Popular kick method.......?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clinton3

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been reading all the threads about how to kick start your big bore pit bike.

'one click past TDC then kick'

But I've just come back from DHZ and the guys there recon otherwise.

The guys at DHZ recon you find TDC, bring up the kicker then KICK!

Every time I do this it starts first go, but every time I click it once past TDC then kick it kicks back.

It's a 160cc YX motor.

Does anyone else kick it this way?

Cheers

Clinton

difinatly go past top dead centre and after you kick it dont leave your foot down on the kick starter as it fires.

The mechanics at DHZ disagree. And so does my bike...... :-/

I'm not saying your wrong. I'm just getting clashing info

im one of the people who dont usually bother trying to find TDC unless it is hard to start but most the time i can wheel mine out and first random kick it starts

EDIT: every engine is different remember these are chinesse engines and we all know there not very consistent on things so if something is 1mm different its going to have different out comes best example of this was the yx150 cylinders they ranged from a certain length varying the compression ratio of the engine

Last edited:
I used to kick mine on TDC and after less than 2 hours i had a dead engne. Cracked centre case and stripped out starter gears.
Do what works for you mate and as time goes by get bck to us on how it went. Thnanks

lol, to me, sounds like the same thing, something maybe missed here. at or just past tdc(compression stroke), dont think it should make much, if any diff(correct me if im wrong). as long as its not before. dont know what your measure of one click is.. and as DHZ_ says, dont leave your foot there, unless you want to damage something(you included). should always be kicking from the top or near the top any way(right?).

I find the same thing occurs... I think this is due to the ****ty timing curve on the stock CDI units, they fire almost exactly at top dead rather than a fraction past which results in the kick back. With your weight on the kicker it keeps the engine spinning the direction it should and the thing continues to fire.

That said, I quite often just boot it (especially once warm). As Westy says, I do the same with big bikes, especially after I nearly got kicked off my XR400 back in the day... When rebuilding, always reconnect the kick start auto decomp, or remember to pull the lever :p

im the same, i usually just jump on and kick for gold.. but my bike is tuned pretty sweet..

new engines sometimes arent so forgiving..

when you push the kicker down to find TDC, the second little bit is actually TDC.. you can even set your rockers in this location.. (sus out your magneto marks or cam dot location to verify)

The idea of it is so that when you put your full force on the kick starter its starting to turn the engine over a milli second after the compression stroke. I feel for the piston to be at TDC and slightly put pressure on it til i feel it move then kick.

Id say we all do it the right way and the same way but word it all different because lets face it we are talking about milimetres here.

Latest posts

Back