My New DHZ DPRO 160 Idle Issues

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmac6888

Reaction score
Hey all,

Firstly I am sorry if the answer is already in another thread but I have looked for a while and cannot find.

I got a new DHZ DPRO 160cc on the weekend as an upgrade from my Atomik 125 MX. FINALLY!
After some stuffing around and finding that some wiring was unplugged we finally got it running.
I warmed her up with the choke on for a while, but as soon as I took the choke off it would die. Even if I tried to keep the revs up myself it would just die.

I pulled the below info straight of DHZ site.

Engine Model: New Updated 6 Plate z160HO engine
Engine Type: 4 Stroke - Single Cylinder
Cooling System: OIL COOL
Compression: 12.0:1
Maximum Output KW/HP: 17HP (7500 +/- 500rpm)
Maximum Power / Rotating Speed: 13.0KW / 7500rpm
Front/Rear Sprocket Tooth Count: 16/41T 420pitch
Idle Speed: 1500 +/- 500rpm
Starting System: Kick Start
Clutch Type: Manual Wet Multi 5 Plate
Transmission: 4 SPEED Manual - N1234 (4Up)
Carburetor: Mikuni 30mm Racing Carburetor
Ignition: CDI
Fuel Type: High Octane Unleaded Fuel (92 or higher)
Engine Oil Grade: 20W/50 MINERAL 4 Stroke Engine Oil
Magneto Type: Electronic Ignition System
Intake/Exhaust: N/A
Final Drive: KMC #420 Race Chain
Spark Plug: Genuine NGK Spark Plug

I was really hoping I wouldn't have issues as it is literally straight out of the box, but ahh well.

Any help would be really great.

Thanks!

There's quite a few threads on things you should do to your bike before you attempt to start it, one of them is check your valve clearance, I'd try that before messing with your carbi settings if it still won't run check out, dpro 160 won't idle rotn50 has a few ideas on where to start with your carbi! Hope ya sort it out mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Start with basics first, take the air filter off and make sure you haven't confused the choke with being open when closed, like actually choking it when thinking your opening it. Second play with the rev screw turn the screw in to turn the revs up abit, then the mixture!. I don't know how familiar you are with these bikes so....

Cool thanks sounds good i'll give it a go. I know enough to do what you have suggested.
:)

when it dies does the rpm just slow until it stops? If so then simply adjust your idle screw which should be located on the side of the carby. Turn the anti-clockwise until it holds an idle.

If not then it gets a little more complicated, it could be vavles but more then likely it is tuning. But yeah there are really helpful threads on here to get you started with a new bike. e.g. http://www.miniriders.com/bike-setup/24239-achtung-noobs-your-new-pitbike-you-set-up-tips.html
hope you work it out cause them dpro's are nice bikes.

Thanks man yeah i have pulled the carby apart on the old atomik I had so I can do it again if need be. I had adjusted the idle and it made no difference. It would just dies after about 3 seconds even with throttle. Choke on its fine though. Thanks for the link i will read up!

Check for air leaks and also take the pilot and main jet out and clean them with an air compressor or the air from your lungs. My old Pitpro ran horrible when one of the jets was stuck.

you sure you have the choke the right way ?? take your air filter off and check which way is which flap open and flap closed i remember on those fakuni 30mm the choke is ON when you flick the black lever up choke is OFF when the black lever is down

Ok so i pulled the carby off tonight to have a look and check the jets etc. they looked fine but i cleaned them again.
Checked that I had the choke the right way, you are right, when the black lever is up the the choke is on and the vent is opened (I am pretty sure that means its on cause its letting more air through?) then when its down it is off and the vent is not letting much air through..... am a bit noob on this.
when the choke is on it runs fine, but as soon as i take the choke off and the vent closes it immediately dies.

20121030_203848.jpg

When the vent closes the choke is actually on mate, when the vent(butterfly) is open and you can see thru the carby the choke is off, the picture you put up has the choke on, so it will die, to run the lever must be down.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, BREAK IT :)

Like I said ages ago. Where your air filter attaches, inside there is a little round disc which turns as you push or pull the choke lever this is called the butterfly. When you start your bike you start it with the butterfly closed so it limits the air, let the bike warm up for about a minute or until you hear a rev change then open the butterfly so when you throttle the engine can breath. If the engine dies like starts to lose revs then turn up the idle. I still reckon from what your saying you have the choke operation back to front.

Like I said ages ago. Where your air filter attaches, inside there is a little round disc which turns as you push or pull the choke lever this is called the butterfly. When you start your bike you start it with the butterfly closed so it limits the air, let the bike warm up for about a minute or until you hear a rev change then open the butterfly so when you throttle the engine can breath. If the engine dies like starts to lose revs then turn up the idle. I still reckon from what your saying you have the choke operation back to front.

Yeah brendo, think ya right lad.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, BREAK IT :)

haha sorry chaps, i believe i just went full retard... and you never go full retard....

One more question then, on every bike i have had, i have needed the choke to warm up the bike. When i put a choke on generally it increases the revs... but when i put this choke on it dies?
Annnnyway I am probably just a bit special..lol

Thanks for your help though, **** makes more sense.

its all good dude, thats why people dont mind helping, i have overlooked info before and made a boo boo, but atleast you know that your bike probably wont need choke to start. Now you can get on and give it a thrashin. Good luck mate

Yeah no worries mate, I actually did the same thing once upon a time because the choke was back to front from the bike i was used to riding thou it only took about a minute to realize what i was doing wrong. Yeah you must of went full retard, but **** we all have them moments. My 160 starts second kick no choke, some bike need choke some bikes don't. Remember to think simple with these bikes Fuel, Air & Spark, good luck with it and have fun.

So you had the choke back to front that's all I did mention it a few posts into this thread

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back