Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nori-roll

Reaction score
Hi gents, first off awesome forum. I've learnt a lot and I've managed to set up my dpro 160 from reading all the info on here and for that, thank you.

I've had my dpro for about a week now and it's been running perfect up until yesterday. Had some mates over with varying levels of riding ability and long story short 2nd gear is gone. Bike goes into 1st fine but once I try to engage 2nd it just revs out with no power going to the wheel. 3rd and 4th are also running fine.

Is that a stripped gear? And would that just be a matter of changing the gear box?

Would I need any specialized tools and can I do this with your normal garage tools, patience and a lot of research.

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

it could be a case of the selector not selecting 2nd.. Usually if you have busted teeth off a gear or dogs it will feel jittery as hell and stop turning till you roll it backwards and whatnot...
You will need a flywheel puller and a clutch nut tool (most likley) some time prolly $50 bucks and thats it.
I assume its a busted gear from the dogs.

was the bike brand new ? it might be under warranty ?

it could be the shift drum bolts are loose ?
there is one above the front sprocket, take the rubber bung out to see the bolt
the other screw that holds it together is behind the top left of the clutch basket

Hi zwebx, thanks for the reply.
Just found out that when it first happened, that it was clunking and giving bursts of power to the wheel and that it was sounding pretty rough in 2nd. By the time I gave it a go it was just as I described above. Does that still sound like a selector problem? And would need any spare parts?

Thank you.

Hi my67xr,

Yep the bike is brand new. I'll diffinely check the bolts when I get the chance and post the results. Hopefully its just a small fit.

Thank you for your help

clunking is a sign of the dogs broken on the gears, it'll need a new gearbox and gaskets
the engine needs to be taken apart, head and cylinder off, cases split etc etc

ring DHZ and let them know, they might send you a new engine ?

Hmm, that sounds like a complicated fix, not what I was hoping for. I'll give dhz a call tomorrow, hows their warranty? Have you ever heard of them sending a replacement motor?

Hmm, that sounds like a complicated fix, not what I was hoping for. I'll give dhz a call tomorrow, hows their warranty? Have you ever heard of them sending a replacement motor?
i doubt it... askthough. how tight was your chain?

Yeah, not holding my breath on a replacement engine. I've contacted dhz so now just waiting to hear back.

Although I'm sure the chain wasn't under prefect tension I did follow thump*140 'achtung noobs' thread to the letter. The chain was a brand new DID that I cut to 104 links and had about 35-40mm of free play.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but last time I checked Dhz didn't do any warranties on their bikes.
Also ring them up mate, getting a return email from them is unlikely.

If you have zero luck with them, you could always try Fair Trading.

Although they're pretty useless at the best of times and they wont offer any legal advice, but they will be able to inform you a little better on the laws on what "they" can and can't do.

Hey fellas, didn't forget about this thread just didn't want to post while the situation was being resolved.
Speaking of which, the day after my last post I called dhz and spoke with Casey. I explained the problem and was told to send it in at dhz's cost. A few days after the motor arrived at dhz I received a SMS from Casey telling me that he had replaced the gear box and would be sending it back the next day.
I received the motor back today with a free litre of motor oil and a new exhaust gasket. Spent a couple of hours installing the motor back on this arvo and its running great.
Although communication was a bit short I really cant fault dhz's customer service and response to the situation. All in all very happy with the outcome and will be purchasing from Dhz again. I will also be recommend Dhz to anyone looking at getting into pit bikes.

Latest posts

Back