OWNER REVIEW: 2009 Pitster Pro LX 160

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutters

Reaction score
Rider review for:
2009 PITSTER PRO LX160

Rider Background:
Thought I might first give you an indication as to the the experience of the person actually writing this review!!

I have owned 3 bikes prior to the purchase of my LX 160. My first was a 1999 KTM 200 which was the bike I learned on believe it or not! It was a mean little 2 stroke weapon for the bush. I learned fast, thankfully without injury! I then went to a WR250f when they came out (2002 I think it was). Learned HEAPS from this bike over the years. All bush/fun enduro riding. Both these bikes were ridden on camping trips out bush. LOVED THEM. I went to a 2005 YZ 250 in 2005 (2 stroke), and found my love for motocross, but deemed it too dammed dangerous when I started breaking bones, and too expensive when I kept breaking my bike!

So I took a couple of years off, but my appetite was still insatiable! Earlier this year I purchased the Pitster Pro LX160 because I wanted a great bike with a bit of power and do-ability to jump around and have fun on at the local track. I wanted this without the expense of big bikes or without having to spend 10k on a Japanese mini. My philosophy was that if I get a chinese midsize it would cure my insatiable appetite for motocross, at a third of the expense. At that is exactly what it did!

I am 32, 6 ft tall, and 80kg.

Here’s what I think…

SUSPENSION:

My local track is Broadmeadows track here in Melbourne. Most of my time was spent on the mini track, although I did spend quite a bit of time on the main track as well.

The bike was very very well suited to smaller tracks made for the purpose of small bikes. Obviously bigger tracks have bigger ruts and bigger jumps, and well.. are not made for bikes like the LX so therefore take a lot more work. Having said that though, if you have the confidence to get out on the bigger tracks, this bike, with the rear linkage set up that every other smaller bike DOES NOT have, it works as best as you could hope for.
I had to play around with the front for a while to get mainly the rebound right. So after some fiddling around and got it right for my riding, and my weight it was great. Ample travel on them. When I bought the bike there was an option to upgrade to marzocchi, but after some deliberation I decided to stay with the stock suspension and the decision was a good one. I found in time that this suspension handled all the jumping and bumping I did.
As for the rear (DNM) for some reason within literally the first 3 rides the rear suspension blew out twice and I had to replace them both times. On the second replacement though, I was upgraded to the DNM MSX which has a few more adjustment capabilities. I have had no troubles and again once you get it dialled in to your weight and riding style, with the linkage system that you don’t find on other mini/midsize it works a treat.

Rating: 9/10

ENGINE:
My first words when I rode this bike were something along the lines of… ‘Holy shite, this little thing is still dangerous!’ I went with a smaller bike rather than getting back on the big bike to be safer and reduce my chance of injury. But after my first ride, feeling the actual power the little LX has with a big 160 engine it made me think twice!

I gave up using 1st, as it’s way to short, and spent most of my time in 2nd and 3rd. GREAT revability! On the odd occasion it did slip in to neutral, but not often enough to have me spitting chips and getting annoyed. So no probs.

Overall, the engine has pretty damn good power. Enough to make me not get lazy and think these small bike are a pushover. Actually, I would almost say in some facets that these bikes are harder to ride than some big bikes as they are a lot more twitchy and reactive, with a fair degree of power to compare!

The engine is one of this bikes best features.

Rating: 9/10

QUALITY:
Six words for you… It is still a Chinese bike!

Although you could rate this as a top of the range in terms of Chinese goes, it still has Chinese traits. I kept finding things coming loose all the time so had to be very diligent with pre and post ride check ups. I was quite amazed with how much constant fiddling around there was especially knowing the bike was brand new, and basically still is.

I think if you’ve had some experience with Chinese before, you’ll know what to look for and keep checking up on, and if you haven’t had much experience with Chinese, then you’ll get some quick!

Having said that, the niggling things were nothing major. Bolts coming loose etc. No biggie, really, I am just used to Japanese and Austrian quality!

Rating: 6.5/10

Overall Pros:
The engine is bloody awesome. Mix that engine with that full linkage rear suspension and you have a great combo for some awesome fun out on the track. Closest thing to a big bike, at a fraction of the price tag.

I never ended up getting it rec regd, but given the abilities of the engine, it would be much better suited to the bush than most other mini/mid size bikes out there. Again, with the added benefit of that full linkage rear suspension.

Overall Cons:
Man it’s Chinese. This is my first Chinese bike, and I really wasn’t impressed with fiddling around all the time. Having said that, after speaking with other owners of this bike, apparently the amount of fiddling around is mild compared to cheaper bikes and what the Chinese used to provide us with a few years back.

Attachments

• LXR1.jpg
    LXR1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 142
  • LXR2.jpg
    LXR2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 78
Cheers Bulldog,

Nah no photo's can ya believe it! Only rode it a handful of times and never got round to it. It's now all cleaned up and ready to sell.

I tell ya what, I am surprised theres not much talk about this review, such a wicked bike compared to the cheapo's out there...

^^^ prolly cause wogtaz did a review at pretty much the exact same time you did yours... been waiting a month or so for someone to put something about the bike up, and we get belted with two at the same time. lol

I agree its a very great review , between this and my review it should give people plenty of info about the Lxr's.

And beleive me if you had ever dealt with a china bike before this you would definately raise that quality rating :p

Great review mate.

Yeah cheers guys.

I guess this means the quality of china bikes will get even better with time.

Enjoy our reviews peoples! ;0)

Well guys I have to say that after racing ONLY expensive Honda minis for ten years and making the switch to a Pitster Lx 160 myself and racing in pros for a year and going well I was impressed with the build quality. I to had a blow out with the very first edition of the shock, but then fitted the new one and at 95 kgs didnt change anything out back. I found it hooked up and also landed well off jumps. The front was a different story. I looked into what was making me feel unstable and it turned out that i needed 20mm of preload on the fork springs and to remove oil from each fork to a setting of 120mm from the top.This made the bike so good i got the new one just recently and fitted the DOHC kit onto the daytona. WOW i cant wait to race this thing it is so good.

Well guys I have to say that after racing ONLY expensive Honda minis for ten years and making the switch to a Pitster Lx 160 myself and racing in pros for a year and going well I was impressed with the build quality. I to had a blow out with the very first edition of the shock, but then fitted the new one and at 95 kgs didnt change anything out back. I found it hooked up and also landed well off jumps. The front was a different story. I looked into what was making me feel unstable and it turned out that i needed 20mm of preload on the fork springs and to remove oil from each fork to a setting of 120mm from the top.This made the bike so good i got the new one just recently and fitted the DOHC kit onto the daytona. WOW i cant wait to race this thing it is so good.

u got a pic of this thing man would love too see with the DOHC daytona kit :D

sure man here it is.

Attachments

• DSC00274 (Small).JPG
    DSC00274 (Small).JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Imported Photos 00002 (Small).JPG
    Imported Photos 00002 (Small).JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 45
i now own this bike....and its fricken awesome!
i would put the quality up abit more since i haven't had a problem with it beside me cracking the throttle -.- and i've had a 08 motovert
to me the bike feels like a jap bike for some reason (i have riden afew jap bikes)
and easily the best i have riden/owned :D

bikes002-3.jpg

Copyof10102010048.jpg

Latest posts

Back