Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah seen those style setups in the early 70's.....

Nice job!! Hope my '86 DS looks this good when I'm done! Can I ask where you got your new seat cover? I haven't had a lot of luck finding one...Found lots of Honda covers but not for Suzuki? My seat is actually pretty good but has a hole about an inch in diameter, where it meets the tank. Your plastics look super! I believe the plastics on mine are all aftermarket and aren't in bad shape but will still need a little work. Are you done with yours or are you still at it?
Pail

thanks,
nah, i have only spent a couple of days on it so far.

the dodgy back-yarder seat retrim was done by me.
i found an old seat cushion by the side of the road, someones hard rubbish, lol
the blue vinyl caught my eye as i was driving, i grabbed it.
i ripped some bits of foam off the backing and filled the holes in the seat.
then taped them over to hold it all flat with some masking tape
the vinyl was stretched over the foam/base , i used a hot air blower to help the vinyl stretch over the shape a little.
and on the underside i just used some short screws i had, and screwed it to the base plastic.
the screws only just come through the other side 1mm or so, but you cant feel the points, due to the foam etc.
it came up ok i reckon,,,,,, i even put suzuki emblems on the sides, lol.
i used a cheap pair of stickers from ebay, and stuck it to the clean vinyl, then used some masking tape around that to make a border.
then gave it a few coats of VHT white satin vinyl spray to colour it.
it is just a cheapo repair for now.

i cleaned out the exhaust the other day, cooked it on a butane hotplate, camp cooking style, lol
smoked really bad/thick for an hour and a half. had some flames shoot out the ends as the oil/fuel pooled in the chamber, it went off with a big woooooooooof!!!!.
luckily i wasnt at either end of the pipe at the time., and bits of debris on fires, carbon, oil etc spat out all over the place.
luckily there was a bit of wind on the day too
the end result is a sweet, free flowing expansion chamber, im stoked with it now.
i welded a tag to mount the muffler as well.
so the exhaust is basically finished.

i had it running again, the idle was still to high.
i tracked it down to being a warped rubber intake manifold
i machined it back as far as i could, and ended up running a thick o'ring inbetween it and the head.
all fixed,
i have been able to get the idle down to around 800rpms, that'll do me for a while.
i might be able to take it to a mates block today for a bit of a run, will see how things go after lunch.
i will see if i can get some video footage?
i want to give it a run against my mates sons' PW80 that ive fixed up, think i know who'll be quicker.....

cheers, craig

Last edited:
very nice mate!! with my ds, i'm not sure if you would like to risk doing to to yours, i loosened the bolt on the kick start, drilled a hole so it was half drilled onto the kick start, half into the shaft, screwed a self tapper screw into it, then tightened the **** out of the kick start bolt. done that about a year ago and its still working great. thats just an idea for you mate.

thanks,
nah i have just welded it on for now.
i have found a few shafts, around $60 delivered ex usa and another in italy
it wont be coming off in a hurry, i want to give it a bit of a ride before i decide what to do.

looks great man, I'm about 2/3's of the way through my build now and will get a thread going for that when I finish.
I was talking to a mechanic today about these little things and he said to put on a exhaust from a rm80 from the same era and it will go like stink.
He also mentioned to check what height your piston is at when at bottom position by looking through the exhaust port, if it sits flush with the bottom of the port then its fine, but if its higher, then a spacer could be used between the cylinder and bottom casings to bring it flush.

Did you get my pm?

Sweet Craig, go the Suzi.

cheers,

another couple of dodgy short video's off my phone, a quick strap down the old quarry and back.
there are a heap of big rocks to negotiate, you can hear some over-revs now and then when the back wheels' spinning.
and when i hit a rise just before the up ramp at the other end too.

Thats an awsome little toy you got yourself :) Can't belive how quick the damn thing goes, and the noise is pretty sweet too. Good stuff mate :)

thanks timmeh,
yeah it goes pretty good for it's size, top speed is just over 90k's at redline in 5th.

gooseman,
i could modify your exhaust if your interested.
lengthen the front header pipe, and give the expansion chamber a longer tapered exit.
this will bring on the power band a bit sooner and also for a bit longer.
some carbon fibre reed valves may help yours a bit too, they're about $25 delivered.

Woah that is wicked. Can't believe how good it looks now compared to when u bought it

cheers mate, it has come a long way since buying it,
even though i would have only spent about 3 full days work doing it.

i recently fitted a new front tyre too, a Kenda Trackmaster, bought off ebay for $20, including another tyre , a Kenda Millsville and a brand new tube.

it still starts first kick, even after sitting for a few months with 2 stroke in the carby.
the front end feels a lot better too now after flushing the oil in the forks and replacing it.

it will be sad having to sell it soon.....

maybe selling it mid to late this year?
and i'm running out of room in my signature below, lol

nah,
i dont have enough room to store them all too.
DS80, custom Orion 125, Atomik 150, 2x Chappy's, a Dune Buggy, Yamaha IT200, plus 1/2 another DS80, 1/2 another Orion 125
all that, plus my cars, 67 XR Fairmont, 97 EL Fairmont, 98 Mazda 626, 04 Territory, an old wooden 1950's 6x4 trailer, and a 1960's 7x4 customised trailer im trying to finish....
then all my other projects......
i buy fix and sell lawnmowers, whipper snippers, LCD tv's/Plasma tv's.
too many projects on the go, i cant keep up, lol

thanks russell,
it easier to help other people out sometimes, than it is to do whatever im trying to do. :frustrated:
re-enginerering these bikes can take a bit of thinking things through, and makes for a better quality/reliability build/fix in the long run.
it makes me happy anyway ;)

cheers, craig

Latest posts

Back