Lights on Pit Bikes

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyFork

Reaction score
I've never needed lights or thought of having them till I went riding in the stato the other night. I had a dolphin torch strapped to the front but it gave poor visibility. I nearly was bitten by a snake on a track as I failed to see it till I rode past and it stuck at me.
Anyways I want lights now, I got a z155 with an outer rotor kit. Does anyone know what regulator/rectifier I need? And what is the final amperage at 12v. I'm gunna get a cheap 12v led spot light, just need to work out the watts, cheers

What colour is your lighting coil wire ?
Do you have the single yellow wire ?

Amps won't really be a worry if you are using a led spotlight.
I have a 27w cree floodlight that i had on my Atomik Fuse, it draws under 1 Amp
but i would recommend something a bit brighter if you can afford it, 45w, or 54w

27W Cree LED Work Offroads Lamp Light Flood Truck Boat 12V 24V 4WD 4x4 Round | eBay

27wledfloodlight.jpg

27wrear.jpg

You'll need one of these regulator/rectifiers- 12V 4 PIN Regulator Rectifier 50cc 90cc 110cc 125cc ATV Dirt Bike Quad PIT PRO | eBay

and an automotive 4 pin plug/terminals, a small 12v battery, fuse, wiring and a switch.
plug like the one on the left below (plugs into reg/rect)

$_12.JPG

ok, you'll need to add a 5-10cm piece of wire to the end of the yellow wire,
twist the 2 ends together and crimp/solder a female spade terminal on it
the other end of the extra wire crimp/solder another female spade terminal onto it

410XaUHN4bL._AA300_.jpg

clip the yellow and white terminal into the bottom left of the plastic plug, and clip the extra wire terminal into the right hand top position in the plug

it will look like this

Last edited:
Cheers for the info. I had a rectifier on an old quad. I joined the yellow and white together and plugged it into the yellow wire from the coil. Hooked up multimeter and I ran the bike and got these results. DC 7v 5amp at idle. At 3/4 throttle I got 19v DC and 9amp. Hmm not regulating too well! Maybe it's cause it only rectifying the voltage and it's not regulating

Hmm thinking about this my theory is (+ AC Current in from stator coil on yellow wire. Passes positively charged electrons through diode to red wire which goes to battery. Expels excess voltage and through ground wire. Then The negitive electrons flow though white wire which goes to the negative terminat of the battery. Unable to test my theory as to late at night to start my bike. This would explain why I have fluxuating current and voltage.

Do you have a 2 pin rectifier?
Or a 4 pin regulator / rectifier and have wired it like the pic i posted above?
And are you measuring the dc voltage out at the red and black wires at the battery?

It's a 4 pin for single phase. I have it wired the same as above and testing red wire to ground. I tested r/r and diode is ok. I think I'll investegate again this avo.

I'm sure you need to have a load on the Reg/Rect to get the correct readings from it.
eg Have a decent 12v battery hooked up
also you'll need to wire up a switch on the yellow wire before the reg/rect so when the engine is running, but no lights are on, there wont be power going through the regulator
otherwise the the regulator can become overloaded and not be able to dump all the power, it'll cook the internal circuits

I sort of know what you are saying. I'm gunna run dc led lights off the battery. I want to first work out what the current is at 12v so then I can order the lights. Amps x volts will give me the power in watts. I don't want to draw to much off the battery.

Usually the pit bike stators' lighting coils are rated to about 25 or 30 watts,
so using the formula, Watts = Volts x Amps, they can handle a 2 amp continuous draw with a peak of about 2.5 amps

and as i mentioned above my 27W cree headlight draws under .15 amp's to start and run, and puts out over 2000 lumen's of light.
That means my 27w led spotlight is drawing the equivalent power of a 2W bulb to run
they do mention in the specs of the spotlight i bought that they can draw up to 1.7 amps, i haven't seen mine draw anywhere near that.
Running my spotlight off my sla 12v 9Ah battery, it can last 54 hours until it's flat

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back