Need help piecing together e-start

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangaBlitzFanga

Reaction score
Thinking I might reinstall the e-start on the zhongshen 250cc. It's all there but the previous owner removed the middle gear that connects the e-start to the flywheel, saying it would continually engage when riding. I'm assuming there's supposed to be a spring behind it that pushes it inward toward the e-start gear, and centrifugal force pushes it out when spinning? if so, it must have broke at some point prior

If that's all i'm missing I can probably source a spring or make one of my own. Is that how its supposed to work? I'll throw up a pic in a sec to explain

edit: pics
imag0069nn.jpg

imag0070e.jpg

looks like I also need a rod that would go through the gear and into the case to center it

Last edited:
All you are missing is the rod which sits in the groove pictured and in the hole on the electric start cover, there isnt any spring, there is a bearing type mechanism that attaches to the back of the flywheel with which connects to the starter cogs which grip the flywheel with the inertia of the starter spinning the cogs, once the bike starts and the starter disengaged the bearings let go. On the pic you displayed you can see a groove in the hole, this groove accomodates a smaller rod that sits in the larger rod which basically stops the main rod with the cog on it from spinning when the starter is engaged and wearing away at the casing.

ok so I need the right rod, can't just use any sort of metal cylinder. Question is where do I get one? I don't even know what to search for

edit: think this is it? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/zongshen...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1abf8f43 but I still don't understand. Cause if I simply put the rod in, the gear is free to move in and out along it. When i'm riding along it's going to move inwards and touch the flywheel gear and connect the starter to it. Thus it'll continue to engage and disengage. What forces it outward to stop that from happening?

Or are you saying that the middle cog 'should' be touching those gears, and the engagement/disengagement happens elsewhere in the engine? and thus something else may have broken/seized?

edit2: Currently If I pop the middle gear in and push it in all the way, and then slowly turn the kick starter, it does turn the cog and starter at the same time. Only way it doesn't engage is if I pull it out slightly so it's not touching the inner cog

Last edited:
That is the rod assembly mate, there is quite a few different cog setups but considering you have the cog is a good thing, even though all the gears touch each other that you can see they only turn when you hit the electric start, http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/531132658/250cc_motorcycle_engine_parts_Electric_Start.html This cog pictured is what those gears you see connect, and as it turn it connects the bearings(from the raised section in the centre. http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/497600408/Zongshen_CB250_magneto_kit.html In the pic this link shows you will see a green plastic holder, that green thing is removed and is only there for keeping the bearings in place thru transit, so the small rounded section in the middle of the cog on the first pic sits inside the bearings in which the green retainer sits, when you hit the starter that cog(first pic) turns and the bearings on the back of the magneto grab the starter cog and turns the magneto starting the engine, when the starter is disengaged the cog stops turning and the magneto becomes free of the cog. It is the exact same concept as a electric start horizontal pitbike motor but instead of a chain running from the starter to the magneto bearing setup it is engaged thru cogs. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
it does however is it likely that something else has siezed? since if I slot the cog in and then start pushing the kick start through its stroke. It's turning the cog and thus the e-starter at the same time. So is it likely the bearings on the magneto are siezed and causing it to permanently be engaged?
And if so, how hard is it to open up and clean/repack or replace them? if it's a PITA i'll ignore it and keep using the kick start

You can remove the magneto cover, and when you grab the magneto turn it, it will turn the engine in one direction and then freespin in the other direction, although if it turns the engine in both directions then yes it maybe seized or semi seized requiring lubeing, if the cage holding the bearings in is damaged you need to either get a new magneto with the bearing kit installed on it or if your lucky and can find the bearing pack minus the magneto then sweet. The bearings as such are not round and if any come out then the cage holding them is damaged. I will double check all this at work tomoz for you mate.

Latest posts

Back