Pitbike won't start! - Fire!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emilio

Reaction score
Hey everyone just brought a motovert frame with a lifan 140cc engine in it, bike was running fine was riding it for a little bit and let it idle then i revved it no bigger than half throttle and it stopped it was a kind of shattering sound but not 100% sure, have cleaned carboy multiple times,drained oil to see if there are any shaving or and engine problems,checked i have spark,killswitch is unplugged aswell to make sure,when i kick it now there is backfiring coming from the carby and the exhaust, carboy nearly caught on fire aswell :/ please i need help i have put quiet some money on this bike! thanks

Welcome to Miniriders,

Have you tried checking/adjusting the valves ?
the engine needs to be at TDC, and the clearances need to be set at .003" for the inlet and .004" for the exhaust

[video=youtube;QJciyJRJh8Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJciyJRJh8Q[/video]

Thanks for that i will give it a crack! but would that be a major problem and would just stop the bike? if i have spark that means my stator and all the electrical is fine? thanks!

10816028_10205476020845049_1505663303_n.jpg This is the wiring does it look all good to you is there any concerns?

might pay just to check the flywheel first.
the cover on the left side of the engine is held on by 2x or 3x 8mm headed bolts.
undo them and remove, then the cover should just lift off the engine.
check that the flywheel is tight on the end of the crankshaft, wobble it to check.

Yes i have checked that! i tighten the bolt and checked the cam chain! its on point aswell! would it be electrical? i just don't get how it was running mint then all of asudent like stopped with that weird noise! everything seems to be fine! if I'm getting spark to the spark plug that means there is no problem with the electrics? and also if that photo is the two green wires meant to be connected together or not?

If you are getting some spark next on line check if fuel is getting to the carb. lf that is ok then move towards maybe a manifold leak problem or a valve inspection . you can spray some fuel down the plug hole . If that starts then you may have a carb problem . You need to jot down a checklist when you have problems .

example

spark check
fuel check
wiring check

it will be a lot easier to pin point a problem

Spark plug getting spark
Carby is getting fuel
Oil is clean,
Just have no idea what's left might take it into a shop this week, because I've gone over all that I can and its just not kicking over, and just out of nowhere do this weird shattering noise and turn off is what's putting me off :/ hope I can fix it without paying a lot of $$

wiring look''s fine from what we can see,
green to green,
blue w/white to blue w/white
and black w/red to black w/red,

so does the flywheel turn when you kick it over ?

flywheel turns when i kick it, i tighten the nut that is on it, check the timing chain thats on the mark, not sure what else to even check!

rockers, not uncommon for them to break. (Look at valve clearances)
Then clutch side after that..

What you mean by rockers? I'll buy some feeler guages tomorrow and see what the go is! Any other thoughts anyone

What you mean by rockers? I'll buy some feeler guages tomorrow and see what the go is! Any other thoughts anyone
remove the valve covers, and look to see if you see arms there *Rockers slide on the cam and push the valves open*
They take a lot of load and over time with china parts that equals disaster :p

So what would I be looking for? Any wear on the rockers that come out from the top and the bottom ones, also anybody know any good service places in Melbourne who won't charge much to fix the problem? Would rather get it all sorted by someone who has a better idea then myself! I'm in Melbourne Victoria

It will cost if you take it to a bike shop but depends how much is wrong with it?

Where about's are you in Melb?

Did you get the feeler gauge and check the valve clearances? Follow the video Craig posted on the first page.

as your engine wears , the inlet and exhaust valves need the clearances adjusted every so often, to keep them closed when they should be.
if the rockers have no clearance to the valves when they are shut, then you will lose compression and can also burn out the valves.
and it can cause other problem's with the carby (backfiring etc)

Thanks! I love in mount waverley,10 minute drive from chadston! If anyone could help me out and go over it would be mad, i could drop the bike off and would pay a resonable cash if you can get it back to normal! Thanks everyone for there input!

If anyone could diagnose the problem and is around Chadstone area would be a great help, ill bring bike over or can come to me, will pay money if i can get it fixed just dont want to take it into a shop and get over charged as i dont have alot of money to blow, thanks again!

Latest posts

Back