OA Bath (Oxalic Acid) Clean Up Chrome Easily

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v3ryhappy

Reaction score
hi guys
here is my first OA bath results

a trip to bunnings to pick up some Diggers Rust and Stain Cleaner ($27.50)
mix into normal tap water until is stops dissolving
insert rusted item
let sit for 24 hours
give a light scrub to remove surface rust
then wash with normal water and normal soap (bathroom cleaner, removes everything)
then rinse thoroughly and dry
shazam, nice and clean

30d2cae8.jpg

b6f3791b.jpg

bf727ce9.jpg

6a986ce3.jpg

7e9c6dad.jpg

c740c285.jpg

2cd2273c.jpg

0b27b147.jpg

cef5a1f4.jpg

82c4b57e.jpg

356fb036.jpg

yep, OA is awesome. I dont know why more guys dont do it, its the first thing you do when you wanna clean up an oldschool chrome bmx. I usually buy wood bleach(its identical, just go for the one with the highest % of OA) as its a bit cheaper. Speaking of bmx's i gotta go pick up an 80's goose copy i bought on egay(it was only $30!)

When i do a bmx i spray the insides of any frame tubes with a rust inhibitor(wd40,fish oil,etc.) and then i give all the exterior a thorough polish with autosol or similar

would this be ok for tarnished fork legs???
and also can it also be used on alloy parts??

yes and yes. Its pretty harmless, wont hurt paint or decals but it does remove rust easily. Doesn't even kill my lawn when i tip it out afterwards

went to local bunnings last night but couldnt find it,
asked a few people and got sent to thre different sections,
gave up and came home, googled it and found it will be in the concrete aisle...

cheers for the help!!!

I used it to clean up some parts. now they are yellow spotted and some of the washers i put in started turning copper, and the bridge plate has blemishes on it. be careful with cheap items also put an alloy part in it went grey it took a bit of polishing to bring it back. i wouldn't put alloy in.

products like this as well as most truck wash is full of caustic soda. which means it will burn alloy and slowly remove any anodized coating..

also remember its not going to kill the rust that is breaking through the chrome work it will only remove the stains... wd40 all the parts afterwards and regularly in the future..

if you need some i have heaps left over from when i used it, got it from bunnings i think.

it does clean up chrome really well, if its pitted and rusted, it will remove the rust but leave a rough surface where the rust came through. Still looks better than before with the rust.

Latest posts

Back