Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my67xr

Miniriders Legend and Master Spanner Spinning Mode
Reaction score
the other week when i picked up the Jianshe Coyote PY80 it actually come with another bike.
i picked up the pair of them for $220

this is the other rusty bike, a 1982 Suzuki JR50.
i thought if i fix this one up it would give Cj an opportunity to lean to use a footbrake, and that it'd also be an introduction to using gears.
the JR50 has a single gear, and neutral
there is also another gear in the gearbox, which with a couple of easy mods is usable too
so he will have 1st, 2nd, neutral.
neutral is the central position, down for 2nd, and 1st is up from neutral.

the engine was reconditioned 5 years ago by Suzuki at a cost of $600 (seems a bit expensive)
the old owner also replaced the expansion chamber with a brand new one, cost $60 from Suzuki.

but like the Jianshe, the Suzuki was left outside under the verandah and soon became rusty.
so i'll strip it down and see what is salvageable

i priced a brand new front fender for it at Suzuki and it's only $15.
and also priced the airbox filter and lid, they aren't available seperately, but they are available as a complete airbox, i was surprised to find it's only $24 new
both parts weren't in stock, but only take a week to arrive ex Sydney.
a brand new front brake lever was $15 and in stock so i bought one of them while i was there.
i did a search on ebay for JR50 parts and there are still a lot of new old stock available.
i found a seat cover set for $20 plus post ex USA.
a lot of sticker kits are available too.

Last edited:
here's a pic of the faded/melted side panels, and front number plate too

i picked up a set of 10" wheels today , think they're off a late JR50 ?
i will see if they can be used on the '82, that will solve the rusty rim problem
if not i can probably relace the rims onto the '82 hubs.

they come with a set of upside down forks, with tripples and handlebars as well.

Yeah, Genuine Suzuki Japan, i've found out since posting, they are DR-Z7O forks

Cool sounds like a good score!! Geez suzuki certainly have reasonble spares prices!!! Which shop is it around here that sell Suzuki stuff?

Pics?

yeah,
iirc, Shearer has posted in Shan#10's DR-Z70 thread what parts to use in them

here is the first of the plastics that i cleaned up off the JR50
i scraped all the faded/chalky skin off them and gave them a quick polish
they sould come up pretty good with a bit of work
also started scraping the ozidisation off the chalky/faded tank, you can see the difference...

Cool sounds like a good score!! Geez suzuki certainly have reasonble spares prices!!! Which shop is it around here that sell Suzuki stuff?
Suzuki Revolution/Yamaha World on South Road, near the Cross Rd overpass.
i started an account there the beginning of last year, so once i've spent $500 there i get a 10%discount off their prices too.

i might see if the forks will fit the PW50 ?
i got a few other bits too
some secondhand Fastace Tripple clamps, with a set of Genuine Thumpstar handle bars, fluted/mid rise
a Renthal hi rise bar set, some used ASV levers, and a couple of bits and pieces.

Last edited:
i might see if the forks will fit the PW50 ?
i got a few other bits too
some secondhand Fastace Tripple clamps, with a set of Genuine Thumpstar handle bars, fluted/mid rise
a Renthal hi rise bar set, some used ASV levers, and a couple of bits and pieces.

Where'd ya go today? Someone with lots of spare parts I'm guessing!!

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk

yeah was from a guy down at welland, he was having a clean out
mostly CRF50 stuff

this is the rear wheel after a bit of a dust off
it has 13 broken spokes, reckon if Suzuki are expensive for replacements the local bike shop might have something.
they are about half the thickness of CRF50 spokes.
both wheels have good IRC tyres with about 80% tread too, date marked 2008 i'm guessing 08/09 DR-Z70 ?

i called into the Telstra shop today too, and told them my Galaxy S4 was shutting down when under load (internet or photo's)
he pulled the battery out and saw it was bulging, and replaced it under warranty for me, common problem

Latest posts

Back