New Atomik Reign and Nitrous users

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonjj

Reaction score
Hi all

New to this forum, been looking for some tips so thought I would join.

Just purchased a new Atomik Reign Bigfoot 140cc for me (mid life crisis, not ridden since a teen - 47 now), and a Atomik Nitrous Mid Size 125 for my 11 year old. I figured it was something we could do together and I could keep an eye on him!! Managed to just about put mine together, have almost got it. Problem is.....I'm in the medical profession and not too mechanically minded!!
There is no oil in, so I know that's a must......but want else should I check before kicking it over?? (Petrol of course :))

All help is greatly appreciated. I'm keen to learn (with my son) how to look after the engine, do the basics if I can get my head around it.

Thanks in advance
(Mornington Peninsula)

if you like videos.... check this out... this is my bike being put together ... http://youtu.be/heo-mtzbcp4
also there should be oil in there...but if not.. buy some 4stroke mineral oil slap 800-900mls in...also make sure you dont have any oil in there just unscrew the sump bolt and see... then tighten it back up... tight...
also rip out the spark plug, mind you not literally.. grab a CH7SA ngk plug.. maybe check the chain adjust it accordingly... then you should be right!

Hi all

New to this forum, been looking for some tips so thought I would join.

Just purchased a new Atomik Reign Bigfoot 140cc for me (mid life crisis, not ridden since a teen - 47 now), and a Atomik Nitrous Mid Size 125 for my 11 year old. I figured it was something we could do together and I could keep an eye on him!! Managed to just about put mine together, have almost got it. Problem is.....I'm in the medical profession and not too mechanically minded!!
There is no oil in, so I know that's a must......but want else should I check before kicking it over?? (Petrol of course :))

All help is greatly appreciated. I'm keen to learn (with my son) how to look after the engine, do the basics if I can get my head around it.

Thanks in advance
(Mornington Peninsula)

Definitely this http://www.miniriders.com/bike-setup-/24239-achtung-noobs-your-new-pitbike-you-set-up-tips.html

You can do more if you want like bleed the brakes etc! But its a really good idea to loctite everything.
Just make sure you use medium strength loctite so the bolts will come back out again if needed!
Don't use the mining company grade stuff, cause you're not going to have fun trying to get bolts undone again if you do :thumbup:

Here is some footage here of the latest SA miniriders day! Was a good day! Next one will be at Morgan on some private property!!

[video=youtube;GZFNtiIgi80]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZFNtiIgi80[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
id replace your chain with a decent on, but that would be covered in the threads above, same as every miniriders essential LOCTITE :). welcome to the family and prepare to be bitten by the bug ;)

Cheers guys, most helpful already. Sons bike was picked up today, put most of it together (not the plastics) and seeing as there was oil in.....I put in a bit of petrol.....half a dozen kicks and away we go. Sounds great!!
One thing I have an issue with on both bikes are the rear break pedal. Fixed it on ok, but there is a spring and I cant work out where it goes. Where on the pedal does it sit?? The spring and washer were already on the hub that the pedal fits on to.

Cheers guys, most helpful already. Sons bike was picked up today, put most of it together (not the plastics) and seeing as there was oil in.....I put in a bit of petrol.....half a dozen kicks and away we go. Sounds great!!
One thing I have an issue with on both bikes are the rear break pedal. Fixed it on ok, but there is a spring and I cant work out where it goes. Where on the pedal does it sit?? The spring and washer were already on the hub that the pedal fits on to.

Did you get it from a shop or in the mail? You really want to dump that factory oil!!! Its not going to do your motor any good at all!!!

Also guys.....when you say LOCTITE, I assume you mean superglue?? (Im a Pom!!)
Which nuts / bolts?? All of em??

come on Halford's sell Loctite in UK, i bought some when i was there 10 years ago.

Family_loctiteweb_02_148925_72dpi_605W_rdax_95.jpg

abrolok-threadlok-2289-p.jpg

images

Supercheap sell this too
per_24206.jpg

cheap, yeah i can do cheap
local $2 shop has it for guess how much ? ........ $2, and it's a Top brand too !

ha ha......very good fellas! yes we did have Loctite in the UK but the only product I recall was Superglue.
Ok.......so a visit to the Cheapo shop in the morning, few packs of threadlocker.
Which nuts......any and all???

loctite the front of swingarm bolt/nut, rear axle adjusters, engine mounting bolts/nuts,
and the rear shock nuts/bolts are probably your most important ones.
buy and fit a new NGK C7HSA spark plug, and get some good filter oil for the air filter, and a fuel filter for it too.
flush the tank too if you get a chance, they sometimes have plastic bits in them that can cause dramas flooding the carby
i think all that above is covered in the thread links in the previous posts too.

All loctited, tank flushed, spark plug bought! Only one issue, takes a few kicks to start, then cuts out unless I rev the **** out of it. Then takes ages to start again. Also when I ride it splutters a bit too. Seems to my untrained ear that the engine is 'pinking' a bit. Would that be the idle and the fuel / air screws needing adjusting???
By the way, sons bike runs like a dream.

i would check and adjust the valve clearances in both bikes, just so you know they are good to go.
the china factorys all vary on how much clearance the give them, if any at all.
this video will give you a good idea how to do it, it is pretty easy.

[video=youtube;QJciyJRJh8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJciyJRJh8Q[/video]

what carby is on it ?

once you have them done you will need to adjust the mixtures.
warm the bike for a couple of minutes,
turn the middle idle speed screw in to raise the idle speed up to around 1800 rpm.
now adjust the mixture screw in or out a 1/4 turn at a time, let it settle for 10 seconds or so, listening for the revs to rise.
you want it set where the idle is at it's highest/smoothest point
you can fine tune it by turning it 1/8 turn at a time then to get it nice.
then once you are happy, drop the idle speed back down to normal, around 1000-1200 rpm

take the bike out for a ride and see how it goes.

if you notice anything at a certain throttle position, take note and let us know.
eg what it's doing and at what throttle position.
then we can advise you on what to try.

also a loose exhaust at the head can make it splutter a little too, so check the 2x nuts are firm.

That's great.....really appreciate it, and I think I know how to do it!!
Will not get chance till the (long) weekend but will get on to it.
According to the website, the carby is a 26mm MOLKTCarburetor

Latest posts

Back