locktight

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DvDRip

Mini Riders Legend
Reaction score
I've just bought a PP140xr and gone over most of the bike with locktight but the old man says the engine bolts don't need it, is this true? I see allot of people saying to locktight EVERYTHING and I've done everything but the engine so far just incase it stuffs up the gaskets or a bolt snaps and gets stuck inside the engine.

so would not locktighting the engine bolts be a bad idea? the old man knows allot about bikes, just not chinga's

Last edited:
if your talkin about the bolts that actually hold the engine together I dont think you should do them. Man you must be keen if you were gunna pull your motor apart just to use locktight. If you mean the bolts that hold the engine to the frame then yes do those ones

dont use it on the bolts that hold the engine itself together but the ones that hold it to the frame are fine for locktite

if you rgunna loctite any thing on a pitpro change the bloody bolts altogether

cause all ya gunna do when you go to take them off is snapthe cap heads off the shitty china bolts and the ya got a bit of work to do with the ol' easy out

and only loctite bolts of like metal can cause problems when bolting to alloy and likes

change the bloody bolts altogether

yea I was thinkin bout changing most of the bolts that hold the bike together and will be under stress but I'm not sure how I'd go about it and how much it'd cost, like would I take all the bolts off and go down to a bolt shop and find the ones I need or take the whole bike down there and do It there one by one? the shop owner would probably hate the second option

would better quality bikes like motoverts have the shitty weak bolts too?

I used to use Silastic silicone sealant on the threads of bolts that were removed often ... including motorcycle crank case screws ... It works great ... stops them from coming loose , stops water from getting into the threads and can't possibly cause stripped threads or snapped bolt heads ...

yea I was thinkin bout changing most of the bolts that hold the bike together and will be under stress but I'm not sure how I'd go about it and how much it'd cost, like would I take all the bolts off and go down to a bolt shop and find the ones I need or take the whole bike down there and do It there one by one? the shop owner would probably hate the second option

would better quality bikes like motoverts have the shitty weak bolts too?

Remove all of the bolts and take 'em to the bolt shop ... With any bolts that go right thru things such as the engine , swinger pivot , shock mounts etc ... Replace the bolts with Hi tensile bolts (grade 8) that have a shank (non threaded section) that goes right thru to the other side ... That way the load will be carried totally on flat bolt shank ... When side loaded , threads cut into and wear holes bigger , creating bolt slop and tilting at an angle which causes things such as shorter shock bush life and shock shaft side loading and shortened seal life ... The overall bolt length will be longer so you'll need to cut the threaded section shorter to get the bolts back to the stock length ...

Latest posts

Back