New owner 1999 z50r... questions

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaiboxer04

Reaction score
Hello all. I decided to buy my 9 year old his first dirtbike. I found a 99 z50r ( i'm assuming it is a z50r but the owner thought it was an xr? ) for what I thought was a fair price. I'll be picking it up this evening and will hide it from my son until I get it fixed up and put a quick paint job on it.

It does run but stalls and will spill gas out of the carb if the fuel shutoff isnt immediately closed after running. Is there an actual "carb kit" for these? If not...do they make a knockoff cheap carb i can buy? What is the site with the cheapest prices for parts?

I also need front wheel bearings as they are beyond wasted... and some brake pads. Other than these items... it should just be a matter of bending back bent brake and shift levers and cosmetic stuff. I remember the 80's models when i was young were pretty bulletproof. Are these similar in dependability?

I also am wondering if there is a way to limit gear selection...or a governor of some type to limit speed? Any help is greatly appreciated...Thanks everyone!!

Welcome to Minirider's

Make sure you drop in to our Introduce Yourself thead and say hello while you're here.

The carby problem sound's like the needle and seat may have something stopping it from closing properly.
You could try pulling down the carby and giving it a thorough clean out.
Soak it in some Yamaha carby cleaner/dip then give it a decent blow out with compressed air.
Make sure the jet hole's are open too
While you are at it remove the tank and give that flush out, fuel tap too.

carbcleanerdip-500.jpg

You should be able to find a carby kit for it easy enough, ebay have them at good prices
Maybe try your local Honda dealer too
New Honda Carburetor Repair Kit Z50R Z 50R 1992 1999 | eBay

z50 carburetor kit | eBay
z50 carburetor | eBay

Your local bearing shop will have replacement bearings, they use 6201 2rs 9check gainst your's, it has the number on the rubber seal on the side).
buy some quality japanese made one's for longer life

Genuine brake shoes are cheap, around $10 a set
Honda CT70 Z50 CL70 SS50 CL50 SL70 S65 S90 CL90 SL90 CT90 CT110 Brake Shoe | eBay
Or go for some aftermarket grooved one's if want

There are a lot of decent aftermarket parts around for them now
http://tboltusa.com/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=z50&sort=2a&page=2

Cheers, Craig

Thanks Craig!! Great write up and exactly what I was looking for. I actually can't wait to pull the carb off and dive in! Hopefully these are all cheap fixes! :)

Well I picked it up tonight. Here are a few pics of the bike. Right away I noticed that one of the carb mounting screws is missing... so that air leak makes me surprised it even starts. On the pic with the front wheel hub...is that just bearings I need or does it look like there are other missing parts? The wheel just flops around now of course.

Attachments

• 20150612_204629.jpg
    20150612_204629.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20150612_204650.jpg
    20150612_204650.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20150612_204756.jpg
    20150612_204756.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20150612_205233.jpg
    20150612_205233.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
Carby to manifold bolt is an M6 x1mm pitch, 20mm long bolt, cheap at Walmart or a hardware store.

Look's like the bearing is missing?
Yeah need's at least a bearing (#6 in pic below), might need a new seal (#11 in pic below) too ?
Seal may have slid up onto the spacer ?

honda-z50r-1999-usa-front-wheel_bighu0333f0700a_4b65.gif

Craig....you rock!! Thanks mate! (saw you are in Australia LOL) I greatly appreciate the help and info. I'll try to get a closer look at the wheel hub tomorrow! :)

Yeah i saw you were in Pennsylvania or close to there so i found some links to part's close to you.
I'm from South Australia, so down the bottom of Oz in the middle, the beach is under 1km away from me at the end of my street basically.

Once that bike is cleaned up and put in good working order, it should be heaps o' fun for the kid. Craig is the man when it comes to finding info and diagrams, LOL. You can download some free PDF Honda Manuals from the Internet. I think I Googled "Honda Z50 Manual" and found a site called mybikemanuals.com, the site shows some cartoon dude with a beer belly laughing at his desktop computer... that site has good manuals for free, some of the diagrams really helped me out as I was working on my Z, the iPad nearby so I could occasionally check the diagrams. Got a little grease on the iPad, but no worries, it wiped right off, LOL.

I ordered parts from several Stateside outfits: T-Bolt USA, CHP Motorsports, Fast 50s, and NEVC (Northeast Vintage Cycles). Just throwin' that out there to save ya the heller overseas shipping costs, 10-4? Maybe some rich folks would consider the shipping rates to be reasonable, but what can I say? I'm a cheap b@stard, LOL, and I hate giving money away for no good reason. One observation: some parts are better made than others, and you may have to slightly modify parts to make them fit. In my ongoing Z50 edumacation, I've learned that locating good parts, getting them to the house and then getting them on the bike is a Zen exercise in patience.

Those hubs and wheels will look a lot better by simply cleaning them and painting them with the latest rattle can technology, LOL. I did the same with my bike, even after I ordered new split rims, but then again, I wanted them to be black. Believe me, nobody is going to notice that ya rattle-canned certain parts when the bike is in the field. I actually cleaned and painted the frame, tank, upper forks, swing arm, etc., on my bike, just masking nearby components to prevent overspray. Minor PITA, well worth it once you're done. Even with the rattle can action, I've had nothing but compliments on my bike from folks I've met in the field. One dude riding by with his kid complimented me as I was loading the bike into the back seat of the Camry, LOL.

"THAT'S A COOL BIKE!!!" :thumbup:

Edit: Forgot to mention that I found some useful parts at our one and only real cycle salvage yard here in Dago... place has a warehouse full of stripped parts, and a yard full of bikes and even more parts. I don't know whether you have any cycle salvage yards nearby, but it might be worth a look if you do. Moi, I'm the kinda guy that likes rummaging around in such places, I see all kinds of stuff there that still has life in it, and the costs are dirt cheap. Many of the smaller bits & pieces are already stripped from the bikes, so you only have to search bins with the kind of parts you're trying to find. I always visit the yard too on general principles, same way I cruise through junkyards just to look at the wrecks... if they could talk, some of those bikes, cars & trucks could tell some real stories, LOL. Oh, yeah, I also found some useful hardware at one of those industrial surplus stores, the place had all sorts of cool fasteners and whatnot.

Edit #2: Oops, that site was mybikemanuals.com, had to change that line.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!! Well I picked a screw up then found that the intake was cracked and someone JB welded it but cracked again. I found an aftermarket one for $12 on ebay but don't know if i can trust it to fit. It says it fits all z50 and 50cc bikes but it's 24mm and I saw some other sites say 19mm etc. Does anyone have experience with buying an aftermarket intake? Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20150619_231425.jpg
    20150619_231425.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
I see your plastic spacer/insulator in between the carby and manifold is cracked too.

If you take the manifold off the head, check what size the hole is into the head,
if it's a 19mm then go for a 19mm manifold, if it's 22mm then go for a 22mm manifold

This set up look's like your's, and come's with a manifold spacer/insulator, gasket's, bolt's and a carby for $32
Dirt Pit Bike Carburetor Intake Part PZ19 taotao Sunl Baja Roketa 50cc 70cc 19mm | eBay
Dirt Pit Bike Carburetor Intake for PZ19 taotao Sunl Baja Roketa 90cc 110cc 19mm | eBay

Amazon.com: 19mm INTAKE GASKET SPACER PIT BIKE POCKET BIKE ATV QUAD CHINESE X15 X18 PZ19 NEW: Automotive
http://www.amazon.com/Intake-Gasket...1434873971&sr=8-26&keywords=pit+bike+manifold

Latest posts

Back