Pitpro backfiring in the first 5-10 minutes of riding

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrum

Reaction score
Hey guys, since a few days ago... after I leave my bike overnight and start it the next day and let it warm up with the choke on for 10 seconds and about 10-15 without the choke and then click into first gear and start riding and then when I turn the throttle in the higher gears the engine starts backfiring really loud and the engine starts slowing down (sort of like when it runs out of fuel) but then goes normally after a few seconds and then that keeps on happening for about 10 minutes and then the bike starts to go normally. I may have gotten a bit of water in the carby but just before I washed the air filter out with petrol and have sprayed all the parts on the bike that I usually spray with CRC/WD40. Can anyone tell me if this is normal and can be fixed or if I may have screwed up the engine somehow! Please reply soon :)

it might have water in one of the connections coil to loom, kill switch to loom, stator to loom etc.
just pull them, all apart and spray them with crc and reassemble it.

have you opened the drain screw on the bottom of the fuel bowl?
if not, drain it into a clean icecream container and see if there is any water there.

otherwise it could be that the Pilot Jet is a bit too small for your engine.
when the bike is warmed up and you blip the throttle is there any hesitation at all ?

has it ever been jetted/tuned properly ?

other thing to check is the spark plug, fit a brand new NGK C7HSA,
or a better plug is an NGK CR7HIX but it is 4 times the price.

it might have water in one of the connections coil to loom, kill switch to loom, stator to loom etc.
just pull them, all apart and spray them with crc and reassemble it.

have you opened the drain screw on the bottom of the fuel bowl?
if not, drain it into a clean icecream container and see if there is any water there.

otherwise it could be that the Pilot Jet is a bit too small for your engine.
when the bike is warmed up and you blip the throttle is there any hesitation at all ?

has it ever been jetted/tuned properly ?

other thing to check is the spark plug, fit a brand new NGK C7HSA,
or a better plug is an NGK CR7HIX but it is 4 times the price.

Sorry to sounds stupid, but what do you mean by kill switch, loom and Strator? Is that where the cord on the kill switch leads?
I'll try and drain the bowl tomorrow! Thanks heaps for the help (too dark to do anything now)

the main wiring loom is where all the electrical components plug into
eg ignition coil, kill switch, and the stator is behind the l/h cover of the engine, it is what sends the power to the cdi unit and lets the bike start when you kick it over.

the main wiring loom is where all the electrical components plug into
eg ignition coil, kill switch, and the stator is behind the l/h cover of the engine, it is what sends the power to the cdi unit and lets the bike start when you kick it over.

So how would I get to this to check if it's all okay? I've never done anything like this with my bike yet

look up under the fuel tank there will be 3 or 4 plugs/sockets on your loom
unplug them one at a time, spray with wd40 etc, and plug them back in together
then move onto the next plug/socket and do the same

look up under the fuel tank there will be 3 or 4 plugs/sockets on your loom
unplug them one at a time, spray with wd40 etc, and plug them back in together
then move onto the next plug/socket and do the same

So it's fine to spray the electrical bits with wd40!?

Def need to cover the air filter also if you wash your bike. Water is heavier than fuel and will sit right in the bottom of the carby where the main jet sucks up the fuel. Have you sorted it mate?

Latest posts

Back