Lifan/chinese engine reliability question

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilco512

Reaction score
hey guys!

i have a ct110 post bike and obviously its amazing, they are awesome bikes and are super fun riding around with other mates who have them,

and obviously being a 110 they are slow as hell!
ive seen a thousand guys transplant the engine with a lifan or other equivalent chinese engine with no problem, but have never heard anything about how they go after a few thousand km's!

without being bias like; JaP EnGiNeS ArE WaaAaAyY BetTeR Br0

how reliable do you think these engines really are?
im thinking about going with the zongshen 140cc engine from dhz,
keep in mind i am relatively mechanically minded and can re build the top end of an engine quite easily, re do clutches and do oil changes regularly also,

but all i really want to know is, will they break quickly or can i expect to get a few thousand kms from one of these engines?

thanks in advance!!

i'd go for a GPX125, they have a lot more power than the 140's.and with regular maintenance they would go for a long time.

i have seen a couple of Motovert RX's that have done 8000km's,
and heard about a couple of Lifan 150's getting around 10,000 kms in Posties, Z50's and MadAss scooters

Definately the gpx, great engine, goes very close in outright pace to the 160s and they rev to the moon

i'd go for a GPX125, they have a lot more power than the 140's.and with regular maintenance they would go for a long time.

i have seen a couple of Motovert RX's that have done 8000km's,
and heard about a couple of Lifan 150's getting around 10,000 kms in Posties, Z50's and MadAss scooters

ok no problem, arent these engines high comp though?
and wont a high comp engine not last as long as a standard compression engine would?

im not really chasing severe power, just a bit more power than what i have now, with still a bit of reliability to keep the mind calm while riding haha

the 140 Zonger's have 10/1 comp, and the GPX125 has 11/1, there's not much in it
the higher comp engine will run more efficiently too.

Personally i would go for a lifan 150 and be a little careful kicking it.
Need the torque of a larger cc engine imo to pull me at atleast 80km up a decent freeway style hill.. + there lower compression than the gpx... pretty sure they have a longer skirt also?

Yeah I am torn! I defs do a lot of flat out riding, 80kmph for long periods of time, not much city riding whatsoever still undecided :/

My 125 pulls me at 80, and im 86 kgs, the extra rpm allow for that wicked slipstream overtake if you gear them out heavy. Thr gpx in the braaap still has a 36 tooth rear, with a 14tooth front, and ehile its geared to high for dirt, id love to have rego on it as it would love it. Heard of to many lifan 150s with cracked cases for me to buy one...

Yeah pretty sure I'm gonna go with the zongshen 140cc engine from dhz and pair that with the 30mm mikuni carb! Hopefully that can cruise along at 100km no problem, if not I can get a custom made rear sprocket to be even smaller than the stock one, I've already got. 17t front sprocket can't go any bigger

Yeah pretty sure I'm gonna go with the zongshen 140cc engine from dhz and pair that with the 30mm mikuni carb! Hopefully that can cruise along at 100km no problem, if not I can get a custom made rear sprocket to be even smaller than the stock one, I've already got. 17t front sprocket can't go any bigger
If thats the case i would go for a yx engine personally.. Or a lifan 150 .
Not many engines like them the lifan 150's pistons seem to last forever.. as due to the bore-stroke ratio..
The yx engine you could upgrade to 184 easily but pistons dont last for too long..
Id go a 150 its only a few more dollars.. make sure you have the mounting kit and lighting coil (comes on the lifan and its adjustable)

Id expect to hit 80 easily with the lifan and 100 sometimes if the gearing is correct.
Do not forget you need to make a pipe, mounts etc or buy them.

I recommend a keihin 26mm or a mikuni vm26 for carb selection. not the fake ones.. i mean they will work but not as well as the ones listed above or the oko.

buy a uni filter for the desired carby as the chinese ones split nice and easy.

Piston might last forever but whats the point when the cases crack all the time... I just dropped the main jet on the gpx 125 to a 92 and it now pulls me to 100kph easy. Have a mate with over a 100 hours on his no rebuild since new...

gpx 125 with the TB mod is something I want to see badly in power

Im about 3/4 grand f4om its 13000 rpm redline, so I dont see why not. They arent a massively torquey engine, but thats what the gears are for. I have only ridden one lifan 150, and my gpx has more top end than the 150, just not as much torque

Yeah fair enough, it's so hard! Haha
Is there a good amount of replacement parts for the gpx?

And I wonder how hard it will be to hook up lights and indicators etc :/

I think you have to change stators for lights actually, but im not 100 percent on that. I had no probs sourcing piston and valves for it, havnt had to source anything else so far. My clutch has held up well, even with learners riding it. I have heard of others being a tad heavy on clutches, but mine is still all original

you could do the adjustable Lifan 150/Daytona 125 stator mod to get lights, that woul;d cost you under $80
and i'm sure someone on ebay china had just the coils for $30 too, pretty sure they will fit onto the GPX stator backing plate

Yeah I'm probably going to go with the zongshen engine as that can run lights indicators etc strait away no mods,

Hopefully she is a lot quicker than the stock ct! Haha

Where could I get an 17 or 18t front sprocket for the zongshen ?

Latest posts

Back