Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lightened my spare clutch drum yesterday, cut 4 circle's out.
It should help the engine to spin up faster.
But i won't get to compare the weight saving till the engine come's out when i paint the frame

I've now finished welding /modding the frame, i started blasting it today
It now has 2 position's for the rear shock's, standard and 1" raised
And i have made another steering stop for it too

Looking good man, can't wait to see more. One of my cousins started on a PW 50, that thing was a blast to ride, even as an adult =P.

Thank's mate.
I put the first coat of urethane primer on it just before tea tonight. and it's currently hanging off the clothes line drying.
It's only about 12° here atm, luckily it's moisture/air cure paint, best thing about it is it's hammer tough, you can hit it with a hammer and it wont chip off.
And it's self levelling, so will fill any low spot's (within reason) as well.
Tomorrow i'll scuff it back and give it a second coat.

81wMFm4jbTL._SY355_.jpg

Last edited:
The primer has almost fully cured now, 85% to 100% fully cured in 2.5 - 3 hour's @12 degree's C
The gloss is very shiny, and has an almost ceramic like appearance
This primer has a very high chemical resistance too, i'll get some more pic's of it in the day time tomorrow too.

Product Time Result
Sodium Hydroxide 10% 168Hr Some discoloration, coating intact
Sulphuric Acid 20% 168Hr Some discoloration, coating intact
Hydrochloric Acid 40% 168Hr No noticeable change
Phosphoric Acid 20% 168Hr No noticeable change
Ammonium Chloride (Fertilizer) 168Hr No noticeable change
Brake fluid 168Hr No noticeable change
MEK ( Strong Solvent) 168Hr No noticeable change
93 octane Fuel 168Hr No noticeable change
Xylene 168Hr No noticeable change
Hydraulic fluid 168Hr No noticeable change
Diesel 168Hr No noticeable change

I welded the rear hoop back on this morning, and got a second coat of paint on earlier this arvo, 1 more coat to go.
There's about 100ml's of paint left from the 250ml tin
It's a bit hard to get a decent picture of the gloss, but here's a couple more pic's

Last edited:
I rigged up a temporary spray booth today to top coat the frame.
It's been cold and wet here the last few days.
This afternoon it's go to 15 degree's, and in the 'booth' it's around 20° now
First coat is on now and is looking good.
i just had a break, and had a tooth pulled, now back home and will put on the next coat if it's dry enough.

Thank's, yeah it's looking very shiny like it's been powdercoated.
Temp has dropped off here now, so i might not be able to get a second coat on :mmph:
Might have to try and seal up the booth more and get my kero heater out

Yeah i could paint it for you, do you have a spray gun and compressor? You can paint can't you?

Painting with a spray gun is easier than with a pressure pack coz you have a lot more control.
You just need to mix the paint and thinner's or reducer to the get the best balance of paint.
And get a bit of practice painting anything that's laying around.
The worst thing is cleaning the gun etc once your done

But i must say it's aa lot easier than jetting a carby !

i should be able to hook you up with a compressor as i have a spare one here, then you'll just need a gun, and some hose and fitting's then your ready to go.
You can get some good cheap gun's now day's too, so for a 30m airline, fitting's, a blow gun and a spray gun you'd spend under $100

Seat has been dropped off, i'll have it back wednesday or thursday.
Same style as the 3rd pic down, raised centre section, black gripper cover and some flat/level blue leather stripe's..

Thank's mate.
I heat wrapped the expansion chamber this arvo, it's alway's fun doing a tapered pipe with turn's in it, not !!
Took me just under 2 hour's from start to finish, i still need to get some stainless tie wire to tighten the wrap where the stainless zip tie's are.
I had about 200mm(10") of wrap left over from the 7600mm (25')x 50mm(2") wide roll

Last edited:
Driveshafted??? Neat id like that alot better than chain in some situations...just cant change gearing easy

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Yeah the PW50 diff ratio is 4.82/1, you can also use the gear's out of a Yamaha QT50 scooter they have a ratio of 5.7/1 so you'll get a holeshot on your mate's.
The top speed difference isn't that much either in the PW, with qt gear's it's around 8mph slower.

There is also another aftermarket primary drive gear you can get for the PW's which is a 32 tooth gear instead of the standard 33 tooth.
This smaller gear is said to give you the same acceleration as fitting the QT gear's into a PW.

QT50 owner's use the PW gear's in their bike's too, it give's them a faster top end speed.

Latest posts

Back