Oil Blockage & Sludge

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynamicgs

Reaction score
OK, SO my YX160 all of a sudden stopped...

I can kick it over, and it starts for like 3 seconds every 20-30 kicks...

Has fuel going in, and spark is good. Checked valve clearances, compression is good and timing all seems to be right..

Noticed a fair bit of sludge when i opend the exhaust port valve cover.

So I took out the oil filter, and it was totally sludged up... like a mat of filth.. looked like a big bit of gasket almost...

Dropped the oil, and Started taking oil lines from cooler off, and tried to blow through... no go... seems to be a blockage, narrowed down to the bottom of the engine somewhere.

My oil changes are fairly regular, maybe I let this one slide a bit to 6 or 8 hours....

My question is, how do I clean it out? Should I take off Clutch cover? (dont know whats in there ha ha)

Should I fill the engine with some sort of engine flush /cleaner? Have heard of using diesel or Auto Transmission Fluid in cars?

Or should I just do two short interval changes?

Anyone else had this issue before?

u sure u havnt got a bit of water in their , i drowned my xy160 an boy did it sludge up , took 5 litres of oil an full engine strip to get it out . but it never stopped it from running .

the sludge is a combination of clutch dust and metal filings which shouldnt block oil passages

and shouldn't stop the engine from running

you also wont be able to notice air getting through your reservoirs because it takes a fairly tight path past the gudgen pins and through the block the oil passage is pretty small

again it wouldn't stop it from running

just because it's got spark doesn't mean it's consistent
it'd try and eliminate the running first then then if it gets real hot running then worry about the oil passages

cant be of much more help sorry

One of the oil lines from the cooler looked like it hadnt had oil in it for ages too.. looked dusty inside.., where the other one was dripping....
Thats why I think it may be blocked... and the massive wad of gunk that came out of the oil filter bowl...

Any opinions on an engine flush?

your cooler may be blocked then

as for the flush you can use diesel but make sure you have oil in it oil is will dry ya rings out dont start it
and block the case breather

i think thats how ya do it i haven't dont it in years
a case split works

Yeah, not the oil cooler, cause I can blow through it easily..
Was one of the pipes out of the bottom of the motor... One I could blow through, the other I couldnt...

Probably do the diesel thing... But whats a case split involve?

Its a block mate. It has happened to me before, I washed everything out with diesel and got all the gunk out of the engine and it ran perfect after that!

Thats sucks Dyna :( Now i'm thinkin i better check my lines, can you post a pic of what line you think it was please.

Just read you OG post again.... I r just being stupid :p don't worry bout the pic.

Last edited:
OK, just decided to clean out with some car oil I had lying around...

Didnt fix anything... still wouldnt start. Did note there was oil flowing through the cooler now though...

Cleaned out entire carb with compressed air... Better, got it running with a roll start, but running rough as..

New spark plug... Purring like a kitten and back to its old self...

My question now, I noticed a fair amount of fuel mist coming out the intake when I rev it...
Never really revved the bike without the filter, so dont know if this is normal or not...
Heres a vid to see what im on about....

[youtube]v0klgCGAlYA[/youtube]

Last edited:
all i can say is maybe check your timing and inlet valve mate it might be off and need adjusting it could be causeing the valve to not close and cause blow back not as much compression, also dont run it with out the air filter on to much it only takes a split second to scratch the piston and that can also cause blow back, hope you get it sorted out thou all the best hopefully some more knowledgeable bloke has an easy solution.

Cheers man... how do you even adjust the timing on these things? The valve clearances have just been done...
Anyone else know if this is normal? Anyone wanna go take their filter off and tell me what the go is?
Might be being paranoid about nothing.... ha ha

Mines off atm, but I won't get a chance too look till tommoro. Last time I checked though I couldn't even fire it up with it off...I shall let u know tommoro

Nah its okay if its doing that man. Did you take it for a ride to see how it went?

Hey all, just an update on this thread...
Turns out the "Not Starting" issue was a faulty spark plug.

The Engine sludge Is degraded rubber particles from the clutch basket...
Im going to look at doing the upgrade mentioned here rather than just getting a new clutch and have this happening all over again....

Just thought someone might run into this same issue down the track!

i would also clean out the carby with carby clean not just air.. also the back plate on the ignition could of come loose

oil isnt really going to stop your bike from running

Update to this thread...

If you notice fine rubber particles in your oil, filter etc... Is is likely to be perished clutch rubbers.

For the record too, I always use the castrol 4T bike oil as reccomended....

I think this had been happening since new.. mush have been a bad batch of rubber me thinks, as a mates atomiks bought at the similar time dont seem to have this issue...

Most China bikes will have rubber particles in the oil. Its just the dodgy Chinese rubbers breaking up bit by bit.

Mine was way worse than just a bit of rubber though...... the oil filter had a thick matt of chewed up rubber around it... could not beleve how much crap came out with the oil really...

Latest posts

Back