New carb fitted, just backfires

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColonelCustard

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new here and have no experience whatsoever with the mechanical side of things. I have a 140cc Atomik bike and after a ride the carb started pissing fuel from one of the hoses. Cutting a long story short I pulled the carb apart several times and only made things worse (although learnt plenty about carbs).

So I bought a new Mikuni 26mm carb and have just fitted it and now it barely leaks any fuel however when I go to kick it all I am getting is a backfire and no signs of turning over at all. I'm sure there is more I need to do than just fitting the carb so are there any suggestions please?

I have also fitted a new spark plug.
Thanks

Welcome to Minirider's

No sign's of it firing i'm guessing you mean ?
Barley leak's any fuel ? It shouldn't leak any fuel
Where is it coming from, the drain at the bottom of the carby ?
If so i think you might have dirt stuck in the needle and seat which is causing it to flood. (sound's like same issue with your old carby too)
You might need to take the tank off the bike and give it a decent flush out, if there is dirt etc in it it will cause problem's

Are you trying to start the bike with the choke on? still won't start ?

Thoise china Mikuni copy carb's really need a bigger pilot jet in to make the bike start easier.
They come with a #15 pilot jet but respond real well to a #20
You have a decent oiled foam filter on the carby i'm guessing?

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah no signs of it firing. Only as I kick it a couple of drops of fuel are coming out of the bottom hose. Ok I'll take the tank off and clean it out thanks for the suggestion. I'll also look into getting a #20 pilot jet to see if that helps.

I don't have a foam filter on this carb, just using the metal mesh type one that came with the carby. Old carby had a foam filter but won't fit onto the Mikuni.

Get a UniFilter foam air filter $30 new, and some Castrol spray on filter oil from supercheap
The carby will most likely need to come off and take the float out and blow out the needle and seat with compressed air if you can
Check for dirt in the bottom of the fuel bowl, and run a fuel filter and new hose if you don't have one now.

Latest posts

Back