Performance upgrades guidelines: Stage I-III

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve put this one together, hopefully to help those riders new to minis, or new to bikes on the whole, with the idea that all the questions can be answered in one section, in one thread.

Gearing- Changing the gearing on your bike by going to a smaller countershaft sprocket is a cheap way to make your bike accelerate faster. It will be at the cost of top speed, and wont give you any more power, but it will be quicker from whoa to go.

Going from a 17tooth front sprocket to a 15 is the equivalent of dropping between 6 and 9 teeth on the back sprocket.

you mean going from f17 to f15 is equivalent of going UP 5 teeth on the rear sprocket.?

eg:
17f 37r = 2.18
to
15f 37r = 2.47

if (up 5teeth rear from 37r):
17f 42r =2.47

Attachments

• ratiochart.jpg
    ratiochart.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 27
^^^ yes mate, you're absolutely right. My apologies for getting it the wrong way around.. :)

hey is a 1/4 billet throttle like really easy to put on? coz if it aint dead easy im screwed haha. i have been looking at getting one. but don't wanna get it if i need to change like throttle cables.. can i just take off the old throttle and put this one in its places and then screw the old throttle cable back in?? or am i way off? lol also whats a good cdi unit to get?? nothing extreme just wanna upgrade my piss poor one!

Hey Rach, yes a 1/4 turn throttle is a pretty much bolt on item... you undo the two bolts holding the old one on, take off the bottom half of the housing, which will expose the the throttle "shoulder" and cable. removing the cable from the old throttle handle is a simple process, which will make it self obvious when you take the housing off. remove the cable end or "mushroom" from the shoulder and remove the throttle handle, then undo the cable adjusting nut (where the cable meets the throttle housing) and pull the cable through the housing. Slide your new 1/4 turn throttle onto the bars, feed the cable into the new housing, (most 1/4 turns will require you to take the plastic cover off, which allows you to feed the cable around the bearing, and into the throttle handle "shoulder" so the cable is hooked into the handle. replace the housing cover, and bolt on the bottom half of the housing, and tighten both.
An easy way to put the throttle grip onto the new throttle, is to smear either a teeeeeeeeny bit of oil inside the grip, or a quick spray of WD-40 inside the grip... dont overdo it.... then quickly slide the grip onto the throttle handle. (also works for the clutch side).
Before anyone says "You cant make a grip stay on if you get it on with oil or wd-40 as a lubricant" try it... the oil, WD-40 or even petrol dries very quickly, and also reacts with the rubber of the grip, and in a small way "vulcanises" the grip to the bars... have always used this method, and very rarely have i had to use grip wire as a back up...

As for the CDI, the best ones i've found, are the blue ones with the small LED light on them to show the engine firing... Can get em for about $10 on ebay... They dont make a huge difference to the performance of the engine, but they do provide a stronger spark, higher rev ceiling in most cases, and i like them cause they have a pretty little light on them... ha ha ha... Nah, the light is useful mostly when your bike is hard to start... If it lights up when you kick the engine over, you have spark running to the plug... if it doesnt light up, you dont have spark... handy little diagnostic tool if you're bike isnt running....

you need a longer than stock throttle cable for a 1/4 turn. And a 1/4 together with an oko flatty needs an even longer cable. It's very simple to change a cable and install the throttle

^^^not necessarily DVDRip, neither of my OKO's or 1/4 turn throttles required new cables...
Yes some do, but not all... do the adjustment first, and go from there..

ah k must just be shitty pitpro stooging me again, to fit the oko I had to cut about 15mm off the outer cable.

lol think you got stooged there DVDrip... that's why you buy DHZ or build awesome yellow Bling Bikes... (or poofter CRF50 stuntmobiles) ;)
Some cables are a bit short, but most should be adjustable for the 1/4 turn throttles... the ones that have a "blank" end of cable going into the throttle, and a "barrel and locknut" type adjuster may not fit, but ones with a threaded bolt and locknut cable end adjuster should be long enough...

Gimmie some links to some good cdi units??? looking at the dhz 1/4 throttle... good choice?? i couldn't find any cdi units with "flashing lights" lol and they were all like 30 bucks! link me uppp!!!

I think he's talking about the little blue one with the bull on it, all over ebay. I wouldn't bother with a cdi unless there's something wrong with yours.
Thoes billet CNC throttles on DHZ are the best ones, you can get a much better price tho.

what if people have 17"/14" wheels? the carlsbad and millevilles aren't available, the michelin starcross' are the go ;)

Latest posts

Back