mikuni choke cable??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3RG

Reaction score
Hi guys, so i have this mikuni carby on my Z160HO. The problem is the carby looks like it was set up with a cable to choke it. I wanted to choke it then the black lever stays down by itself. To turn the choke off i need to cable tie the black lever up. It dosnt stay open.
Does that make any sense?

Do you have a picture of link to the carby you are using?

I'll post a pic up this arvo when i get home

So just done a quick search and found these. They are the same. You can see the plate that the cable attaches to.
But with no cable the choke lever stays done hence the butterfly valve is closed. Only way to keep it open is to use cableties
And the last picture is of mine
images-1.jpgimages-2.jpgdownloadfile.jpg20151015_172205-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Those 3x carb picture's off the net are of the Keihin 30mm copy carby's, your's is the Mikuni 30mm copy
See the fuel bowl's are shaped different.

This is pretty much the same as your's minus the cable bracket

NEW-Mikuni-30mm-Carburetor-PZ30-VM26-30mm-Carburetor-Hand-Choke-GY6-Scooter-Dirt-Pit-Bike-ATV.jpg

From memory the one above that i posted has a small flat piece of spring steel with a little v bent into the end of it that hold's the lever at open or closed.
The flat spring hold's a little tension against the choke lever and the v in the end sit's under the plastic lever

Also on the opposite side of the carby there is a cupped cover that goes over the end of the chokes' buttery mounting shaft.
Under that cover is another spring that make's the choke return to the open position, that may not be hooked into the slot properly?

I remember having one of those cable choke mikuni copy's here but i cant find it atm.

Ok thanks craig. I'll have a look when I get home.
So im guessing this carb didnt come with this z160ho engine.
Would it be wise to put anotherone back on?

So here are some pics I got today, I also pulled the cable holder for the choke off to show whats behind it, There dosnt seem any way to keep the choke off (other than to cable tie that black lever up). Also I cant see anywhere that its a 30mm Mikiuni, On the intake flange it says "26 672U"
20151016_173458.jpg20151016_173440.jpg20151016_173507.jpg20151016_173512.jpg20151016_173538.jpg

Ok searching everywhere to find this part, I think this is all I need to operate this choke properly.
Would anyone know what its called so I can find it, Ive tried Choke position tab choke lever ect ect
NEW-Mikuni-30mm-Carburetor-PZ30-VM26-30mm-Carburetor-Hand-Choke-GY6-Scooter-Dirt-Pit-Bike-ATV - .jpg

That plate is just for adjusting how far the choke closes when you use the choke.
It can close fully, 9/10th's or 8/10th's

Looks like the choke lever spring is missing. I have the same carb and the spring keeps the butterfly valve open all the times. On the opposite side of the choke lever there should be carb model written.

Last edited:
So it says on it 26 672U. Thats all i can see on it.

Is this the same as yours?. Would you have a pic or describe what im missing on mine?

The spring is behind the round cap like i posted above.

mikuni 30mm.jpg

Yep pulled that cap off the spring is there in place. That spring is set to choke the engine (close the butterfly valve).
Im having trouble keeping it open. No choke.
It just springs closed. Turning the choke on.20151018_204936.jpg

Last edited:
That's the way they're designed to work.

But to stop it working you can take the spring out and flip it over so the end is hanging down.
You'll need to have it pretensioned to hold the choke open to stop the choke staying on

If you cant get the spring out you'll need to remove the screw's from the butterfly plate and carefully pull the shaft through .
WD40 might help it come out too.
If you need to take those screw's out, make sure you Loctite them before refitting them.

So i cant really get my head around it. I know that spring makes the butterfly closed. But i still cant work out whats missing on my choke to keep that butterfly valve open. Like i said i need to cable tie it so the choke is off. All my other bikes you could turn the choke to be on or off. This one i can the choke just stays on

Maybe because it is designed to run a choke cable, there is no detent to hold it in the on or off position, it rely's on the cable holding the arm down.
And the other manual choke Mikuni has something sle to hold it on or off.
If i could find my old Mikuni 30mm i'd pull it apart and show you.

no stress, It usually starts without the choke anyway, just wanted all the bits working.
by the way, how did you go with that light too Craig?

Latest posts

Back