odd problems with turning the engine over?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterGlasses

Reaction score
ok, so i'm a new user and this is my first post, so bare with me

i recently bought a whole bunch of pit bikes, one of them is running just fine, the other one is in pieces but appears to have a complete engine. the problem i'm having with it, is when i go to start it with the kickstart, it has absolutely no compression whatsoever, the piston is moving and its turning over, but no compression.

i took the side head cover off to see if it still had the timing chain and it did, upon turning it over again i found the camshaft was turning, compression problem solved, but why isn't the camshaft turning? so i took off the side cover, and turned the clutch manually, to my surprise the whole engine, including camshaft, turned over with compression.

TL;DR: kickstart turns engine over, but not camshaft or gearbox/clutch, clutch turns entire engine over, camshaft included

does anyone know where i would start? i have a spare engine but i have no idea if its worth swapping them out or not because i don't know what condition its in, it turns over and has compression and thats all i know

Latest posts

Back