. im not sold for that price.

the 80cc complete bike (bigger wheels) is 23hp and 79kg.

MINI GP 70

Last edited:
Yeah, they may seem down on power, but that is the stock unbreakable derbi. Clean up the barrel and get a decent pipe put on it will add some more power, but as everyone found out at Warrnambool and Phillip Island, the race isn't won by power, its won under brakes, corners and race craft.
The metrakit will smash anything that we have under brakes, into, through and out of the corners. Its a pure gp bike, not a dirt bike converted to road.
The same way big motards get easily beaten by a proper gp bike with the same capacity and engine. The suspension setup allows you to go go faster.

But then if you can spend that much money on a bike to race us you could afford to go racing big bikes on big tracks. So I don't ever see anyone turning up with a metrakit.

I paid 2k for my KTM and then spent 2k on it to make it into a worthy motard. I think I would rather the KTM over Metrakit.

my cr80 owes about $850 atm . parts supply could also be a drama . i saw some motard versions of the metrakit[youtube] , they looked very nice !!

Small update:

KTM parts prices have recently dropped through the floor.... woo hoo!!!
E.G. FMF shorty muffler $165
Fork caps $115
Front fender 450 SMR :) $49

All these price are there or thereabouts to ebay.

Here's pics with the SMR fender!!

picture073y.jpg

picture072m.jpg

Yeah I'm not big on advertising material on any of my bikes and a new standard sticker kit is on the cards, but I'd rather spend my money on things that make it faster!!! LOLOLOLOL.

Its looking pretty flash Ringo. Can't wait to see it up here flying around our track. Should be a reasonable field in the class 5B I reckon.

^^^^^ Too true, and I'm sure that thing would rip!

Yeah it goes alright, if you look back through the pics, I've been removing stickers all the way along, I keep pulling more and more off. But it looks really plain with the side stickers removed.

I'm really looking forward to riding your track CQ!! It looks awesome, I've always enjoyed tracks with gradient so it should be fun.

Latest posts

Back