oil.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild.50

Reaction score
i just changed the oil in my bike before and the fresh oil that i put in was red.
lol jst thought this was strange since iv never seen red oil before? is this normal?

the oil was Penrite 4 stroke motoroil.

ok thanks.
since i have just changed the oil would it hurt to leave the synthetic oil in?

If it's a brand new engine it can hurt it because it doesn't allow the engine to run in properly or something like that.
Mineral based and a 10w40 oil is what they are designed to run on.

ok thanks.
well the engine has been run in a long time ago and it seems to be running fine with this oil in it so i might jst leave it in for a few more rides.
thanks for the help.

It shouldnt hurt it coz I have run honda full synthetic oil before with no problems. 10w40 oil may be what they are designed to run on in china but our Aussie conditions are different and especially in summer 20w50 is the way to go in my opinion.

Motorex oil is red , its the finest of the fine oils too. Penrite is aight , ask 50sbrotherhood1# , he ran penrite in his cases for a year. Bike still went fine.
People get too wound up about their oils my theory is:
Buy the best oil you can afford to throw out. Oil changes should be made more regularly than not , so dumping a 700ml's of oil you paid $25 for and haven't changed in a year isnt going to be as effective as replacing the oil every 3 or 4 rides or so.
I use Mobile oil , works sweet , cheap and never ever had a problem with it.

Exactly that unit, ive said it many times before the cheapest is the best as u can afford to change it more regular.

so going to a 20w50w is probably better than the 10w40w? i was a bit worried as the 10w40w is like water lol Im guessing the tolerances of china engines arent all that tight haha. currently i run motul(semi synth) 10w40w seems alright and i doa change every 3 rides(6hours approx)

should i change? or just stick with it?

You can try a change next time u buy oil and see what u think. Oil gets thinner as it gets hotter which is why i go the 20w50.

also i have a small crack in my gear box .. mustve stacked onto a rock or something i guess. when the bike is on a bit of air leakes from the crack.
what would be best to seal t with.. i was thinking either liquid nails or gasket goo ?

Dont use liquid nails! If ur going to go the quick fix option then u will need a high temp sillicon. Go to autobahn or supercheap and tell them what u need.
Im not too sure of the crack u are talkin about so u may need to post up some pics if u wanna fix it properly

mine did the same thing i just used this gasket maker stuff , it was red and stinky , but it works good :)

For cracks use that 'quick steel' stuff from super cheap, works a treat. As for oils ive been running Silkolene 10/40 full synth in my bike for nigh on 10 months with no probs.
BTW Bimrose oil is red, love to tell people that i use tranny fluid in the engine to make it go faster:p

I am not certain about all synthetic oils, but for sure the majority of oils are the natural light brown colour before they add a colouring to it. So get a colour which makes you feel good. Buy oil which makes your clutch and gear shifting feel good (assist a weakness in most china engines). Install a magnetic drain plug!

And as the other guys wrote: beware of thinner oils especially in summer with air cooled engines. "Buy oil you can afford to throw out" = great advice!

Try Shell Rimula-X diesel oil. $60 for 10L. In typical Aus temps it works great in every bike, car, ship, tractor, dozer and mower you can think of.

You can try a change next time u buy oil and see what u think. Oil gets thinner as it gets hotter which is why i go the 20w50.

yeh funny thing is just before i read this i was setting up a mates new bike( Full sized atomik) and the manuals lists ambient temps and which oil to use. like u said in teh hotter months the 20w50 is the way to go

Latest posts

Back