Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my67xr

Miniriders Legend and Master Spanner Spinning Mode
Reaction score
ok, iv'e done it again....
i should be selling bikes but had the chance to purchase a Yamaha PW50 today..........and did.

it had been sitting for a few years in a guys shed, he bought it as a non running project bike to fix for his daughter.
but he'd never got around to doing anything to it.

anyway i got it back home,
the kickstart was off a china pitbike, the foot pedal was the wrong way around for the l/h side kick start PW50.
so i took it off, and cut it near the end, near the flip out pedal, and rewelded it so it would work like the little Yamaha 2 stroker needed.
next i drained the carby, put some fresh 2 stroke in the tank and gave it a few kicks, it fired for a second and stalled.
pulled the plug and checked it, it was brand new.
kicked it over and got a boot through the plug lead.
refitted plug and kicked it again with the choke on, it started and ran a little rough.
the air screw needed a little adjustment and now it runs and revs nice.
i pumped up the tyres and took it for a quick strap around the backyard, it goes quite well.
now to source a few little bits and pieces, and start cleaning,painting, detailing ......:D:D
i think the pink forks and rear springs will be the first bits to get a colour change,
i don't want Hillz to get jealous.....

1pw50.jpeg

Last edited:
Hows the frame? From where i sit it looks kinda borked (bent through the middle) but photos can make things look wierd. p.s better leave those pink forks, it the new colour of all the cool kids ;)

too late timeeh,
they've already been resprayed Blue this morning.
frame has been rewelded up under the front of the tank, but is still straight.
it isalso missing the bush under the rear of the tank, so is sitting an inch and a bit lower than it should be.

a few more pics, dodgy phone still....

IMG0059A.jpg

IMG0057A.jpg

IMG0056A.jpg

IMG0063A.jpg

IMG0064A.jpg

IMG0072A.jpg

IMG0066A.jpg

IMG0074A.jpg

IMG0077A.jpg

Attachments

• IMG0058A.jpg
    IMG0058A.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 22
Those little 50 donks go really well and for a small kid they go good. It actually looks like the condition is really good, the frame setup def looks a little wierd but you would know if it wasnt right. All in all i reckon good score mate, sold my little QR50 85 model today, it didnt have an exhaust so i cut and shutted the same pipe yours is running and worked a treat. Good stuff craig.

the condition of the plastics, seat and paintwork is pretty average imo.
i pulled the plastics off the seat today and can see the seats' plastic base is bent up a fair bit at the front
so when i get a chance, ill be stripping the foam and vinyl off it and reshaping it with the hot air gun.
it should sit a lot better against the tank, and it will make the frame look not so weird.
tomorrow i'll knock up a pair of trainer wheels for it, and see how master 6 goes on the weekend

i picked up a temporary front fender for it today, a blue pitpro crf50 one for $5, and cut it down, and modified it to fit the lower tripples.
and found another used tyre for the rear too, a 2.5 x 10 cheng shin for $25, has about 6mm tread.
i also dropped the header pipe to check if the restricter was still there, but it has been removed already.
i stripped the paint off the handlebars as well, then etch primed them, and gave them a fresh coat of sparkly metallic silver and a finishing coat of 2 pack clear
the top tripple clamp, got stripped of paint and etched, then was resprayed in gloss black
the front end is looking a lot tidier now.

the lad had a great time over the weekend, he is a natural....

1cj.jpg 1cjpw.jpg

i found out why the tank looks like it it is mounted at the wrong angle, and makes the frame look weird.
there were 2 sorts used, this bike has the wrong type fitted.
here is the correct tank for this bike-

1pwtank.jpg

Cj learn't very quickly how to ride the PW over the long weekend.
we went for a couple of small rides, then a longer 4km ride.
he wanted to head down to the minibike track next so we took him there and spent 2 hours doing laps.
next day was pretty much the same,

i retuned the bike as it was a bit hard to start cold.
the needle clip was on the top notch, so i moved it down and tuned it a couple of times, it ended up needing the bottom slot.
so i will get another couple of jets for it, and a couple of new pilots jets too, bigger ones.

the bike was running really well on the last day, we went down the driveway and back together,
him at WOT for 2km's, from one end to the other, then back again.
he had a slight problem when we got back to the shed though.
he wanted to keep it full throttle, and use the brake, the bike skidded and hit the grader blade on the tractor....
he was lucky not to of hurt himself, just bent the r/h trainer wheel axle.

IMG0080A.jpg

IMG0081A.jpg

IMG0082A.jpg

IMG0084A.jpg

IMG0083A.jpg

i temporarily fixed it up again, and was good for the few hours we had left there.
i think he learnt his lesson though, he slows down a bit earlier now

Doesn't look like a stack to me, i think you'll find this was his first ever "Rip a skid" moment, good thing you got it on camera :p
Good stuff getting the kids into riding, im sure it makes things easier if your kid like the same things you do, which looks like the case. :thumbup:

thanks timeeh,
yeah he has no fear, the look on his face when he first held it flat out was priceless.
i'm wishing i had that recorded on a helmet cam
the PeeWee does close on 60kmph now, with some more tuning hmm ??

i ate plenty of dust/dirt following him around our track too,
i'll put some more pics up when the wife gets home.

i have done a little bit to the PW in the last week,
i pulled the head and barrel off and gave the exhaust port a clean up, i decarboned it, and a bit of a clean up with the die grinder straightening out the walls of the port a little.
the piston is on it's second oversize and is looking a bit worn, so i have a new one on order from japan along with a set of rings, gudgeon pin, clips and bearing , got the set for $20 delivered.
it should be here in a couple of weeks.
the compression was a bit low with the worn bits, 50psi
so i have bumped it up a bit now by shaving the head 1mm, compression is now a touch under 75psi.

i took the back wheel off to replace the tyre, and while it was off i sandblasted the rim and resprayed it silver and top coated it with 2 pack clear.
next day i refitted the tyre.

the front wheel is now off, tyre stripped, and the rim is half way through the process of cleaning that up too.

i found some good used plastics for it, and am picking them up tomorrow
a front fender/numberplate, rear fender/side plates a tank and seat, all for $50.
should look good all cleaned up and back together.

Cj's first lap on the track,

thanks, yeah on the 3rd day he was asking if they can come off, he cant ride a 16" bmx without the trainers though.
but he is a chip off the old block for sure, and a bit too confident sometimes.....
on the way home from riding that weekend Cj asked me if i could build him a sidecar to fit to it.
he wants to start racing it, with his 4 year old mate in the sidecar, lol,
i'm sure his mate's mum would be happy about that !

we'll give him a try without the trainers next time we go riding,
will have to find a big area that will give him a reasonably soft landing when he stacks it, and get it on camera too.
problem is most of the soft stuff at the farm is loose sand....
i think he will get the hang of it quick enough , learning to ride on the PW, it should help him with his balance riding his bmx too.

we have also talked about joining a Motorcross club,
so when my inlaws move back home from the farm in september, we can still go out riding.
he also wants to race against others on their PW50's.

im going out later today to pick up the other plastics set too.

cheers, craig

the new piston kit arrived monday morning,
i have just dropped the cylinder down to be machined out to .5 o/s
should have it back here and assembled again tomorrow arvo

Top job Craig sounds like the young fellas got the bike bug now LOL there will be no stopping him its amazing how quick they get the hang of things once they get started.

Latest posts

Back