Owner Review: DHZ Outlaw 160r

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHZ_XR8cing

Master Spanner Spinner
Reaction score
I have had the bike for about 6 weeks now so I figured it was time to do a review. Everything I have written is my opinion only and not at any stage do I claim that any of it is correct to manufacturer***8217;s specifications.This is my first review so please leave comments and suggestions but don***8217;t be too critical of me.
A quick note about the owner.I***8217;m 32yo. 5'10 and I weigh 100kg. I work as a welder. I have no mechanical qualifications but in saying that I have been my own mechanic on all my own bikes and cars over the years. I have owned a few Honda 4 strokes as a younger bloke like an xr250 and a z50 with a ct90 engine. I had not owned a bike in over 10 years so I brought a 2nd hand DT200r and restored it back to brand new and registered it. I got bored with it then decided to get into mini bikes and that brings me to this.

DHZ Outlaw 160r
CRF70 style race bike

Build Date
8th of April 2010

Cost
$1750

packaging
RATING 6/10
The bike was packed bolted into a steal frame and wrapped in cardboard. It was heavy to lift into the Ute but possible with 2 blokes. I unloaded it on my own pretty easy.
The whole bike was plastic wrapped in individual pieces to prevent scratching.
There was plastic protective strips cable tied to the forks that left impressions of the cable ties in the stickers.
There was a nut and washer missing from the bracket that holds the front break lever to the number plate and a few random bolts laying around in the bottom of the box that I later realised where parts of the bike.
Although packaged secure the smaller hardware items could have been wrapped better to prevent loose bolts floating around in the box and missing. Hence the low rating.

First Impressions
RATING 9.5/10
When I first looked over the bike I was very happy at how good it all looked and I was impressed with its quality of all the anodized and brushed alloy parts. I noticed at first glance that like any other mini bike it needed the obvious upgrades like new bars, chain and tyres.

Assembly
RATING 8/10
I started by un-bolting all the top half of the steel frame leaving the bike bolted into the bottom half. I cut all the cable ties and tape holding all the parts. I bolted the handle bars on which I found a good move as it gave me something to hold onto when lifting it out of the steel frame. I put pro tapers on it straight away. I didn***8217;t worry about using the standard bars. Most of the bike is assembled and only basic tools are needed to finish it off. The wheels, brakes, bars, exhaust, rear shock and plastics had to be fitted.
I used locktite on everything that I put on. Every nut and bolt had its place and went together well. I found it a bit annoying that there was so many different size bolts holding everything together and some where hex head and others were Allen key head. I would of been more happy with all the bolts been the same style with the same size head. The foot peg mounts are bolted to the frame with sturdy big bolts and I liked that idea opposed to other brand bikes welding there mounts to the frame. One problem I found was the frame is tapped to accommodate the bolts and the threads were very ordinary to say the least.

Frame
RATING 9/10
The frame is a Heavy Duty Chromolly Twin Tube Cradle Frame.
The first thing I noticed about the frame is up the front where the frame is welded to the head stock area it sits lower on this bike than it does on the CRF50 style bikes giving this bike a lower feel to it but maintaining a nice seat height and practical suspension height and travel.
The frame looks well made and looks strong. The rear sub frame only goes 3/4 of the way along the rear guard and does not loop around like the previous model bike. I like the older 1 better as it made it easier to lift the bike onto stands. The sub frame has rubber caps on the frame where the frame ends under the guard and mine have fallen off.
The fuel tank holds 5.5 litres sits further forward up the frame and gives it more of a big bike look to it and in my opinion is a fantastic cosmetic upgrade on this model.
The Tank is rubber mounted up front on a bracket in conjunction with the oil cooler and it***8217;s easy to get to. There is a rubber block shaped to the frame at the back of the tank and the tank seems to sit off it about 10mm until weight is applied on the seat. I felt this could have been done a bit better.
Engine
Rating 8/10 ....9.5/10 with modifications

2010 PitsterPro z160 HO Engine
It***8217;s all a little confusing to me exactly what the engine it. It***8217;s a 160 ho but also known as a 155z. Its make is ZongShen and this model has the upgraded 6 plate heavy duty Daytona clutch, removable oil filter and its oil cooled. It has a 30mm Mikuni Racing Carburettor on it and the choke lever is up on the bars with the clutch. I found this to be easy on start up to get to and didn***8217;t get in the way at all.
The exhaust is a 32mm alloy big bore exhaust that looks very nice and fits on the bike very tidy.
The wiring is simple and tidy and hides away in the frame nicely.
On 1st start up the bike took a fair bit of kicking to get it running. It idled well once running. I didn***8217;t have to touch the carbie at all. It revved freely and had no engine rattle at all and the exhaust note was much quieter than I had expected or hoped. It rode very well and picked up very quick. I was surprised at how well it went to be honest. It didn***8217;t struggle lifting the front wheel without over revving.

Suspension
RATING 9/10
Front forks are GPX Moto Black Label 735mm USD Forks, Rebound and Compression Adjustment and I found them soft to start with but once I fiddled with the adjustments it was amazing at the difference a few increments made.
The rear suspension is DNM shock with an 850LBS spring Piggy back style. 290L. Rebound and Compression Adjustment make it a very good shock and I would say would suit any type of rider from kids to adults.
After upgrading to this bike I can***8217;t believe how good the suspension is compared to the previous model bike and other bikes without adjustable suspension.

Ergonomics and Handling
Rating 9.5/10
Straight out of the box I found the ergonomics of this bike to be awsome. The bar height and distance made for a very comfy sitting position and all the levers and controls were easy to get to. The seat has a high feel to it. The bike has a fat feel to it compared to other model bikes and this gives the bike a bigger feel to it and this 1 thing alone double my confidence in riding both recreation and racing.

Other
The brakes are a twin piston calliper and a 210mm disc and could stand the bike on its nose quiet easy. They stop the bike very well with minimum effort.
The rear brakes are a single piston calliper with a 200mm disc and the same as the front stop the bike very well. The lever moves about 20mm from its neutral position to lock the rear wheel so it takes little effort to use.
The tyres are innova replicas and although I have never ridden on innova's id say these tyres peform nowhere near that of an innova.The tyres are not very good at all.
The triple clamps are a nice looking GPX Billet CNC Black Anodized and are of high quality.
The handle grips are grey and half are smooth and the other half has small squares over them and I found them to be hard and uncomfy and after about half hour of ridding my hands felt numb.
The muffler part of the exhaust I had dramas with at my first race. It fell apart. It***8217;s in 4 pieces. There is the outer housing, 2 end caps and the baffle insert. The baffle bolts to the end cap that the exhaust pipe slips into. The baffle with the cap bolted to it slides inside the outer skin then the rear end cap bolts to it from the outside.They are the 4 allan head bolts that can be seen when looking from the rear of the exhaust. The 4 bolts that hold the baffle to the 1st cap were not in my muffler and because it***8217;s in the pipe it can***8217;t be seen and this is why my pipe fell apart. Was an easy fix but annoying.

Summary
I was leaning towards getting a bike with linkage suspension but after ridding this bike I don***8217;t see what all the hype is about. This thing handles and steers like any other top quality bike. The engine gives a smooth and easily controlled power delivery and would suit any rider from novice to expert. I***8217;m very impressed with the bike overall and would recommend it to anyone that is in the market for a bike that can quiet easily match it with the x4r,lxr or revmx in any way both performance and handling.

IMG_1279.jpg

forks.jpg

Engine.jpg

enginelhs.jpg

frontbrakes.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

tripleclamps.jpg

I Know I have rambled on but I hope I have helped some one in decididng towards buying one of these bikes and im sure you will be as impressed by it as I am.
Thanks for taking the time to read my review.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice nice mate wicked,,, seeing them pics and tha has just sealed the deal for me im oon team for one now.
(looks better in real life ic's then on web site)

Thanks mate. I had more in it about my mods but I had gone over my word allowance and couldnt put it in it

can i ask what you change ur back tyre to at all, cos i know tha ones tha come on pitster pro and these are the same and dnt last long at all.

I changed my back tyre to a Pirelli Scorpion.Im Very impressed with them. I got a Medium but Id probably go to a medium/soft next time.

Its not on there any more because I have fitted a 26mm OKO. In the pics its not the standard head either.Its the TB v2

oh ok cool cool yah my x4r had them rims big black ones with cnc hubs, but i found the rear one was getting cained out at the chain wheel i think cos there 2piece hubs, think i'll hit up new one tho,, still a wicked bike cant wait till i can get mind monmomomo :)

Latest posts

Back