Mikuni Carb mistake...

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashball

Reaction score
Hello all, amateur here. Im pretty mechanically inclined, usually can get most things I've taken apart back together.

Well after a summer of my son cruising around on his PW50 the bike was being finicky. I decided to take apart the brand new mikuni carb we installed 6 months ago to see if maybe the jets were clogged up. When I pulled the top off and freed the cables I cleaned the inside of the carb with carb cleaner spray.

When I went to reinstall the cables I mistakenly put the slide in 180° backwards. I didnt realize what I had done until trying to screw in the top screw and I noticed the top piece of the carb was no longer flush with the rest.

Now the slide is stuck inside really tight. I tried grabbing the cable with needle nose pliers to help pull the slide back out and the cable finally broke.

This carb is still basically brand new. My son only rode it 4 or 5 times over the summer. I know I have to buy a new throttle cable... obviously. But is the carb junk now too?

What would you do?

Attachments

• received_2863431470621518.jpeg
    received_2863431470621518.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 5
  • received_1141844613273993.jpeg
    received_1141844613273993.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 5
  • received_681374996444870.jpeg
    received_681374996444870.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 5
I was able to get the slide out abd ultra fine sand the imperfections. I'm waiting on a new throttle cable to come in.

Ill keep you guys updated.

I was able to get the slide out abd ultra fine sand the imperfections. I'm waiting on a new throttle cable to come in.

Ill keep you guys updated.
Nice, so those imperfections may have caused the problem? Thanks for the reply.

The problem was caused by inserting the slide in backwards, then mistakenly tightening the top of the carb down which wedged the slide in the bore.

With the cable snapped, how was the slide removed? I bet that was pretty tough.

I was able to remove the lower bowl and float. From there, I was able to insert a very small steel rod through the bottom, and block the hole through the slide with a thumb tack and gently tap on the rod until the slide broke free.

Very much a tricky solution, but I was able to figure it out.

Smart, thanks for your response. Can you keep me/us updated?

Surely it damaged the carb, id either get replacement parts, atleast the slide and hope nothing else bent but if it runs bad definitely just get a new carb

I was able to remove the lower bowl and float. From there, I was able to insert a very small steel rod through the bottom, and block the hole through the slide with a thumb tack and gently tap on the rod until the slide broke free.

Very much a tricky solution, but I was able to figure it out.
Hi, just curious, did the carb work just fine?

Latest posts

Back