KX85 or ATOMIK 250?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how tall are you ?
if you just want to have fun get the 250 and if you want to race and jump get the 85 but the 250 can take jumps to.

well I would get the 250 because I dont want to change rings out and change plugs if i dont ride it hard

it realy doesnt matter what he would get, he isnt you. you need to way up what to do, the kx being 2 stroke over the atomik being 4 stroke will most likely be more rebuilds with the kx.. , kx being 14/17 wheels (i think) and the atomik being 19/21 (i cant be bothered checking but it will be close to them sizes) are you looking to buy the kx new or used? the atomik new or used?

Yer probs the 85 2nd hand and 250 new......the atomiks look really low are they?

its another one of these 'china vs jap' threads and there really pointless.
these bikes are completely different, the 85; a two stroke race bike, high in maintenance but also performance.
you will need to do a top end rebuild every few months no matter what. you can damage the expansion chambers easily witch can get expensive to replace if your trail riding. for jumping this would probably be the way to go though as it might actually take a decent jump... what kind of jumping do you plan on doing? ramps? MX table tops?
the 85 is only a midsize bike witch is completly different to the 250 being fullsized.
the 250; a chinese bike witch means high maintenance still with relatively low performance and lots of parts witch will regularly need to be replaced. unless you replace them with something decent. also the forks on these are rubbish even when tuned. so there not good for trail riding or jumping, and many wouldn't take them trail riding due to the possibility of failures and then having to walk 25k's back to the car....
the 250 being fullsized like i mentioned before is a completely different bike so it will depend on what type of riding you want to do and how big/old you are.
what experience do you have with riding? by the sound of things you've never owned a bike before?
might be best to start off with something different. such and a midsized bike and see what happens, see if you want to keep rding. ask your self do you want to stay on a midsize? or go to a fullsize? if you go to a fullsize it is probably best that you keep an eye out for a jap bike. or do you want to stay midsize or even go mini? then you could think about a crf50 or other 50 or try a revMX or be a copy cat and get an LXR ;)

brad,

yer i am pretty skill i used to race but i have never had a new one of these chinese bikes before so ii think i will go with the 85 or even a kx100.

You're pretty skilled 'ey or just full o yourself.

So I take it your 15 going by your user name. If you are skilled you should be looking at a yz125 or kx125 and so on...

man you guys always punish the two strokes for rebuild,do you know that most manufacturers honda yamaha etc recomend a new piston in there 4 strokes every 15 hours,and if you dont believe me grab a manufacturers handbook on a crf 150r honda recomends a new piston with every oil change,i just sold my sons kx85 200hrs on the last piston that was a full season of motorcross and enduro given he is not at the front but he is midpack and i only put a new piston in to sell it

and no im not knocking the 4 strokes i am now running 8 of them in our team

dont know what service manuals you are reading but all the ones i have have no information like that in them..

yz250 - inspect and clean piston after break in and every race.. replace every 5th race.. inspect and clean rings after break in and every race.. replace every 3 races..
(generally all 2 strokes are like this including 09 yz85))

yz450 - inspect and clean piston every 1000k's.. replace when required.. inspect and clean rings every 1000k's. replace when required..

very different to me..
but these are for full blown race bikes where run in periods last 3 full screws of the throttle..
so depending what the bike gets used for and how well it gets serviced by the book will determine the how long it will last..

and the smaller the engine the harder it gets ridden.. so the more frequent rebuilds get..

and my 05 wr450f has well over 200hrs on it since i owned it plus previous riders hrs..
and my bro's wr450 has just clicked over 9000k's but it has had a ring change but the original ring was still perfect..

and i must rebuild 4 or 5 2 strokes to every 1 4 stroke..

but yeah dont get me wrong either, im a fan of both but i prefer the maintenance of the 4 stroke

Latest posts

Back