Ngk lead/Takegawa coil?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntNZ

Reaction score
I have got a new ngk racing cable and takegawa hyper ignition coil and wondering how I join the ngk cable to the takegawa coil?
The takegawa coil comes with a short portion of cable with no plug cap but is a sealed unit where the lead goes into the coil.

Help please???

Thanks

Hey mate.

Not sure on the Taki coils but the ones i have encountered are a screw basically so try unscrewing the lead off the Taki coil. It shouldnt take much effort so dont go wrenching on it haha.
Or you could unscrew the cap from the Ngk lead and put it on the Taki lead

Cheers

I had to shave the lead down to fit it in the taki coil, but i was using the splitfire lead which may be wider. Basically do what snaptrax said and you should be good.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

I had to shave the lead down to fit it in the taki coil, but i was using the splitfire lead which may be wider. Basically do what snaptrax said and you should be good.

What do you mean"shave down the lead"?

The coil lead is definitely a sealed unit and will not anscrew!!., the ngk cap is sealed and will not unscrew either!

I don't have the original diagram of the plug cap but looked something like this......
006.JPG
007.JPG

I did the same thing Stu used a taki coil and a Splitfire lead.

Youll need to unscrew the old lead off of the coil mate.

O.k, so i managed to unscrew the ngk cap and screw it onto the taki lead. Thanks guy's.

I presume the taki lead will be every bit as good as the ngk lead??

Finally got round to installing m taki hyper coil but.....how do I wire it up properly as the original coil only has 1 terminal. Which terminal on the taki coil is earth and which one is power, it has a green and a black terminal.
Cheers
005.JPG

Pretty sure its the other way round cordogs, the green is usually earth. My hyper is wired up with the green as earth and the black with white stripe to the bblack spade conection as power...

cheers, but how do i connect the 2 wires from cdi to coil, the taki coil has has 2 terminals and the original only has 1 and a earth on the mounting point????
005.JPG

Have you tried running it with the blue on the black terminal, ground/black to the earth point? I hink i remember someone else on here running a knock off coil like that and it working... if not you could splice another wire onto the black one, or theoretically you could run a wire from the green terminal to the same earth point the black wire is going to..
I can pull a 160ho loom apart tomorrow night and take some pics of how i would do it if need be.. bear in mind im no bike mechanic, i just know what has worked for me lol

Have you tried running it with the blue on the black terminal, ground/black to the earth point? I hink i remember someone else on here running a knock off coil like that and it working... if not you could splice another wire onto the black one, or theoretically you could run a wire from the green terminal to the same earth point the black wire is going to..
I can pull a 160ho loom apart tomorrow night and take some pics of how i would do it if need be.. bear in mind im no bike mechanic, i just know what has worked for me lol

Are you saying you think this new Taki coil is a Knock off???

Nah mate not at all, i have the same coil on callums 190, its genuine taki. Just saying that i remember someone else having a similar issue but with a knock off version lol

Nah mate not at all, i have the same coil on callums 190, its genuine taki. Just saying that i remember someone else having a similar issue but with a knock off version lol

phew!!, I got it from Jamie at classic honda 50's so should be the real deal.
Can I do damage to the coil/cdi if I get the power wire and earth round the wrong way??

Im not sure about damage if wired incorrectly, but i can say i have never blown one lol. I will pull callums bike out this arvo and snap some pics..

Ah ok... Yeah mate your probably right, you'd know more about it than me.

My reasoning was that all the power leads in my ct110 were green so I assumed they copied Honda.

Apologies AntNz, try the other way mate! Lol :hidesbehindsofa:

Ah ok... Yeah mate your probably right, you'd know more about it than me.

My reasoning was that all the power leads in my ct110 were green so I assumed they copied Honda.

Apologies AntNz, try the other way mate! Lol :hidesbehindsofa:

No worries cordogs. I ended up running a 3rd wire from the earthing point to the earth terminal which I saw somewhere should work but I still can't get any spark!
spose i'll just wait till stu gets some pics....

I have green to green on coil, green to earth point and black and yellow as power to the black terminal on coil. Excuse the crap photo sorry
ab92f639f7ff5f0efe2a4291d024c749.jpg

8fd459f5c6dc10bc55ba3c755b05d358.jpg

Latest posts

Back