Newby! and New Purchase today.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alwayscurious

Reaction score
Hi all - I am first time on this forum!

Well, I bought myself what I THOUGHT was an 80cc dirt bike (not going) for my 7 year old son.

Turns out it's a 125cc Ducar! Well well well! I might get to ride it too!.
:scooter:

Should look like this:
DDucar125.jpg

But looked very different indeed!

The stats: went and had a look. Had some compression. No spark. Spark plug still in cylinder. Dodgy seat arrangement at the back.
Asking 120. Thought it was an 80cc.
My son fell in love, so I got it for $70.
26122010317.JPG

Had an interesting rear seat arrangement - methinks it's an amateur welder has had a bash at making a second seat. Was held on with sticking plasters!

26122010318.JPG

No rear plastic - would like to buy new.
No Muffler Side plastic - would like to buy new.
No chain guard - Can bodge one up out of tin or buy new.
Cracked corner of the case covering the magneto (can fix with solastic).

Someone had done a crappy paint job on it, and it's not running.

So my son was SUPER excited - and we hauled it home in the trailer. First things first - stuck it up on wheel stands and started stripping it back.

My son's job to wash down all the bits in parts wash (dirty kero). We got rid of the dodgy paint at the same time - back to (slightly scratched & dented) black!

Next steps - figure out the electrics (removed almost all of them) and get spark going.

A couple of questions for the pros:

1) where to get plastics for these (and what other bikes would fit?) I see lots on ebay for Honda type bikes but not Ducar. What should I look for that's compatible?

2) Any typical faults I should look for?

3) why the heck was there an electric start? :) AND kickstart? overkill??

4) where to get engine parts for these. and what's compatible?

5) Manual? I found (by searching this site) one for a Lifan 125. Is it the same?

Thanks all - enjoying this so far.

Son's asking - when will it be ready? I'm talking to him about maintenance and patience.

Cheers,
Alwayscurious

1) where to get plastics for these (and what other bikes would fit?) I see lots on ebay for Honda type bikes but not Ducar. What should I look for that's compatible?

CRF50 style should fit fine. Ebay will be cheapest place for them.

2) Any typical faults I should look for?

It's a china bike, they have heaps but thats the fun of them! Replace all bolts and loctite.

3) why the heck was there an electric start? AND kickstart? overkill??

Lots of bikes are like this! My old yamaha ttr230 only had an ele start... many mornings did I beg for a kick start when the battery was flat and me being a 40kg girl was expected to push start the prick!

4) where to get engine parts for these. and what's compatible?

Ebay once again is your best bet or even look in the for sale threads on here!

5) Manual? I found (by searching this site) one for a Lifan 125. Is it the same?

Very similar but not the same. There isn' really manuals just look thru the tech threads on this site and I'm sure you'll get more then enough help!

Good luck! You got a bit of work on your hands! But I'm sure you will have it going in no time! Just use the search function and I reckon you'll find all the answer you need!

Oh some good threads :
http://www.miniriders.com.au/mini-t...ke-repair-maintenance-upgrade-video-list.html I like watching videos as I find it easier then just pictures!

http://www.miniriders.com.au/mini-tutorials-how-s/24595-tear-down-bike-parts-completly.html

Last edited:
thanks!

Thanks Champ. I will go and look for plastics a bit later on.

Step number one! Get engine up and running. :) Will drop oils out of it (fork & engine) and let it drain in the shed over the next few days whilst we are away.

Fun! I've just done up a 30 year old KZ440 Twin Kawasaki and got it on the road. So I'm getting pretty proficient at this kind of thing.

Appreciate the help Rach!

Look forward to giving it a thrashing (and so does my young apprentice)!

Welcome to MR mate! These forums and its members have a wealth of knowledge which should answer most of your current and future questions.

As Rach stated, eBay will be your best friend while you and your son are rebuilding it.

Get a few more pics up, cant wait to see the final outcome.

Welcome!

Hahah!

Hahah!

watching my bank account dwindle more like!

Ta Minifighter.

Still - I had budgeted $130 for it. I Spent $90 on the bike and some brake oil (for my bike and his). I just spent $30 on plastics.

So I've got another $10 to spend on spark plugs until next pay. Plus, he's said he'll put some of his saved up cash towards it.

Might be a long project!

Cheers all - I'm off to bed before I bankrupt myself. (Pfft. Big spender you all say!!)

Dumb question I couldn't see a chain guard on this thing. I'm used to road bikes and my old Kwaka F11 which had a chain guard bolted to the swing arm that protected the riders left leg from the chain.

Do they have them? i've looked at the photos - most don't!

Dumb question I couldn't see a chain guard on this thing. I'm used to road bikes and my old Kwaka F11 which had a chain guard bolted to the swing arm that protected the riders left leg from the chain.

Do they have them? i've looked at the photos - most don't!

Yep, most dont..

were re you from in brizzy mate i ahve a huge box of parts and dont realy need some of them , pm me if you ned anything and i will see if i have it . welcome to mini riders mate

cheers Troy

top job on the purchase mate, im sure it will bring yourself and the young fella some joy...

i see your in brisbane, be sure to check out some of the local pit bike shops as theres nothing worse than waiting for items to arrive from overseas ebay stores... always easier to be able to view before you buy.
theres a few places in brisbane which id say they probly wouldnt be far from you.
also be sure to check out DHZ, whilst they are a site sponsor on here they also have excellent service and most their prices are pretty good..
also they like to help out miniriders members so be sure to let them know..

as an example plastic kits usually always retail for around $35, tho you've managed to save a few $$, again the pain in waiting can cost more lol...

anyways you'll work it out...

Wow - Generous offer there FMX_22 I'm northside Brisbane. Up Boondall way. I'll give you a bell. I think I might need some aluminum casting on the left hand side (Sprocket cover??).

Also probably need some bolts and stuff to make this go. :)

sean01 - I know what you mean about waiting for parts to arrive. :) Ah well.

Where's the local pit bike shops on the north side of brizzy mate?

I'll need some gasket kits and some oil filters as well.

I'm away now so it's quietly draining out the black tar like substance (I think it used to be oil) out of the crank case. I'll put an engine wash through it once it's going and dump it out again.

Dumb question #21:

What type of oil do these little blighters take?

Cheerio.
A/c

Wow - Generous offer there FMX_22 I'm northside Brisbane. Up Boondall way. I'll give you a bell. I think I might need some aluminum casting on the left hand side (Sprocket cover??).

Also probably need some bolts and stuff to make this go. :)

sean01 - I know what you mean about waiting for parts to arrive. :) Ah well.

Where's the local pit bike shops on the north side of brizzy mate?

I'll need some gasket kits and some oil filters as well.

I'm away now so it's quietly draining out the black tar like substance (I think it used to be oil) out of the crank case. I'll put an engine wash through it once it's going and dump it out again.

Dumb question #21:

What type of oil do these little blighters take?

Cheerio.
A/c

northside there is Xmoto's in caboolture and SWD at lawnton.
southside is motorevo (yamato i think), motorbike city in slacks creek and i think 3 sons or what ever there called are in capalaba, theres more places than that but thats all that comes to mind right now...

yer thats the way mate , ill havea look im prety sure i have the cover y are after ill get a pic of it tmorro

125cc should be around 800-850ml

just be careful if you going to go by the dip stick tho... most of these cheaper bikes have the engine laying forward a little which ends up having way more oil than they need in them.. then they start pushing oil out the breather tube..

a properly installed engine or setup bike will have the gearbox dead flat with the head and barrel going slightly up..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back