my klx/drz 110 build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyxx

Reaction score
hi guys after a long absence im back, i have been away from the seen for a couple of years doing the normal stuff ie. buying a house getting married blah blah ,.

Anyway im back with a klx 110 , im sure its a drz tho. i got it mainly to teach the young bloke to ride a motorcycle so it will be staying a stock mod for the sinister 50s 110 class, i got it a few weeks ago fairly cheap IMO. i have got some parts for it but i haven't been taking photos before putting them on , it had already a tbr kick start, tbr brake pedal (pretty shagged), protaper bars, dampenig rods (not sure on brand), bills pipe and the best part a racetech rear shock.

so far i have brought for it new xr50 protapers, a cradle , billetware bash plate and a new chain.
this thing is a hoot to ride so keen to cut a few laps at the triple crown . any way here are the pics

Looks to be in pretty good condition !
Can't wait to see what you do to it.
That Billetware bash plate looks nice and heavy duty too.

What's up with your carby ?
And did you end up finding a gear shifter?
I'm pretty sure they are the same spline as our China bikes ?

And i can't believe there was 93 views on this thread without 1 reply !!

hey thanx my67xr, not much will be done to it , till the end of the year .
yea i ended up getting one off ebay was pretty expensive but o well, just had a flat spot from idel to WOT but i have made it way worse . i wrote whats up with it in the chat box .

So when you blip rev it it would hesitate?
What Pilot jet did it have originally ?
It might be a slight blockage in the carby base, in the hole at the bottom of the threads where the pilot jet screws into ?
Or a blockage somewhere else in the pilot circuit, or maybe at the tip of the mixture screw ?

It will idle and rev with a little hesitation then it will just die after around a minute , like as if it's run out of fuel

Might be something stuck in the needle and seat?
Does the fuel bowl have a drain hose on it ?
If it does run a bit of clear hose off it and hang it up above the top of the carby.
Then undo the drain screw and let the fuel flow into the hose, it will only come up the hose to the same level which is in the fuel bowl.
Measure and note how far down from the join of the bottom of the carby body/top of fuel bowl to the level of the fuel in the hose
like this, see the fuel level at 1" or 25mm down from the join-

20130530_105817.jpg

Doing this will tell you if there is a float level problem.

You can also start and run the bike like this ^^, let it run for a minute or so and see if the fuel flow stops and the level drops.
This could be because there is something stuck in the carby fuel inlet tube, blocking the needle and seat
or the fuel filter is blocked, or maybe the filter on the fuel tap is blocked
Could even be the fuel cap vent hole is blocked ?

The other thing i'd try after doing the above test, is to take the air filter off the carby and place your hand flat over the filter side of the carb to block it off.
Then kick the engine over a couple of times while holding the carby intake blocked.
With the vacuum this puts through the carby, it will spit a little fuel onto your hand.
Refit the filter and try starting the bike again, it will take a couple of kicks to fire up, when it's running try blipping the throttle and see if it revs better, and see if it stalls after a minute again.
If there is a slight blockage in the pilot circuit the vacuum may unblock it a little more.
If it runs better then i'd be pulling the carby down and give it a thorough clean out, both jets including the holes across the jets, the needle jet where the main jet screws into, the mixture screw, and where the jets screw into the bottom of the carby.
Blow some compressed air though the small ports on the filter side of the carby, and check you can feel air coming out the jets holes in the base of the carby.
Reassemble it and try it out.

Would a bent needle cause this issue ?i just notice a slight bend in the needle

Yeah that wouldn't help.
If it's bent then, then there's a good chance the brass tube (needle jet extension) that sit's in the bottom of the carby bore where the needle goes into could be no good too, worn unevenly.
Look at it down through where the slide fits, if the hole isn't round then that's a problem too.
Both would be causing an over rich issue ?

well I found the problem , my pet**** for reserve was clogged up so that was causing it to die. So I cleaned it out cleaned the whole carby again and I have just about got the flat spot gone completely:) it is still there but next week end I'll take it for a ride and fine tune it .
For anyone with a klx with a flat spot I am using #40 pilot #85 main and a shim under the needle !
Thank you so much my67xr you are a legend I was losing my cool yesterday with this ! Cheers mate

You should be able to tune the flat spot out.
Start and warm the bike up.
Raise the idle speed up a few hundred rpms by turning the idle speed screw in a little.
Listen to the way the engine is running,
Then turn the mixture screw out till the engine just starts to run worse, now turn screw the mixture screw back in until it gets to the smoothest/highest rpms, let the engine settle for 5-10 seconds after each adjustment.
Fine tune it a little each way till you are happy you have it at the best spot,
and if it's good you can drop the idle speed back down to normal again
Then take it out for a test ride.
It may still need a little adjustment, but won't be far off perfect.

Yea I have it pretty good right now, it's no where near as bad as it was . Next weekend I'll fine tune it abit more

Hey mate good to see you back into it. I'm pretty certain I own your old CRF50, I might post up a thread of what I've been doing with it.

Latest posts

Back