kx60

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanalmighty

Reaction score
Wanted to get a pitbike ages ago, all chinese ones seem a bit sketchy and i wanted a 2 stroke, should i just get a kx60-65 or another big brand mini?
Cheers

You can be lucky but not verry often you will find a decent KX 60-65 in that price range

Will be ok to just dang around on, but it will be gutless af until it gets into band.Im 5 8, and my youngest sons 08 kx65 is a little cramped for me, but i weigh 90kg to lol.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

the two smokers are fun, but can be a handful. currently i am doing courier work on an nsr 150 sp, its a blast. but you have to drop down three gears on every hill to get into band, blah blah, yarda yarda. it rattles, it buzzes, it blows smoke when you give it some after its idled for a minute or so...

fourstroke...if you cant ride(ha ha), or like a nice smooth power delivery with some low end torque...

two stroke, if you can ride and just love ripping through the gears, making chainsaw noises :D pw50 etc may be good for a learner, but a kx65 is not! or even a ktm50...

80s are just about right. 125s can be nasty, and 250s will chew you up and spit you out...but are so much fun!

neighbour bought a kx65 for his son a few years ago. i had a go, and sort of forgot that i had to slow down just as i was getting some speed up, dropped it. :) one tap of the rear brakes and it just slid out from under me. they really are fun, but find a big wheeler, or an 80. the little wheel 65 is just too twitchy to ride easily.

on that note, the neighbours one seized up after maybe a week. you never know whats been done to it by previous owners(if its been raced...dont touch it), its really easy to damage the cylinder when things go wrong, and parts can be expensive (my nsr150, i bought a complete bike for the same amount as a new cylinder...and to get a cylinder re-plated, much the same cost) whereas a china bike, the engines are cheap, you kill one, its swapped over in ten minutes, who cares? but bits fall off all the time!

you gotta keep an eye on the oil, if the pump fails you are screwed, and you cant just shove old cheap lawnmower oil in them. (unlike the pw50...)

Last edited:
get into band

On the pipe is what you mean, "Power band" would be the most miss used and miss understood term in motorcycling.

even a ktm50...
The ktm 50's are not good learner bikes, high rpm clutches, the later models are adjustable and can be fitted to eariler models but even on the lowest setting they dont engage until around 6,500-7000 rpm

(if its been raced...dont touch it)

Another miss conception, i know plenty of people who race and their bikes are maintained to a very high standard well above what the average joe blow trail rider does. A couple of them have over 100hrs on 450's and have never opened the motor aside from valve clearance checks. Its how its been used not what its been used for that makes the difference here

yes, yes, ok, power band means from idle to redline limit on rpm. "on the pipe" is correct, just like "expansion chamber" is any old exhaust and "tuned pipe" is correct. another misused and abused term.

i didnt say a ktm 50 is a good learner bike, the exact opposite in fact...a pw50/80 is a learner bike. a ktm is a highly tuned snappy little buzz box that makes about 10 horsies from the denardis (or morini) 50cc engine.

and yeah, a lot of racers do care for their engines. but usually a CHEAP ex racer, well...its being sold cheap because it has something wrong with it. and modifying engines for more power reduces reliability in the long run.

on that note, a racing bike is usually better to ride, they may make more peak power, but theyre also kept "smooth". you cannot race well if you have to concentrate too much on perfect gear shifts or keeping the front wheel down or having it stall if you let the clutch out at the wrong time...

Latest posts

Back