mapping switch for daytona 150/190

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

china911

Reaction score
007.jpg006.jpg
004.jpg

got around to installing a selectable timing switch .. there are 3 maps ..the last map was not possible as I would interfere with timing no 2 and no 3 ... the wiring splits up in the ignition box for timing no 4 ..probably best not to go there with no 4 as it may blow the engine.. l have not test ridden yet .so cant comment ..If im happy with the results l will install a rocker type switch as l only need the 3 settings..

Position 0 is timing 1 ( standard map )
1 is timing 2
2 is timing 3

005.jpg...

Last edited:
Had a chance to test timing 2 (yellow wire) and timing (3 white wire ) individually connected to one of active green wires.

Track was dry and hard and had not been chopped up yet by an expected 8 mx 250/450 .. l had 2 hours of solo track time ..

I ran several laps on standard map using 3 rd gear only (entering and exiting ) as fast as I usually take it .

Switched to yellow map and found that there was no significant change that I noticed ..

Switched to white map and found that it had a slight burst and at times touched the rev limiter .

l don't think this made a lot of difference to the performance besides and beneficial use for guys using over rev for track racing .

The torque runs out pretty early even thou there is an r.p.m increase ..

Temperature wise did climb a little on map 3 , but that may of been contributed to the climb in ambient temperature.. started riding at 21 degrees in 2 hours climbed to 28 degrees.

I have decided not to bother testing the 4th map as hitting the limiter early with map 3 was not a massive gain and if l need more acceleration l can sort it with a sprocket switch.

l will be installing a 2 way rocker switch ($ 5 for ebay ) and will use the stock map for ideal damp conditions and the white map (3) for dry conditions ..

These results is what l found testing it for a number of hours on a track im familiar with ..

Keen to hear of more opinions if anyone has a chance to plug and play ..

I wouldn't mind having a play around with the timing and see what's best for my 190.
So are you using an (3PDT) on/off/on switch or a couple of them, or a 3 position/4 position rotary (3P4T) switch ?

The rotary switch was only a test part .. This is a 3 way switch that wont work on the hottest map as this requires all the wires to be connected.. and will be active only on the hottest map .

I am hunting around for an oven switch that is 3 way thou it can separate the wiring because they have separate connective points . this wont bugger up individual settings ..

I will be using a handle bar switch on /off .. pretty much most bikes come out with .

Off for standard map (wires disconnected) and on for 3rd map (white wire connected to green )

A bit of thinking out loud here-

I wonder if you could use a switch like this ?
It look's like it might work, it's pretty compact and only cost's $4.70 inc delivery!
I'm guessing that the switch set up is semi waterproof due to it being for a motorcycle too
7 8" ATV Bike Motorcycle Scooter Offroad Horn Turn Signals on Off Light Switch | eBay

s-l225.jpg

38225-6.jpg

Wire Setup:
Blue : Lights
White: Horn
Green: Right Turn Signal
Yellow: Left Turn Signal
Red: Ground for Turn Signal Lights

To wire it up to use as a 3 option timing selector, and a kill switch

Use the indicator's L/R for map 2, and map 3
Run the green from the cdi box to the red on the switch as an earth
Then run the yellow from cdi for map 2, to the yellow on the indicator switch (left turn)
And the white from the cdi for map 3, to the green on the indicator switch (right turn)

The green from the cdi could be ran through the light switch (red on/off button) to the blue, then the other blue join's the red wire (earth for indicator's/2 map setting's)

Then with the 2x remaining white wire's (for the momentary closed horn switch) you could connect them up to the black w/white striped wire from your original kill switch and the other white to the green from your original kill switchs' earth

The green button is your kill switch,
The red button is the timing control main on/off switch, it switch's on your earth for the cdi timing map's, allowing you to select map 2 (via left indicator)or map 3 (via right indicator)

It will work ..thou l can see it breaking for dirt use ..My mate had a similar one on an Atomik .
My sherco 450 had an indicator thumb map switch ,and all riders had snapped it off with their thumb. Me included
It was always in the way..

l run an on/off on the sherco which gives me the 2 maps . enduro and mx mode. (very noticeable )

Running side by side on/off rocker switch will be a look a lot more tidy ...lm sure ive seen a rocker switch for lighting that gives you 2 settings and off .. This will allow you to run 3 maps..

Daytona could of given us an independent wire for the last map .. it would be an easy set up.. and all you need is 2 rockers ..with on/off positions to have all 4 maps on the fly ..

Latest posts

Back