MX vs ATV: Alive

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchAustralia

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I bought the new game from THQ, MX vs ATV Alive on Saturday because ive been excited for it for ages.
This game is an extremely different concept compared to Reflex or other past installments, in regards to its price and DLC (downloadable content)
I bought the game for $57 which is extremely cheap considering it was only released about a month ago.
The reason it is so cheap is because they allow you to "build the game the way you want to", which inturn means go out and spend money on DLC on such things as bikes, gear, tracks, parts etc.

The game itself without any extra DLC is great fun!
You have to repeatedly play the tracks so you can level your player up, to unlock new tracks and gear, and level your bike up to unlock performance and visual parts.
I love this concept as it is very rewarding every time you unlock something new to equip.
They have a great range of upgrades this time round, with heaps of well known brands like FMF, pro circuit, renthal, pro taper etc.

Tracks
There are 3 types of races at this stage in the games.
Firstly there is Nationals which is my personal favourite, and im sure you are all aware of what style racing that is.
Secondly there are "Short Tracks", which I expected to be Supercross, but were infact extremely short tracks, believe it or not. They are tight circuit with heaps of bar bashing action, a good way to have quick wins and level up fast.
Finally there is free roam and the 3 tracks gives to you (including James Stewart's Compound!!) are amazing, with huge jumps and great scenery.
Also, in each free roam track, there is a hidden vehicle which if you find you get to ride it around. I LOVE this feature, and at James Stewart's compound, it is a 50cc mini bike which im sure this community will love ;)
Supercross is coming soon as DLC so im keen for that!
Overall, the tracks are excellent this time round, much better than Reflex in my opinion. They range from tight intense action, to fast, flowing tracks.

Customisation:
Firstly and most importantly, the bikes!
This year the game comes with the two familiar brands, Takashi and Blaze.
These bikes are sick once you trick them out with performance and visual parts.
But the most exciting bit about the bike range is the DLC you can get.
If you live in the U.S, you can get Honda, Yamaha, KTM and Suzuki bikes.
Annoyingly in Australia, we can only download Yamaha and KTM bikes but I still love this feature.
I have bought the Yamaha YZ250F for about 240MP, luckily I had left over points from other purchases.
These bikes are amazing, they are extremely accurate to the real life design and perform sweet.
So pretty much the game allows you to ride 125's, 250 (4 stroke only), and 450's.
with an exception of the KTM 150.
They have 250 two bangers and 450 four strokes coming as DLC soon, get keen!
and im not into quads but they have a good range of them too!
Gear is VERY good this year, with all the huge brands.
It's got some of my favourite designs like Fox 360, its the best range they have had yet.
You can also have "butt stickers" which are like what you'd see on perhaps Valentino Rossie with "the doctor".

Gameplay
Graphics are amazing as per normal. The videos on youtube dont do it any justice, infact it makes the graphics look poor.
But they do look very nice, with amazing scenery.
Sound is UNBELIEVABLE. The sounds of the 4 strokes are spot on to race bikes in real life, and two strokes are extremely impressive aswell.
They have actually put the effort in to get the powerband sounds right, and it makes the game soo much better!
Controls are great, very similar to last year.
if you enjoyed reflex, i'll guarantee you'll love the controls of this game.
and a fantastic feauture which they have worked on is whipping and wheelies.
wheely-ing is extremely easy and its great fun to hold huge ones in free roam, and whipping and scrubbing is so much fun once you get the hang of it.

Overall
I would highly recommend this game as it is cheap, amazing gameplay, and great OEM parts.
Reviews do NOT do this game justice, it is honestly a fantastic game and do yourself a favour and go out and buy it!
Go check it out on youtube.
Hope this helped, Mitch.

I got the game when it came out and was dissapointed with it. It seems like all the jump sections are pre-determined and you dont really pick up speed for being smooth on jumps, when you jump you just go straight up. There is no real flow to it.
The graphics are good but I felt let down on little things like when your rider is on the start and you rev the bike his wrist does not move, but in REFLEX (The previous mx game) the riders wrist would twist every time you rev the engine. to me this just seems like a step backwards.
I think REFLEX has better game play and a better flow when ridding, I would rather pay $57 for more DLC for reflex.

Anyway thats just my 2 cents worth

Alive is ok, Reflex is a way better game hands down in my books.......but screw the both of em lol DIRT3 is where its at.

Oh and mitch nice write up :thumbup:

Cheers guys :)
and mx_rider_51, I didnt buy the game as soon as it was released, and I heard that there were ALOT of bugs, so they may have fixed this issue your talking of, I didnt notice it when I first played it.
Reflex was definately a sick game, I just like the concept of unlocking and levelling up on this game better, thats what really makes it for me.

It seems like all the jump sections are pre-determined and you dont really pick up speed for being smooth on jumps, when you jump you just go straight up. There is no real flow to it.

I realise you probably don't care much, but just thought i'd let you know that in settings there are the rider assists, one of them is a turning assist or something, and one is definitely jumping.
Turn it off and it will stop the rider from looking all jerky in mid air and not being smooth, like you said.
Hope this helped :)

i only like it for the thumpster you get a bubba stewarts compound....

Just got the game :) so fun so much better than reflex imo.
real annoying how i cant get a honda though!
anyone on here still play on xbox?

Latest posts

Back