Mini Motard-OFFICIAL THREAD

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi all, i just joined,
i am pretty dam obsessed with min tards, and i dont even have one,
i bought some motard rims +tyres got them home to find out i needed 15mm axle (i actually thought i did)
i took them back thinking oh well it would have been fun
but i cannot stop thinking about it
is there someone out there that makes the motard rims that will fit a 12mm front axle?
or should i drill the forks to 15 for the 15 mm axle?
need some ideas...
thanks

yeah i went to the dandy track last Wed and it was good. its like your not just paying to use the track, but also the knowledge and assistance of the high end guys there. ill be going back.

i just took a look and unless i missed something all they had were 2.15 and 2.5 in 12mm in rear, dam i was after a front

is it a good idea to drill the forks to 15mm?
i priced the gear id need to setup a 15mm front end road and new dirt and im looking at 400 from dhz

i guess once i have the rims i could use them on my future pit bikes e

yeah thats because the 2.15 is for the front and 2.5 is for the rear.

that is what i am running on my motovert. you need ot bigger to fit the
motard tires on

any more q's?

yeah thats what i want to run
2.15 front
2.5 rear

but on that store all the 12mm were rear tires,

has anyone drilled their forks? mine are at just over 12mm at the moment so its only an extra 3 mm

there you go i messed up,
thanks mate,
40 pound sounds even better anyway,
i wonder how much shipping would be?
only other thing i am thinking is if when i update to a better pit bike it might be likely to have the 15 axle, maybe i should splurge now so i can have the full set up down the track

well yeah thats the questions.
its like do you buy the 12mm and wack them on to see if you like motarding
or just take it for sure that you will LOVE it and look for the future
as you will most likely upgrade.

where do you live? what tracks are you going to ride on?

i am 100% sure id love to tard,
i have recently had to sell my track bike (cbr600rr) as the cost was just too large for how many track days i was doing. i love being on a track and tarding is fun, put the two together and you cant lose.

is anyone able to back it in on a pit bike?

i am in wollongong so id be riding wollongong kart track, also there is an indoor track at arncliffe that do it apparently.

ive tried to back it in at a new track lately but when my rear wheel is not spinning so fast the gear box doesnt shift down to well.

i wouldnt class myself as a good rider though.... yet.

i asked Tristen who could even win the national this year if he used back brake and he said never.
(if i remember properly)

yeah from the videos i have seen theres pretty much no backing it in..
which sucks cause it looks so dam good,
i dont think id have the balls to do it on a full size bike

Hi davvis welcome to MR
I have sucesufuly drilled a few sets of forks from 12mm to 15mm. Whether you can do it to yours depends on what forks and how much metal there is around the axel mount. finding a drill bit that is just the right size is a problem. I'd suggest finding a good engineering shop and taking your forks to them with the axel and asking them to do the job so that they are drilled to just the right size with no slop. I have also enlarged the slot in swingarms to 15mm.

Tina

ive got a CRF490x that is motarded for the street. and you can back that in.
it seem really stable as the bike weighs so much more like 110kg and the wheel base is
longer its not to scaring.

it is much more comforting going left with the back out, as you can still stick your leg out.

398.jpg

399.jpg

Last edited:
hey grnman, I was over at Dandy on Wed, come over and say Hi next time.
I was on the tiny bke with red plastics and black leathers.
I just got home from racing over at Warrnambool for the national round, was crazy rain on Friday and I had a big spill at the end of the straight, but no biggie
With regard to backing it in, its just not fast, there were a couple of guys from Syd that ride that style so after a couple of the guys went out and helped them corner with knee down and instantly they gained another 5%.
I myself got my knee down for the first time and it it the craziest and best feeling ever!
Dave

and for all interested, there was a Pro photographer at Warrnambool for the national round so there will be heaps of pics coming soon, i'll post the link on thursday of friday when they are ready.

Nice work Barnesd, gee man its looks like crazy weather you were describing. what was the racing like?
many people in the classes that weekend?
have they got the results up anywhere?

Backing it in...

ive got a CRF490x that is motarded for the street. and you can back that in.
it seem really stable as the bike weighs so much more like 110kg and the wheel base is
longer its not to scaring.

it is much more comforting going left with the back out, as you can still stick your leg out.

Not sure how much compression braking you get out of the CRF (or whether it's just aggressive riding style and practice), but I used to sling the rear of an XR400 motard (self built) both directions without a touch on the rear brake...

Don't get me wrong though, to do this you need to dump it down a gear and ride the front brake a bit to initiate the slide and then bring on the power to keep it going through the corner. I'd quite often come in sideways and out on the rear wheel (sometimes still spinning if I was having a good day :-D). Once you get used to it it's "almost" like riding on dirt, lol.

Could be a little to do with suspension setup too, mine was "pretty" firm... Sure as shit has nothing to do with power as I'm reasonably sure the XR doesn't make the same as a CRF ;-)

Let me on it one day, I'll show you how to ride from 1st to 5th on the rear. If you're really lucky and I'm in form I'll ride it all the way back down to 1st again, weeehehehehe!

Well, enough bragging, it's long past my bedtime... Somehow I doubt the missus is gonna tuck me in at 2:30am :p

PS, goddamn this forum, goddamn my addictive personality and goddamn the need to sleep!

PPS, look at tut's on youtube for backing it in... Also handy for almost anything else too!

yeah the CRF has heaps of engine breaking with 13:1 compression. i know what you mean with the sliding.

when you jump on the front brakes hard and drop down a gear, the thing backs in everytime. its impossible not to. my ducati monster has this problem as well, but i think its mainly due to the really bad tires its got on. they've gone blue and offer on grip at all. and i dont want it to back in. scares the beep out of me.

i might take you up on that ride offer krazed.
i could deck u out in the same riding gear as mine and take a video of it and tell everyone i have been getting better with my mono's.

cant wait till you get a mini motard and start riding with me.

Latest posts

Back