New to the motard scene, would love advice

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam93

VIC MR Ride Day Organiser
Reaction score
As some of you people may have scene I had a thread in "mini chat" Thought I should make a new one in here clean it up a bit and if a mod could please delete my old thread?

I'm looking at getting into motard just exploring my options at the moment with how I am going to go about it. Would love everyones imput and thanks to the people that already have :)

So far I'm thinking about getting some DHZ front and rear motard rims with some cheap shitty tyres just to get into the sport and run them on my current build that will be finish tomorrow to early next week. Just to get a taste for motard.

Build? Thinking ill buy a nitrous and steal most parts
-Fusion frame:
http://www.miniriders.com.au/mini-classifieds/26622-cnc-alloy-frame-120-a.html
-YX 160
-Molkt carb that it comes with (i think) mabey an oko probs stick to molkt if its okay.
-Nitrous forks (anodised USD's single adjustment)
-Nitrous rear shock (if its crap a fastace or DNM)
-RK or D.I.D chain 428#
-Dhz front rim 2.15
-Dhz rear rim 2.50
-Brakes front and back from nitrous
-Pro taper copy bars
-Soft grips
-Nitrous bi-fold levers
-Standard kick start
-Standard filter
-Titanium gear sifter
-Exhaust system havent picked one yet might do the duel but not sure if I think its worth the coin.
-Alloy quarter turn throttle
-Oil cooler
-NGK plug
-NGK coil and lead
-Swingarm - not sure yet what I will be doing once i get measurements of the frame (swingarm size) I'll be able to determine what is available.
-CDI racing type
-CRF50 plastics w/ sticker kit not sure yet...
-Standard fuel cap

If their is anything that is out of whack put your say in :)

Spoke to a old family friend today he races a honda 600 rr its a track bike pretty crazy. told him about motard said he will help me to get some tyres cheaper etc...hes knows a few boys that can get bridgeston's cheaper and aparntly they are the best racing tyre out...

He also said for starting out to go to a shop get fitted with gear to see what size jump on ebay and get an as new set of leathers for way cheaper not sure if ill do that might just suck up to dad to get me a new motard leather jacket.
He said dont cheat getting gear its just the thing you need to have, or else i'll most likly be in trouble...

Sorry for the long post just wanted to get it all out their in one hit instead of 1,000 000 posts :p

Thanks for everyones help already with what information they gave me...

Cheers
Sam

Hi sam
When you are starting out the bike build isn’t the most important thing especially if you haven’t ridden much on bitumen. Cheep tyres are fine for starting out, considering you might decide that tard isn’t really what you want to do. But I will say get the best leathers you can afford they are the only thing between you and the track when you come unstuck; we always wear full leathers and good boots, also only use road gloves as dirt gloves don’t hold up on bitumen. I’d suggest just getting out there with the current bike you have and sorting it out from there. I started with an atomic prox 140 and china tyres that was sooooo slow then once I had a better feel for tard and what was required to be fast I built my current bike (it’s not so slow lol). The main thing is to learn the ride style, it’s different to big motard and sport bike style it’s sort of its own style.
I’d also suggest going out to the track an just watch and talk to people to gain more info specific to your local track.

Tina

Thanks Saber...
Yeah I have been trying to get out to the Dandenong track but was unsuccessful this week, I will try again for next week :) And yeah I'll definatly looking into leathers how much do you think i should be paying? for a simple leathers? just for starting off? and i am doing up my current bike to a point i am putting the motard wheels etc on just to get a feel for it etc. But it would cost so much more to build that up. The nitrous is pretty much paying for a YX160 and getting everything else free with it works out a heck load cheaper...also how hard is it on your body? mine isnt the best atm how demanding is it? compared to mabey ruff bush will hillclimbs etc?

Thanks
Sam

Personally, I'd recommend any beginner buys the best tyres they can get... While you are slow (no offence, everyone is slow starting out) you won't eat them in a few sessions (like you might once you get much faster) and they are confidence inspiring! Getting out for your first session and falling flat on your face due to crap tyres might mean you simply quit the sport rather than getting into it :)

Definitely agree on minimum mods initially and build the rest of the bike/engine up as you progress.

Remember, when it comes to bitumen - ATGATT - All The Gear, All The Time!

Good luck with the build, hopefully I'll be building something similar myself soon and I'll see you at the track! (I'm gonna dive right in to a decent (not hardcore) build as I've been riding since 7 (25 now) and ride on road every day... I also previously owned a fullsize motard :)

yer get best tyres ya can afford , they what hold to the track haha
Oh and if ya need a leather jacket i got nice R-Jays jacket with armour i dont use anymore :)

Like Tina said, gear is one of the most important things..

I have jeans and a kevlar jacket and will probably soon get dragon pants or something

with gloves I highly recommend these RJays Bandit Glove

RJay bandits are what I run.. They are strong comforable, and only 45 bucks from my local yamaha store, they give you knuckle protection and are lever so if you put your hands out when you fall it won't graze your hands which = OUCH..

When you come over to Dandy next week, go see Danny who runs the night, he has a business and he imports all the gear and has everything you need at what I would say 'the best price possible'.
I picked up my 1 piece leather suit for $450. I still ride in my mx boots, but will be getting road boots soon.
All the gear he sells is from these guys.Magic Bike - Home

The price of leathers can vary I have seen some real bargains on ebay, I personally prefer 2 piece leathers so it’s easier to kick the jacket off in-between heats but make sure that any 2 piece has a zipper to connect top to pants. Keep an eye on ebay for some cheep leathers.
I find tard physically demanding enough but I am capable of keeping my pace for a days racing and I’m an old fart with 30 odd years track and road riding experience so you should be fine.

There an Aus group in Sydney that make leather race suits (two and one piece), they offer suits from ~$500. I'll try to remember when I'm at home and post a link :)

Support Australian made ;)

I'd highly recommend not getting dragon jeans they just don’t offer the same protection that leathers do, we have killed two sets of leather pants in the last two years and in both falls we would have sustained more damage if we were in jeans. The other thing is that strap on knee guards tend to move and not stay where you want them during a fall.

I'd highly recommend not getting dragon jeans they just don’t offer the same protection that leathers do, we have killed two sets of leather pants in the last two years and in both falls we would have sustained more damage if we were in jeans. The other thing is that strap on knee guards tend to move and not stay where you want them during a fall.

I wear jeans because I don't like leathers..

Starting on less grippy tyres can be an asset for a beginner super sticky tyres will mean higher corner speeds when you find the limit of grip, this in turn is likely to reduce the time you have to react in the correct way, this will increase the possibility of the dreaded high side ( if you have never done this on bitumen you really don’t want to). A less grippy tyre will let someone who is not experienced on the bitumen to develop the correct responses to a corner entry that’s a little to hot or a little to much lean angle with reduced potential for a serious off.

I wear leathers because I have been down the road enough times to know I like my skin where it is. I'd much rather wearout someone elses skin than mine.

Woops i responded to one of the first comments when i refreshed ages ago didnt expect all these great replies! Thank all you guys a lot i wouldnt even be tempted to try without this info really good guys keep up the good info.

mini mullisha - How much would you be looking at for them mate? and also how big are they etc? how big are you?

Yeah i will be on my 125 build to start with motard wheels and slicks, i do also agree it would be better in a way because if i can get going alright on those tyres and then when i get stickier ones ill be better etc. also i want to get into the sport now i would rather go that little bit slower and be able to start a lot sooner :) just to get a feel etc then when im a bit better and not so much of a noob ill get the new build happening...paying for the fusion frame next week hopefully :)

See yah's down the track :)

Last edited:
the jacket is size 42 (small) and im bout 165cms, and 150$ ?found a pic of it
2005_0211ebayitems0001Medium.jpg

There an Aus group in Sydney that make leather race suits (two and one piece), they offer suits from ~$500. I'll try to remember when I'm at home and post a link :)

Support Australian made ;)

I dont really have hundreds to spend on leathers yet, Think Dad's taking me to melbourne markets last time i went had leather jackets with protective shit inside for motorcyling looks pre sick. and wasnt to badly priced from what i can remember...check them out first and then use jeans etc

Sorry mini mullisha, im just over 6 foot. Wish i was shorter hate being so tall...

Buy the set TyD posted!

Sooooo cheap! If you don't I might ;-)

I'll let you have first shot though, I've already got a decent range of gear :p

Latest posts

Back