Maintenance on a Big bike and pricing

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkey

Reaction score
I had been wondering for a while on 2 strokes and 4 strokes

Few questions are

2 strokes and 4 strokes
- How often do you need to change the oil
- How often do you need to give it a top end rebuild
- How often do you need to give it a bottom end rebuild

And how much do mechanics charge for a bottom end rebuild on both 2 and 4 strokes.

Thanks for answering

With 2 stroke, you dont really "change" the engine oil, its in your premix. You do change transmission oil though, alot of friends I know that own 2 stroke bikes don't keep the same oil in their bikes for more than 5 rides, which sounds a bout right to me.

With 4 stroke, I usually change my oil after any ride over 2 hours, as during that time the bike would generally run a little hotter, and the oil would get a bit of a hard time. I've been told thats being over cautious, but I think thats better than not being cautious at all.

With top end rebuilds, 2 strokes will generally need a top end rebuild be fore a 4 stroke. But it all depends on how hard you ride it, and how often, and what premix you use.

Bottom end rebuilds only need doing when you start to jump out of gear, false nuetrals, or you can't engage in gear at all. If you start to notice clutch fading, etc, it might be time for a new clutch, but not an entire bottom end.

I would steer clear of mechanics, its worth it just to sit down and try and do it yourself. Much bigger feeling of accomplishment, and you learn something along the way too :)

I had been wondering for a while on 2 strokes and 4 strokes

Few questions are

2 strokes and 4 strokes
- How often do you need to change the oil
- How often do you need to give it a top end rebuild
- How often do you need to give it a bottom end rebuild

And how much do mechanics charge for a bottom end rebuild on both 2 and 4 strokes.

Thanks for answering

depends on the bike. I like to buy both in a box if old.
2t id do about 100 hrs on a 250.. 50 on a 125 however i would check and inspect top and bottom end as soon as i buy.

4t Depends on the bike again. xr's id listen for a rattle.. For a wr, yz,exc etc i would pull the top end off and inspect before i go out riding. $100 on gaskets cheaper than potential damage. never trust a seller.

Buy a set of snap gauges and micrometers. make sure the bore is in tip top shape (can also look for slap marks but by then you could also be 95 hrs too late) Don't skimp on measuring and preventative maintenance then it will go forever.. till the gearbox starts to jump/slip etc.

bottom end rebuild 2t id expect 1k with new top end
bottom +top 4t id expect 1500-2k

I would also reccomend diy. then take the new rod and sleeve/bore to a machinist to be inspected
And then go on my wr thread and have a look at some of the head work i do there to get i idea of what you need to replace in the head.

You dont want a non-runner unless its apart. even if it rotates the valve could be lodged in the port. or the seals could be shagged on a 2t (crank seals) means it has to come apart anyway. consider that into cost because diy replacing the seals is cheap.

The oil.. 2t premix always.
Transmission change when it gets to be a bad colour/ depends on the conditions our riding in but dont worry about it that much.

4t 15 hrs to a mx style bike. maybe 20. no reason to do more just causes damage.

The question should be what bike do i want. then ask questions about maintenance and then if you can sustain it.
for example i would love a 300 exc however i don't want to rebuild it every 50 hrs (also cant find a newer one in my budget.
I settled for a wr 426 because there very similar to newer models and can run for about 200 hrs (have been known to) will probably check/replace the top end at 100..
some people call me untrusting as because i also bought that in a box. I never trust anyone that has better motives to lie. eg. selling a item.

Last edited:
Top job guys, excellent and thanks

I have never understood why people change 2-stroke trans oil so often...
At work on 4x4's and trucks etc we only change them every 50,000kms, can anyone enlighten me as to why motorcycles are any different?

Because someone did it once now we all have to do it. Back in my 2 stroke days, cough cough, i can't remember changing gearbox oil that often at all. In fact i only did a piston like once a year in the 250's.

Latest posts

Back