News From London Ont. (1 hour drive from me)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koda

Reaction score
www.toyzrme.com said:
LONDON --They're cute, small and deceptively dangerous. They're pocket bikes, trendy miniature motorcycles that one manufacturer calls "virtual ground-based missiles."

They may also be coming -- fast -- to a street, sidewalk or bike path near you.
The driver could be a child, wearing no helmet and traveling as fast as 90 kilometres an hour.
There are no rules governing use of the pocket bikes except one, said London police Sgt. Tom O'Brien -- they're not legally allowed anywhere but on private property.
But he knows first-hand that's not always heeded. He recently saw a rider on his street in west London.
"I went and spoke with the guy and he said, 'I just bought it,' and I said, 'Well, you can't use it here.' It's just unsafe on the streets."
About knee-high, the mini-motorcycles weigh up to 28 kilograms with an engine of 43 to 49 cubic centimeters and range in price from $500 to $3,200.

Dave from www.toyzrme.com, of London was so impressed with the fad he started a business in 2003. He now has a network of 40 dealers across the country.
"There's been at least 30,000 sold in Canada," he said, adding most have been sold this year. "We have distributed over 2000 units this summer."
The allure of the pint-sized motorcycles is the same as for regular motorcycles, said Chris Rutledge, owner of City Wide Surplus in London. "People who love bikes, they get an itch and every spring, they get that itch," he said. "I've already heard of people getting together in clubs and racing in parking lots."

But O'Brien said the mini-machines are a danger on public property. "The fact of the matter is that they're just too small. When a truck is waiting at a light, he can't see you. It's a danger on the roadways. It's a danger to other motorists and to the people who ride them." Several local retailers said they warn customers the bikes can be used only on private property. "It's for off-road use only. By law, you can't use these anywhere," said Chuck Collins at Hully Gully the Ultimate Toy Store in London. "This is for someone that wants to get into racing." "That's the hope, but that's not the case," O'Brien said. These things are becoming so popular that something needs to be done. People need to be aware that it's not a play-toy. Just because it looks small and cute, doesn't mean you can't get hurt on them.

People who flout the rules are bad for the sport. If these guys would stay off the roads, we'd be all fine. In a controlled environment, pocket-bike racing could even become a family event. There are successful racing circuits in Europe and the U.S., and that's what he is trying to establish.

- My opinion is that if they think its so damn dangerous they should build us a track where i live >:E

agreed, maybe you should talk to the local council about it, they might be able to do something

oh and reason its in dirt bike forums is cause i found it on a dirt bike site...

and i dont think concil would do anything.. in the city where i live (oakville) the police dont even care about us riding them lol. my friend was riding around the school running track and the cop told him not to ride there.. thats all he said so its ok..

Latest posts

Back