Painting frame q's

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1980z50j

Reaction score
I am cosidering getting my z50's frame repainted, how much generally would this cost to do and what actually needs to be done? thanks

i got mine sand blasted, wasframe swinger, tank, rims, hubs few other bits was bout 75$ then got 2pac paint and hardner off same fella was lucky there total 120$ brought spray gun pac super cheep 45$.
Already got compresor and hoses was 1st time spraying and mixing using 2pac paint come up sweet,even got paint left over for :)

do it your self then;) but ya dont pull a dodgy... you will spend way more time cleaning and prepairing then painting it...
strip it down, use some degreaser and a wire brush and clean it of grease and dirt.
scratch it up a bit sand it, prime it, paint it, paint it, paint it, clear coat it, clear coat it, ect.

cheapest way would be,
You'll need:
Sand paper, you can get an assorted pack (different grits)
Primer (self etching)
High gloss enamel (Whatever colour you want)
Prepsol

To start just sand your frame you dont have to go to metal but if you want it to last do it, the time is worth it. Then use prepsol it is a wax and grease remover (Some people use turps) go over a 3-4 times with a clean rag.

Then you are up to painting start with your primer, Get a bucket of hot water and leave it in their for 5 minutes. it paints a lot better when the paint is warm, do a really light first coat dont blitz it and the second coat do it like you would with normal paint. Let that dry over night, and then use the paint...Heat it up like the primer and then do a really light coat to start same as primeer just take it easy then give it more do 3-4 coates...

Result is pretty good and you would be able to pick this all up and do it for around $30 mabey even cheaper.

Hope that helps, anyone can correct me thats just how i have been tought.

Last edited:
yeh, a ok paint to use is "septone" its at supercheap for like 10-12 bucks.
also i am trying one called rust-oleum from bunnings, fairly new to there and its 11 bucks .
il let ya know how it turns out;)

i did mine with a wire wheel attachment on a drill, then hung it up in the shed & let loose with 4 cans of red & 2 cans of clear

Thats why im going to a new paint its not emanel its called Por-15 its crazy strong and very very hard top chip i tried with a hammer and no success haha

Latest posts

Back