Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my67xr

Miniriders Legend and Master Spanner Spinning Mode
Reaction score
here is a bike i picked up a while ago, a 1986 Suzuki DS80
it wasnt running and needed a few parts to complete it.
i have had the bike for 6 months now, it has been hanging from the beams in my shed.
faded plastics, aftermarket rear fender, stretched chain, worn sprockets, bent bars, rusted out expansion chamber, rear muffler missing, kick starter welded on, no wiring loom, no stator or flywheel, no headlight and a few other issues.
i paid $50 for it as is.

cheers, craig

this is how it looked when i picked it up

Photo0812.jpg

Photo0813.jpg

a couple of months ago i found a another '85 DS80 wreck,
i wass told it had a good motor etc, but it wasnt running
it had quite a few parts that i need for the other bike so i bought it.

here it is, i took the motor out, hedlight off, rear fender off and tank off.

041.jpg

043.jpg

046.jpg

052.jpg

Try rubbing the tank back with 600 grit wet & dry sand paper and soapy water, It will get rid of the fading & put a shine back on it, You can go over it with some wax type auto paint or even aluminium polish to get it really sparklin & back to new looking

thanks mate, yeah i posted the way to fix plastics yesterday on another thread.

i have been swaping some parts over in the last few days, and cleaning them up at the same time
more pics

tank half way there

025.jpg

028.jpg

new old stock rear fender, and used light off the other bike

014-1.jpg

motor out of the other bike, degreased and a quick respray
expansion chamber has had a temporary repair.
and a muffler i made for it too

018.jpg

020.jpg

032.jpg

018.jpg

024.jpg

front wheel almost cleaned up

038.jpg

rear wheel degreased

039.jpg

Last edited:
i also gave the seat a dodgy retrim with a piece of vinyl i had laying around

this is how it sits after 2 days of playing with it.
i had it running too, carby needed a clean out and rejetting
next thin i need to find a new/used kickstart shaft.
should be easy enough as most of the earlier/later RM80 parts interchange

011-2.jpg

016-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

was that engine repainted, looks great, just need an airbox

edit: allright just looked though again and found my answer. oops

Last edited:
That looks absolutely wicked! Did you need all new plastics or did you clean all the old stuff up? Did you already have the Headlight/Numberplate assembly? Nice work mate it looks awesome!

thanks guys,
yeah above the 10th pic up, i wrote i gave the engine a quick degrease and respray.
i used VHT engine enamel paint, high temp satin black for the OEM finish.
just noticed you edited it, lol

the only new plastic piece is the rear fender, i found it at a motorbike shop, in a box of new old stock plastics.
they were all at clearance prices, i got the fender for $5, i couldnt get the cash out my pocket quick enough!!
thought they had made a mistake...

the other plastics were all from the original bike,
they have had the scrape/sand/polish treatment
the lights came with the second parts bike, it is hard stuff to find being 25 years old.
i have a source for other new old stock too, a guy in the US helps me out where he can.
next time im talking to him, i'll ask for a price on the headlamp lense/reflector, shroud/surround, retainer clip, adjusting screw and spring, and the 2 screws for the top, the bulb and the bulb loom too.
iirc it was about $85-$95 for the lot?
not too bad a price if you are ever going to use it at night, an aftermarket setup would cost about the same, if not more?
and will add to the value of your bike too

cheers, craig

Last edited:
oh yeah, good spotting, i have the 2x airboxes here,
i was going to run a pitbike filter on it for the moment,
i will modify one of the original airboxes to give it a bigger intake opening, and chuck a Unifilter in it too.

i took the oil tank out at the same time, im running premix through it
i have disconnected the oil pump too.

Last edited:
i had a play with the clutch earlier this morning, it was stuck on?
i pulled the side cover off and noticed the clutch looks like new, bonus!

it has had a new clutch cable fitted, but the new ones' adjuster was 10mm longer than the old cable i had on the other motor.
i cut 10mm of the tread and refitted it, and now it works fine.
the old owner when he fitted the new cable, had puit the locknut on the wrong side of the cable mount thats cast into the side cover, that didnt help either.
all fixed now.

That looks absolutely wicked! Did you need all new plastics or did you clean all the old stuff up? Did you already have the Headlight/Numberplate assembly? Nice work mate it looks awesome!

see in my second post, a pic of the rear fender by itself,
above the centre mounting bolt hole, you can see where i started to scrape the white chalky oxidisation off.
it was about 1.5mm thick that needed to come off to find the original yellow colour again.
i havent continued with the fender since i found the brand new one.

thanks timeeh,
i want to get it all together and going, then i'll strip it to bare bones and powdercoat the frame.
and refinish anything else that needs it.
i will probably strip the paint off the motor and sand back all the chips, then give it a decent respray.
im going to redo the faded gold finish on the rims too, just to make it look like it's almost new.
the gold handlebars will be replaced with some new ones as well, probably anodised alloy's

dont count on it, lol
we have a huge property to ride on

oh yeah, good spotting, i have the 2x airboxes here,
i was going to run a pitbike filter on it for the moment,
i will modify one of the original airboxes to give it a bigger intake opening, and chuck a Unifilter in it too.

i took the oil tank out at the same time, im running premix through it
i have disconnected the oil pump too.

good job on the bike mate! & also good thinking on Ditching the Oil tank & Oil pump..

I've had a couple friends that, well lets say weren't very familiar with bikes yet

so.. on 1 of the bikes, the oil ran out & he kept riding it til the bike gave out lol

the other, well.. the oil pump just stopped working 1 day, or the line was plugged?

can't really remember 2be honest (very long time ago) but uhm, I'll wrap it up!

moral of the story is... when YOU mix your own gas & oil, you know you'll be good!

nasty melted piece, sum1 must hav laid it down while the bike was hottttt hahaha

other than that, it really does look good mate!

Gotta be careful though some oil injection systems do exactly that, Inject oil exactly where it is needed around the crank & bearings etc!

thanks jakestef,
its slowly getting there.
i wish the melted section was on the opposite sides' plastic trim, i have a spare one.
oh well i can alwayscut an old bit off something else yellow and plastic weld it myself , if i cant find another one cheap enough.

Gotta be careful though some oil injection systems do exactly that, Inject oil exactly where it is needed around the crank & bearings etc!

i havent seen too many setups like that.
the Yamaha's and Suzuki's ive worked on just have the oil line from the pump, connected into the intake manifold or carby, just downstream from the carby slide.

it is a lot easier to run the mix you want by premixing it.
who knows what fuel/oil ratio the oil pump supplies when its running?

i started it again today, cleaned the carby again and it wouldn't rev properly.
i thought it may be starving for fuel, so i rebuilt the other DS80 carby,
fitted it and it did the exact same thing.
i pulled the expansion chamber off and started it again, it revved easily, and fast.
then turned it off again.

the expansion chamber must be carboned/oil up and very restricted.
i will grab another bottle of LPG tomorrow and cook the carbon/oil out of it.
i'll hook up my blow torch to it and start at the head end, and get it burning, then blow compressed air through the expansion chamber and it will cook all the crap out.
the neighbours will love the smell....hopefully it is windy here tomorrow, to dissipate the smoke too, lol

Last edited:
Not sure about the DS80 (could not find a diagram) but a lot of 2-strokes use a similar system, Suzuki's version shown below is called CCI (crankcase injection) & it feeds oil directly into the 2 main bearings, Google it!

suzuki_tc-ts90_oil.JPG

Latest posts

Back