Outlaw 160R Preparation List

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJasonH

Reaction score
Ello there!

About to order a 160R and just getting ready for its arrival.
So far on the list I have:
  • Engine oil (no tranny oil?)
  • Dot4 brake oil
  • Loctite (and nail-polish if I run out)
  • Iridium spark plug
  • Grease and anti-seize
Apart from that, am I missing anything?

Might I mention a Uni filter is in that list too.
~ Jay.

Last edited:
I have a lot of 15w40 mineral oil leftover, so would that be okay to use up first?

I've been in and out of that thread, as well as the proper break-in guide. Just making sure I haven't missed anything my searching skills may have.

is your 15w40 oil for motorcycle's ?

yeah the Splitfire leads make a big difference to your spark, a lot better imo
take the spark plug out of the head and earth it against your head, then kick it over watching the spark.
then fit the lead and hear/see the difference

the coil would probably be better quality than the one that comes with your bike
the one in your link is for a Yamaha Cygnus, make sure you order the right one to suit the Honda 12v CDI systems

Sadly no. Castrol activ 4T for motorbikes here I come!

Would the ones I linked before work for the 12v system(I can't find anything crf7)?

the motorcycle specific oils have a lot of additives in them to help your transmission and clutch from wearing out prematurely.
i would use good stuff to run it in etc, do a couple of oil changes with that first.
then if you want to use up your spare oil it shouldn't be a problem, it will need to be changed a bit more regularly though.

xLOCOx has bought a Takegawa coil for his Ciniworx, part number is 05-02- 0016
http://www.miniriders.com/china-builds/40491-locos-ciniworx-cxf-build-2.html

Nickv1980, Phil67 and Brendo are running the NGK leads, they like them
imo, i think the Splitfire lead is better though
i have one, gottagetacheaperhobby and blender have them, and all noticed how much the spark improved with it

xLOCOx's coil seems to be the one for a Yamaha Cygnus, but I suppose it works correctly.
And Splitfire leads should just hook on?

Thank you for the help. The ignition coil and electrics are something I need to work on in terms of knowledge.

yeah the coil also works on a Yamaha 4 stroke too.
it is listed for Honda's as well- Hyper Ignition Coil (blue) For 12v Monkey, Gorilla, Ape,xr,crf Takegawa - 05020016 05-02-0016
there are a lot of different coils made, they need to suit the cdi to work properly or at all.
they have a lot of different Ohms readings in the Primary and Secondary windings of the coils.

yeah with the lead you mount your takegawa coil, then clip the splitfire lead onto your spark plug and run the lead back towards your ignition coil
then you trim the takegawa lead back enough, so that the splitfire adapter can screw into the taky coil lead.
otherwise it will be way too long.

Thank you so much for that info, you sure are a master spanner spinner.

I'm gonna order the appropriate ones and will hopefully get some build pics out when the bike arrives!

Has anyone seen the point to switch to high-tensile bolts, at least for critical areas?

I'd go high tensile for the swingarm's pivot bolt, both axles, engine mount bolts and shock bolts. They are the only bolts I've snapped that came standard.

Any good sites that you know of for such bolts (the sizes are a bit odd, so eBay is my first guess)?

Do you have a local bolt/hardware shop ? Take your bolts in and just ask for some 12.9 high tensile versions f them.

Hardware would just be about masters, but I'll check around too. Thanks for that!

Latest posts

Back