Owner Review: DHZ Outlaw 160r

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put a Monster kit on my Outlaw 160R, it looks heaps better than the DHZ decals.

I know every man and his dog has got the Monster kit but its cheap and easy to find.

Attachments

• IMAG0113.jpg
    IMAG0113.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 394
I like the DHZ kit. Not fussed on red but the design is good. Had many dramas with your bike mate?

I didn't really like the red dhz kit. Reminds me of a 1980 posty bike. I like there new design though, but I got the old one.

Had a few probs, nothing too major. Bent rear disc, Carby probs, and a cracked banjo bolt on an oil hose.

Anyone considering buying one of these bikes be very careful of the frame where the shock bolts to. It bends very easy. Im about to go onto my 3rd frame. DHZ have supplied all 3 free of charge.

lol haha Im about to buy a dhz crf70 frame... what do you reckon.... Will it break and also what type of riding were to doing to cause it to bend.

Cheers Carlton

I was racing. It will bend eventually on any type of riding. It would need some modifications. There is meant to be anew shipment in soon that has the problem resolved but I was told this about my last frame aswell so be careful.

Thats disappointing to hear about the frame issues. I have just bought a 160 for myself and a 140 for my eldest

Your bike may have the new frame. Ken at DHZ has been excelent about it so you can rest assured that you will be looked after by him.

I just bought one too, based on your great review and started riding it in today.

I'm really impressed with it so far, but I thought the top shock mount looked pretty flimsy when I assembled the bike and now that you've warned us I'll keep an eye on it. Carrying my 100kg carcass over jumps, I assume it will eventually go.

Did the ones that failed on you buckle to the sides and did the failure cause any other damage?

Last edited:
It sort of pushed the shock off to one side on the 1st frame which put alot of pressure on the bolt and bush in the shock.
The 2nd frame it hase bent it and pushed it straight up and now the bracket hits on the shock above where the bolt goes through.

<Make sure you pull your clutch side cover off and check the 2 castle nuts in there to make sure they are tight and check them regularly.

It sort of pushed the shock off to one side on the 1st frame which put alot of pressure on the bolt and bush in the shock.
The 2nd frame it hase bent it and pushed it straight up and now the bracket hits on the shock above where the bolt goes through.
Not sure if its related or not but at the same time this happened my swing arm bearings calapsed. Apart from that there was no other damage.

<Make sure you pull your clutch side cover off and check the 2 castle nuts in there to make sure they are tight and check them regularly.

is there much involved in removing the clutch cover and checking the 2 nuts

nothing at all mate.
Drain the oil.
Take off anything that will get in the way of the cover coming off.Should be much if anything.
Take out all th bolts that hold the case on including the one that holds the clutch cable lever.
remember wat bolt goes where as they are different lenghts.
Once you have it off you will see 1 of the bolts in front of the clutch basket on the main crank shaft.
The other bolt is in the clutch basket behind the 4 bolts and the plate. You will have to take them out to get to the other nut.
If they are loose you will need one of these to tighten them up.

Clutch Basket & Oil Sling Remover - DHZ Mini Moto

Hope this helps.

Sorry I am new at this, do I need the oil sling remover tool to remove the basket and check the second nut or does the basket simply just come out to enable access to the second nut.
Is a new gasket required once the cover is removed, and how many hrs would you recommend between checks

Thankyou for your assistance

Dont be sorry. We are all learning. Our bikes dont have an oil slinger but we do need that tool to tighten the 2 nuts if they are loose. You wont need the tool to take off the 4 bolts and the plate off the clutch basket to check the nut but you will need it if they are loose..
If your careful removing thecover you wont need a new gasket. Wipe it all clean with a rag before assembly.
I check my nuts before each race meeting. you will know wen they have come right off because your clutch lever wont pull in but you dont want it to come to that.

Anyone considering buying one of these bikes be very careful of the frame where the shock bolts to. It bends very easy. Im about to go onto my 3rd frame. DHZ have supplied all 3 free of charge.
Maybe its time to revise your first review on that matter ;)...the frame clearly has issues so the rating is pretty much off!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back