My road registered 140cc Assassin / Shineray build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo jones

Reaction score
I sourced a Shinray Yamato frame with ADR tags on it and I am swapping all my assasian gear into it the frame came with the 12v harness for all the lights and horn so all I need now are the blinkers tail light and head light.
Here are the before pic's. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

And here is the after pics it wasn't a straight bolt up rear shock mount had to be swapped from assasian frame and exhaust frame mout moved back also the head set bearings have to be sealed with a smaller set. (Haven't done that yet)
And still need to buy lights and fit the wiring harness then time for rego and hit some trails with out looking over my shoulderimage.jpgimage.jpg

Ok, so it is a 2007 Yamoto then, running Assassin Stickers etc

this is what the Yamoto 110cc would have looked like when it was new / registerable

yamoto.JPG

Yep but the only thing Yamoto is the frame the rest is assasian other than the lights and and stuff that I have to put on it.

Where did you source the frame from?

It was on eBay and came with the speedo and wiring harness cost me $260

won't you have to get an engineers certificate because the engine isn't one that was originally offered by the manufacturer for that particular frame? if you want to road reg the bike that is...

There are ways and I think I you can go up 25% in cc's Or so I've been told

Not sure what state you're in so it might be different but got this off the vicroads website

Change of engine - scenario 3

The replacement engine is not of a type and/or make offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle, but is equivalent in general configuration, power, mass, and emissions standard to that of the original or optional engine for the vehicle model and can be installed without any structural alterations.
Documents required:

a signed declaration from the registered operator, motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer certifying that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that engine have been completed. A VASS Approval certificate from a VicRoads’ Vehicle Assessment Signatory can be provided instead of a signed declaration.
an original receipt for the purchase of the engine must be provided as proof of ownership of the engine
a completed Change of vehicle details form [PDF 135 Kb] providing new engine details
You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle's engine inspected to confirm the new engine details*. No appointment is required.

*If presenting with a Certificate of Roadworthiness or VASS Approval Certificate including the new engine number the vehicle's engine will not be inspected (This only applys for a currently registered Victorian vehicles).

doesn't sound too bad but will still need a mechanic to sign off on it...

Engine replacements
Many manufacturers produce a series of models with the
same basic frame fitted with engines of differing
capacity. No approval is required if the smaller capacity
engine is replaced by a larger capacity engine from the
same series provided the brakes and suspension from the
larger capacity motorbike are fitted and no modification
is required to the frame.
The fitting of any other alternative replacement engine,
superchargers or turbochargers will require individual
approval in accordance with Section 3.

this is taken from a QLD Vehicle Standards Buelletin

2.1 CHOICE OF REPLACEMENT ENGINE
A manufacturer’s standard or optional engine should be selected and installed using all the
standard components for that vehicle model. However, where this is not practicable, the following
requirements should be met:
 Any replacement engine should be of similar mass and power output to that of an engine
fitted by the original vehicle manufacturer as standard or optional equipment;
 When the replacement engine is larger in power output than an engine offered by the
vehicle manufacturer as standard or optional equipment, the vehicle must be equipped
with any necessary upgrading of equipment, e.g. brakes, front suspension, etc.; and
 The power and/or torque of the replacement engine must not exceed the capacity of the
vehicle driveline.
Using the engine manufacturer’s published specifications, the dimensions of the selected engine
should be checked against the vehicle to ensure that:
 the engine, together with all of its components, fits into the available space without major
frame, body or other modifications;
 the engine mass and location of centre of mass must not result in excessive mass on the
front or rear suspension;
 the location of ancillary equipment, such as the cooling system, the intake and exhaust
systems must be suitable for the vehicle layout; and
 the replacement engine must be installed in a position and on an angle that allows the
driveline to operate correctly.
If the installation requires modifications to the vehicle structure, such as chassis rails and firewalls,
the modification must be performed in accordance with the applicable LH Code(s)

Cheers for that info I'm in NSW we will see what's needed when I take it for a blue slip

been searching ebay for a frame with adr stickers, no luck.
wonder if i could get one made up at a sticker shop. (oops thinking out loud!)

Good luck lol you would need the right vin number and one that isint already registered
I was lucky to find this

Digging up old thread ...

Did you get this beastie registered?

I know this is a old thread, I am just going to say that the frames are incredibly rare and they also have no clue what the bikes are. You can stick any engine plastics or what ever you want on it and get it registered. I have a 150cc oil cooled engine and Honda Crf plastics (one way to turn heads) on mine. its road registered. I have been watching facebook and gumtree trying to find another one of these frames.

I’ve still got this frame but not built yet I’ll be building it probably next year some time.

From my experience with cars it's going to be difficult to get it registered as they have cracked down so hard these days compared to the days of old. Plus you will have to pass an emissions test also I think?? I could be wrong tho, hopefully I am

Latest posts

Back