Oil Coolers

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEO DPRO 037

Reaction score
Hey guys need some experienced knowledge or advice.

Other than the shear bulk of it, can an oil cooler be too large?
Im looking at some 7-19 row alloy car oil coolers online selling for around $60. The biggest 19 row one is about 13 inches wide and 7 inches high and 2 inches deep.. I feel like its too wide for my dpro 160 but im also worried about running temp, and will the little motor be able to push around that much more oil? I do want it to warm up to some extent.. but at the same time I feel like the stock 6×3×1 oil cooler on my z160ho is maybe not enough..
what do u think? Cmon guys get on board

Cannot be too large in my opinion.
I do not care how cold my oil is much in a aircooled needle roller bearing engine.
However in my car i do worry quite a bit more because it is non roller bearing engine.

The cooler should be fine.. go larger if you want. but if your still not travveling fast enough it will do nothing.
Maybe a fan setup should be installed.

that other cooler you mentioned 13"x7"x2" you could use as an intercooler if you were to turbo it..

your cooler should be fine, the one on my 190 is the same size as yours.
but i will be using the bigger one that i have mounted on my Fuse
that one cost me $19 from U Pull It wreckers

something more like this would be the next step up from your current one
i reckon it's close to mine, maybe a bit shorter, but is the same bar/plate design-
OIL Cooler IS FIT FOR Dirt Bike | eBay

try and find something with more rigid fins,
the radiator style fin oil coolers can get damaged pretty easy from rocks and chunks of dirt etc

Last edited:
If I do get a new (super large) oil cooler, how do I work out how much extra oil ill need to run? Do i fill it with some cheaper liquid and measure how much it takes?
And again, what pushes/pumps the oil around? Will the bike become incapable at some point?

most of the oil drains back into the cases when the engine stops.
too big capacity oil cooler might cause problems with the piston/rod crank slapping the oil as it starts up.
there is an oil pump in the bottom front r/h case.

Last edited:
I just realized that some braaap bikes (yx engines) have an m8 thread where the cooler leaves the engine. Thats what ive been searching for this whole time. Maybe im just better off with the largest braaap oil cooler and lines. Do you have any contacts craig, didnt you get some cheap braaap gear??

i think the only oil coolers he had were like my gold alloy one on the Fuse
i will PM you his number though

Yes m8 at engine m10 at cooler I think. I was just rummaging through their workshop yesterday for some washers to suit mine.

That new Cooler looks alright, it will do a lot better job than your original one.

Have fun when you do an oil change too, cleaning out 3x oil filters ....

I couldnt avoid using the new one because 2 of the 3 hoses would of been too short otherwise. At least ill have super clean oil. I wouldnt mind a magnetic sump plug too.

Magnetic sump plug is a must. That ignition cover looks stupid, better give it to me.

That was a must for me..
The most necessary item i could think of after buying the bike.

Latest posts

Back