New bike and need a lot of help :)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwagOnWheels

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been given one of my friends old bikes. which is in pieces and is missing a lot of them. ive got a rough idea of the parts needed and have bought them on ebay, some are decent quallity things like pro taper bars, and others ... Not so special such as a $3.00 airfilter lol. Ive given a few thigs here and there a new coat of paint while everything is already apart, such as forks, frame, swing arm etc.
But the issue ive come across is im not entirely sure if the engine even runs! :S it is a lifan 125. Is there a way to check if the engine runs? i dont want to assemble it all again just to find out i need to pull it apart to swap the motor. The engine it self is whole :)
Any help would be very much appreciated :)

This is what i started with :)
IMG_00211.jpg

This is where im at, at the moment.
IMG_00341.jpg

thanks, Cary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah thought that much. ahwell just gotta hope for the best i guess! are they very hard to pull the heads off?

taking the head off is a matter of bolts, but when its replaced u need new gasket and correct torque setting for the bolts when theyre put back in with a torque wrench

Yeah thats not too much of a problem, :) i just hope when i put it together if it runs it doesnt blow a bunch of smoke or anything :S.
Is it easier to assemble everything and then bolt in the engine mount bolts? or put the motor in and then everything else?

also if anyone could tell me where to get some engine mount bolts from? be much appreciated :)
and will i need extended forks if i want to put 17" wheel on the front?

Get the engine mount bolts from a local bolt shop, then you can get high tensile socket head cap screws which are much better than the original china junk. Should be m8's as for the length, just measure :D

& you'll need at least 730mm forks for a 17" wheel, but the you will nee them stiff because they are very likely to bottom out on the engine / bash plate.

yeah alrieady measured them :) try and get some tomorrow! and get this bad boy in its hole haha.

and yeah i thought i might have to. how much would a set of forks like that cost me?

Depends what brand you are after they range a lot in price for the quality you want

just bolt the engine in now with what it needs to run and sit it on a milk crate or something..

kick it and see how it is....

crf50 big wheel is gayer than aids... the rear guard wont even cover 50% of the tire lol and yeah the front wheel will def hit the engine.. doesnt even look like an extended frame...

730mm forks dont really sit well on a crf50 chassis either... throws the geometry right out...

yeah decided not to big wheel it. Bolted the engine in, wired it up almost all done, and realised needed new stator plate cause old one was cracked.
also found out the engine hits the front wheel with only a 14"!!! any ideas how to fix that?

Its a 12 front rear 10 setup id say or 12 / 12 ??

LOL @ Sean : crf50 big wheel is gayer than aids...

yeah ended up cutting the bracket for the frame and drilled a new hole a bit higher. Tilted the engine away from the wheel and raised it a little :)
may have been designed for 12/10 set up. but made a 14/14 set up work :) lol. sits about 20 - 30 mm higher.

Latest posts

Back