Pitpro 160SE, rear shock help please.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wow ban away then if I'm being belligerent....I said ill consult my mate who is a chemical engineer mate I went to school with....lives in Singapore and works for fosters, he did a double degree chemical engineering and economics. He will know! I also said ill do my shock with 79% nitrogen and see what happens all well knowing its not going to blow up unless I'm a red neck who pumps it up so hard it'll actually heat up and turn into a bomb! I think the fact you're threatening me as a mod when I'm simply asking a question that is yet to be answered is well ****ing immature corpdog

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk

You want to pull your head in again lad, im sick to death of your crap. Stay off this topic now. You act like the school yard bully and we all know what eventually happens to the bully in the end. I don't like the way you do business.

Last edited:
Craig is correct about the nitrogen, if it was as simple as putting air in a canister than why would a business bother having a nitrogen machine, Nitrogen does not heat up like air, and yep it does stop seals from ****ting themselves, nitrogen having larger molecules than oxygen means the shock will have a much longer maintenance interval. Im not a molecular big bang theorist but we do have a nitrogen machine at work and its not an oxygen machine.

Last edited:
lmao, boy did sh*t just get real or what!!!!!
have to say i completely agree with craig, chops, rotn50 etc etc, sorry stu. the fact that our air is made up of nitrogen does not mean it can be used as a effective nitrogen replacement, for all the reasons given above. No im no scientist or engineer, but i did spend half hour google-ing it and you seem to be the only one recommending air. Also read that a compressor is not what you should be using to fill your shock anyway, as its likely to blow the seals out just filling it (something to do with pressurising such a small chamber to quickly)

there is nothing wrong with asking questions, but you need to be able to accept the answers to those questions, whether they are what you want to hear or not!

he still thinks you can do it.
but hasn't had a reply from his Chemist mate yet either.
he did txt me and said we will have to agree to disagree on the percentage of inert gas in the atmosphere...

well the first problem with that statement is, Nitrogen is not formally an Inert gas
taken from Wiki-
An inert gas is a gas which does not undergo chemical reactions under a set of given conditions. The noble gases and nitrogen often do not react with many substances.
Inert gases are used generally to avoid unwanted chemical reactions degrading a sample.
These undesirable chemical reactions are often oxidation and hydrolysis reactions with the oxygen and moisture in air.
The term inert gas is context-dependent because nitrogen gas and several of the noble gases can be made to react under certain conditions.

but Nitrogen is a lot more stable than Oxygen, that is why it is used in the Aircraft Industry.
they use it to fill the Tyres etc,
when a plane lands, the tyres go from being still to needing to accelerate to the planes' landing speed.
when it first touches it spins and smokes as it accelerates, this heats up the Nitrogen inside the tyre.
Nitrogen doesn't expand anywhere near the rate of Oxygen
it is also used in a lot of the Hydraulic systems in the plane too.
Nitrogen molecules are larger than Oxygen molecules as well, so they find it harder to get through the rubber
and also it doesn't corrode the magnesium wheels too.

mixing Pure Oxygen and oil/grease is going to make an explosion with the heat causing it to spontaneously combust.
normal atmospheric/compressed air doesn't do this though

lol, i guess he just cant be told, i no i wouldnt be putting air into any of my shocks, simply because if nitrogen molecules are bigger, nitrogen would feel alot better than air simply because of the greater force required to compress those large molecules, making the air filled shock extremely soft compared to the stiffer nitrogen filled shock. thats just common sense, and not even taking into account the other more serious problems with using air that you have provided above ;)

Thats pretty cool craig, I knew they had nitrogen in there tyres but couldn't remember why....
By the way some of the larger aircraft eg B-747 or A380 are able to spin their tyre up before touch down but it still is not quite fast enough and still leaves some smoke behind.

Latest posts

Back